Could Reggie Robinson have a future at Safety?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
All the talk recently has all been about acquiring Jamal Adams and upgrading the safety position. We could have an intriguing safety prospect already on the roster not name Donovan Wilson, but rather Reggie Robinson:

-He is a former High School Safety
-Came from a zone heavy, defensive scheme at Tulsa
-Considered to have strong ball skills, is tenacious run defender
-Is considered a project at CB needing a lot of development with his technique, footwork
-Needs work in adapting to press coverage

It will be interesting to see if they start him at Safety as that is the quickest way to get him playing meaniful snaps. If they develop him as a CB, he probably won't be able to see the field in any capacity outside of special teams until 2021. Corner is the more important position, so it's quite possible they play the long game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
All the talk recently has all been about acquiring Jamal Adams and upgrading the safety position. We could have an intriguing safety prospect already on the roster not name Donovan Wilson, but rather Reggie Robinson:

-He is a former High School Safety
-Came from a zone heavy, defensive scheme at Tulsa
-Considered to have strong ball skills, is tenacious run defender
-Is considered a project at CB needing a lot of development with his technique, footwork
-Needs work in adapting to press coverage

It will be interesting to see if they start him at Safety as that is the quickest way to get him playing meaniful snaps. If they develop him as a CB, he probably won't be able to see the field in any capacity outside of special teams until 2021. Corner is the more important position, so it's quite possible they play the long game.

Personally I would rather see him play corner. Two of our top 3 corners are going to fleece during FA.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Personally I would rather see him play corner. Two of our top 3 corners are going to fleece during FA.
Yeah if I'm not mistaken Anthony Brown re-signed for one year. Lewis and Chido are free agents. I personally don't see any of them coming back. Its like if they all play well they will be too much for us to retain. If they suck......they'd probably move on because of it.

In their best interest for Robinson to play corner if he's truly a corner.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah if I'm not mistaken Anthony Brown re-signed for one year. Lewis and Chido are free agents. I personally don't see any of them coming back. Its like if they all play well they will be too much for us to retain. If they suck......they'd probably move on because of it.

Exactly. I don't think they are coming back.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Really need to hit on Diggs and Robinson this season. Well help fill the void in2021.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

With the numbers at the corner this year, they may feel there is a shorter path if he transitions to safety for year 1. It is my understanding Nolan's scheme requires more corner skills than run support with his safeties. Quarter press scheme is going to have the two safeties back protecting the press corners for giving up the big play. If the team loses Awuzie, Lewis, Worley, they have an entire off-season to develop Robinson as a CB in year 2. With minimal on field training this year, it he maybe better served playing the safety position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Brown signed a 3 year contract extension. With all the numbers this year, Robinson will not see the field as a corner, but has a chance as a safety.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Totally agree and been saying that.

If they play well we cant afford them, if they dont, then they really never have, and time to move on.

Put Woods in that discussion also as far as I'm concerned.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Brown signed a 3 year contract extension. With all the numbers this year, Robinson will not see the field as a corner, but has a chance as a safety.
I don't know about that at all.

He is definitely going to dress because he fits the bill to improve the special teams, so I can see him in some dime packages early on.

I also think the team is going to aggressively try to overhaul the secondary, and I certainly hope they worry more about implementing the younger guys than appeasing the ones who wont be here next year.

In that case youd be starting over this time next year. I wouldnt think anyone wants that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
With the numbers at the corner this year, they may feel there is a shorter path if he transitions to safety for year 1. It is my understanding Nolan's scheme requires more corner skills than run support with his safeties. Quarter press scheme is going to have the two safeties back protecting the press corners for giving up the big play. If the team loses Awuzie, Lewis, Worley, they have an entire off-season to develop Robinson as a CB in year 2. With minimal on field training this year, it he maybe better served playing the safety position.

Teach the kid whatever position he is going to be playing. As corner is more important I would rather see him there.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They need to figure out his best position and leave him there, not pull a Byron Jones on him

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm sorry I stand corrected. I thought he signed a one year deal for like 1.5 million....don't know where I got that from.

I disagree with you about Robinson. I don't think he makes a immediate impact but its not like he has much in front of him. If he's not getting on the field at corner he's definitely not getting on the field at free safety.

Exactly. I don't think they are coming back.
Yeah...I said the same about Anthony Brown though so who knows but I really see Chido getting overpaid and I think Lewis gets compensated well too.

Really need to hit on Diggs and Robinson this season. Well help fill the void in2021.
Yeah that would be ideal. Different scenario but remember when we thought we had the worst receivers in the league in 2018? Traded for Cooper and hit on Gallup and all of a sudden it became a strength. It would be nice to have that same impact.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don't know about that at all.

He is definitely going to dress because he fits the bill to improve the special teams, so I can see him in some dime packages early on.

I also think the team is going to aggressively try to overhaul the secondary, and I certainly hope they worry more about implementing the younger guys than appeasing the ones who wont be here next year.

In that case youd be starting over this time next year. I wouldnt think anyone wants that.

It's all going to be about trust. We saw last season, Donovan Wilson have a great camp, but only played minimal snaps, even with Jeff Heath in and out of the lineup. Thompson wasn't as good as Wilson, but the coaches trusted him more.

The secondary as a whole needs to be rebuilt. We believe Diggs/Robinson are apart of the future, but nobody else spot is in pen after this season. DB is going to be a priority need in 2021 no matter what as they have future holes at both CB and Safety.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's all going to be about trust. We saw last season, Donovan Wilson have a great camp, but only played minimal snaps, even with Jeff Heath in and out of the lineup. Thompson wasn't as good as Wilson, but the coaches trusted him more.

The secondary as a whole needs to be rebuilt. We believe Diggs/Robinson are apart of the future, but nobody else spot is in pen after this season. DB is going to be a priority need in 2021 no matter what as they have future holes at both CB and Safety.
Thompson was interesting. I don't know how good he was but for a secondary lacking plays....he seemed to pop up a lot.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Teach the kid whatever position he is going to be playing. As corner is more important I would rather see him there.

It's about maximizes your roster for the current year. Awuzie, Diggs, Worley, Brown, Lewis, Canady are all ahead of him on the depth chart. Leaving Robinson at CB as a rookie would be like a red-shirt season, as he will be a special teams only player. You would think they want to get his feet wet in some capacity.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Thompson was interesting. I don't know how good he was but for a secondary lacking plays....he seemed to pop up a lot.

There was a clear drop-off when Heath couldn't play due to injury. Thompson is just an average, backup safety with zero upside.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's about maximizes your roster for the current year. Awuzie, Diggs, Worley, Brown, Lewis, Canady are all ahead of him on the depth chart. Leaving Robinson at CB as a rookie would be like a red-shirt season, as he will be a special teams only player. You would think they want to get his feet wet in some capacity.

It's about maximizes your roster for the current year.

LOL...……...says who you? Ridiculous. Teach the kid the position he is going to play and was drafted to play.

If that's safety, play him at safety, if that's corner, play him at corner.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There was a clear drop-off when Heath couldn't play due to injury. Thompson is just an average, backup safety with zero upside.
The drop off wasn't because Heath was great. The drop-off was because this coaching staff can't seem to coach when guys aren't available.

Thompson is average. Wasn't implying he wasn't. He's not starting for us.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's about maximizes your roster for the current year.

LOL...……...says who you? Ridiculous. Teach the kid the position he is going to play and was drafted to play.

If that's safety, play him at safety, if that's corner, play him at corner.

It's something we will watch in camp.