Could the trade talk for Quinn include

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
... Taco Charlton?

From a logistics standpoint for Dallas, especially if the Cowboys are trying to work out a multiyear deal with Quinn, it would make sense that he would be a replacement for Charlton. And with the additional signing of Hyder, the depth at the position without Charlton would be plentiful (Quinn, Lawrence, Hyder, Armstrong, Crawford).

It also makes sense financially for Miami, which is wanting to save money. They are set to pay Quinn a total of $12 million this year. The Dolphins could pay Charlton's $2.7 million and some of Quinn's contract and still come out with caps savings.

The question is whether the Dolphins would want Charlton. He would need to play outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme and it's questionable if he could do that. He also has not shown the pass rush in his first two years that would make teams want to trade for him. However, the Dolphins also don't have much going in the pass rush department. Quinn led them last year with his 6.5 sacks. Charlton still has potential and the Dolphins have a need.

Maybe this only makes sense to me for both teams. We give up a player who still has potential that could be realized for a player who has proven ability. Miami gives up a player with proven ability for a first-rounder with potential and cap savings. If the Dolphins are only going to get a 2020 third- or fourth-rounder instead, why not roll the dice on a player who was just recently taken in the first?

John813

Reaction score
Can Taco play the 3-4? LB? Nope.
DE? Dunno.
I would hope the trade is being held up to add Davon Godchaux(depth DT) or Vincent Taylor(higher potential DT) to us.
But I'm just spitballing here.

Think Dallas will give him one more year cause he's cheap and he's entering year 3 and may bloom or wilt.

Sydla

Reaction score
Maybe but I think I'd rather keep Taco and go from there. There's no financial incentive in trading Taco because he's not all that expensive. And despite is issues, he still has talent so I'd rather still take a chance on him than sending him to Miami to protect our 2020 3rd round pick.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
... Taco Charlton?

From a logistics standpoint for Dallas, especially if the Cowboys are trying to work out a multiyear deal with Quinn, it would make sense that he would be a replacement for Charlton. And with the additional signing of Hyder, the depth at the position without Charlton would be plentiful (Quinn, Lawrence, Hyder, Armstrong, Crawford).

It also makes sense financially for Miami, which is wanting to save money. They are set to pay Quinn a total of $12 million this year. The Dolphins could pay Charlton's $2.7 million and some of Quinn's contract and still come out with caps savings.

The question is whether the Dolphins would want Charlton. He would need to play outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme and it's questionable if he could do that. He also has not shown the pass rush in his first two years that would make teams want to trade for him. However, the Dolphins also don't have much going in the pass rush department. Quinn led them last year with his 6.5 sacks. Charlton still has potential and the Dolphins have a need.

Maybe this only makes sense to me for both teams. We give up a player who still has potential that could be realized for a player who has proven ability. Miami gives up a player with proven ability for a first-rounder with potential and cap savings. If the Dolphins are only going to get a 2020 third- or fourth-rounder instead, why not roll the dice on a player who was just recently taken in the first?

No, the trade for Quinn is for a 4th round in 2020 from speculation in media. Good deal for both teams IMO

gimmesix

Reaction score
I would love if it included Taco. He’s probably only worth a 4th or a 5th at this point

Well, that is the equivalent of the pick that's been mentioned. A 2020 third is essentially a 2019 fourth. The major difference is that instead of the pick the Dolphins get a player thought worthy of a first-round pick (and not just by Dallas) only two years ago.

gimmesix

Reaction score
taco isn't a 3-4 olb..no way no how

however, taco can definitely play 3-4 de

He's got the height for it, but he'd have to add some beef. However, you are right that his skill set may fit better there.

gimmesix

Reaction score
No, the trade for Quinn is for a 4th round in 2020 from speculation in media. Good deal for both teams IMO

As you point out, this is only speculation. We don't really know what the agreement is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe but I think I'd rather keep Taco and go from there. There's no financial incentive in trading Taco because he's not all that expensive. And despite is issues, he still has talent so I'd rather still take a chance on him than sending him to Miami to protect our 2020 3rd round pick.

I agree. I think what little value Taco currently has better serves the Cowboys than anything they might possibly get in trade value.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
... Taco Charlton?

MIA got him for a 4th round pick and they are going to waive him unless they get anything back

Let's not act like he KMack..... trading two years of Taco is a huge mistake.... how bout we give him some passing down reps first

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
He's got the height for it, but he'd have to add some beef. However, you are right that his skill set may fit better there.
Could be a Canty 3 (4-3)/5 tech (3-4) type. Seems stiff outside.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
As you point out, this is only speculation. We don't really know what the agreement is.
We dont but there was a report out that Dolphins were good with compensation for him being a pick in 2020. So there more then just sepculation there. But the whole situation isnt known as of now. But Where theres smoke theres fire.