Could Tank become the next Dez

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I realize that is a possibility. I’m actually hoping that is the case.

When Terrell Owens came here after he had torched a couple of other franchises did anyone expect him to not do the same here, at some point? Probably not.

I realize that Dez and Tank are two different people and the result may end up being far different. BUT, it is really HARD to make the case that Tank wasn’t a selfish dude to wait on surgery. It’s HIS OWN FAULT if it affected his season. You may give him a pass for that, but I don’t.

I hope he is healthy this year and gets his head right. But in reality when some of these guys get paid, they sort of check out. I think Dez was one of those guys. Tank MAY be one of those guys. The verdict on that remains undetermined. But I don’t like the evidence we have in front of us so far.
Yep.

Mucho unknown.

After I saw how Tanks negotiation ended..

I sort wrote off the season as far as Tank was concerned.

I like you suggested his first year of his new deal was going to be his bonus to himself.

Like you mentioned about Dez.

I was surprised he managed the 5 or so sacks he got in 2019.

And his run defense was not too bad.

So we all wait to see if a 3-4 fits him. I suspect having 4 down linemen works better for him.

We will see.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
So you are willing to suffer $36.9 MILLION in dead cap money? The earliest Dallas could trade him would be in 2021 when he would have $15 Million in dead money compared to a base salary of $22 Million, a cap savings of $7 Million.
I think you have me confused.....Im not Jerry Jones

Trueboysfan

Reaction score
Plus I dont ever recall Dez ever being lazy or not into football...dude was a beast. He was one of the hardest workers on the practice field and game time. I don't think he should have ever been let go...that was a Garrett thing and he didnt deserve it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tank seems to be following the same career trajectory as Dez. Best on the team but not top 5. Complained until he got his money. Received top money. Then year one under his new deal he disappeared. About all he has done since he got his new deal is “talked” a lot.

I am concerned that he got his money and like Dez really isn’t all that into football at this point. Just talks a lot, and does very little.

This contract could be a “bust” boys and girls.

Premature Evaluation.

It was a given that he would be limited this season due to the surgery.

Just because a player is cleared to play by Doctors, does not mean that he is back to form.

He should do maintenance lifting for a couple of months after the season to get to 100% healthy.

Then he should kick into high gear in the weight room to get back to his peak lifting numbers.

I didn't see him loafing during the season or doing stupid stuff which was easy to see with Dez.

I'm not a huge fan of DLaw based on what he says; however, on the field I didn't see a problem with his effort.I''

He is in the power/leverage category as a pass rusher. He's not a pure speed rusher. His style is dependent on his upper body. In fact, it is his upper body technique and strength is what made him an elite pass rusher. Similar concept with Michael Bennett. They were not born with DWare type physical ability but they worked hard at developing technique and worked in the weight room to become really good players.mo

It is difficult to predict with DLaw due to the scheme change; however, I'm fairly certain that they'll have him playing similar technique and aligning in a similar spot even if they run a "3-4" base defense. Nolan has used a pseudo 3-4/4-3 in the past where the alignments are basically 4-3, but one DE is standing up and that player is a hybrid 4-3 DE / 3-4 OLB but the other DE (the DLaw position) just plays like a 4-3 DE.

Verdict

Reaction score
Premature Evaluation.

Just because a player is cleared to play by Doctors, does not mean that he is back to form.

He should do maintenance lifting for a couple of months after the season to get to 100% healthy.

Then he should kick into high gear in the weight room to get back to his peak lifting numbers.

I didn't see him loafing during the season or doing stupid stuff which was easy to see with Dez.

I'm not a huge fan of DLaw based on what he says; however, on the field I didn't see a problem with his effort.I''

He is in the power/leverage category as a pass rusher. He's not a pure speed rusher. His style is dependent on his upper body. In fact, it is his upper body technique and strength is what made him an elite pass rusher. Similar concept with Michael Bennett. They were not born with DWare type physical ability but they worked hard at developing technique and worked in the weight room to become really good players.mo

It is difficult to predict with DLaw due to the scheme change; however, I'm fairly certain that they'll have him playing similar technique and aligning in a similar spot even if they run a "3-4" base defense. Nolan has used a pseudo 3-4/4-3 in the past where the alignments are basically 4-3, but one DE is standing up and that player is a hybrid 4-3 DE / 3-4 OLB but the other DE (the DLaw position) just plays like a 4-3 DE.

I agree with your premise. It just really pisses me off that:

1. Tank under performed his contract.
2. He talked too much about getting paid
3. He was willing to not get the surgery which hurt his team
4. Even though he underperformed he was still running his head and doing the Hotboyz thing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with your premise. It just really pisses me off that:

1. Tank under performed his contract.
2. He talked too much about getting paid
3. He was willing to not get the surgery which hurt his team
4. Even though he underperformed he was still running his head and doing the Hotboyz thing.

1. The team had to know year one would be a down year due to the surgery.
2. Players talking too much is never a problem with teams that have great Head Coaches.
3. The agent kept DLaw away from the team because he was afraid DLaw would give in and just sign the contract. The agent manipulated the injury/surgery issue.
4. Hotboyz is idiotic, I don't care if he performed like Lawrence Taylor, I don't want to hear about Hotboyz anymore.

Dez is gone.

Witten is likely gone.

Be happy.

Verdict

Reaction score
1. The team had to know year one would be a down year due to the surgery.
2. Players talking too much is never a problem with teams that have great Head Coaches.
3. The agent kept DLaw away from the team because he was afraid DLaw would give in and just sign the contract. The agent manipulated the injury/surgery issue.
4. Hotboyz is idiotic, I don't care if he performed like Lawrence Taylor, I don't want to hear about Hotboyz anymore.

Dez is gone.

Witten is likely gone.

Be happy.

Laughing. Ok bro. You win. Lol

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Not gonna be a popular take but DEs are paid to get sacks not just pressure.

He was double teamed like most top tier pass rushers. He was only double teamed slight more than Quinn though.

He’s been a decent player and I hope he can return to form. When you pay a DE that kinda money he needs to be getting 10-15 sacks minimum.

Same with Jaylon. He got paid and he has tackle numbers but not all tackles are created equal. Tackles behind or near the LOS are great not ones that are 6-7 yards downfield.

With all that being said. These guys are under contract so I hope the new coaches help them return to form. Go cowboys

This is how a linebacker should play

Verdict

Reaction score
Yes after two seasons of not getting extended...once on the last year of his deal and then again on the franchise tag.

He paid his dues.

So he gets to slide now? Ok. Let’s just let him play forever like Witten while we are at it since he has “earned the right to suck”.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dez was arguably the best WR in the league when he got paid...

Refusing to settle for anything less than you deserve is complaining now? Do you work on a massive discount for your employer?
By disappeared, do you mean he sustained a Jones fracture that ultimately derailed his career...? lol

Dez was touted as being one of the hardest workers on the team and someone who loved football more than anything... and if that’s not enough, his in-game passion, style of play & playing through injuries should speak to how much he was “into football”. Y’all just be saying anything on here.

Tank should talk about how he’s the only guy on the defensive line consistently commanding double teams.

That’s why Dez was cut. He sucked.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not gonna be a popular take but DEs are paid to get sacks not just pressure.

He was double teamed like most top tier pass rushers. He was only double teamed slight more than Quinn though.

He’s been a decent player and I hope he can return to form. When you pay a DE that kinda money he needs to be getting 10-15 sacks minimum.

Same with Jaylon. He got paid and he has tackle numbers but not all tackles are created equal. Tackles behind or near the LOS are great not ones that are 6-7 yards downfield.

With all that being said. These guys are under contract so I hope the new coaches help them return to form. Go cowboys
Great post bro!

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Premature Evaluation.

I didn't see him loafing during the season or doing stupid stuff which was easy to see with rose colored hate glasses

I made some mods to your post;), but overall I agree with this take X.

kskboys

Reaction score
Plus I dont ever recall Dez ever being lazy or not into football...dude was a beast. He was one of the hardest workers on the practice field and game time. I don't think he should have ever been let go...that was a Garrett thing and he didnt deserve it.
Dez was a very lazy route runner, and was even more lazy when he refused to do his rehab after the injury. This was well known stuff at the time, have no idea how you missed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dallas has an out on DLaw in 2-3 seasons.

What's wrong with Zekes money?

Zeke didnt really look like his old self for half the season or more. Plus they werent even using him as expected. That's probably because the offense didnt show up in the 1st half and they panicked and started throwing.