Could the trade talk for Quinn include

timb2

Reaction score
Robert Quinn is being shipped around like Michael Bennett is...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
MIA got him for a 4th round pick and they are going to waive him unless they get anything back

Let's not act like he KMack..... trading two years of Taco is a huge mistake.... how bout we give him some passing down reps first

If we trade for Quinn, Charlton is going to be relegated to rotating in and playing very few passing downs. He was drafted to be that pass rusher opposite Lawrence, and because he isn't yet, we would be bringing in a guy to be that pass rusher.

Sometimes using a player as a commodity ends up being better for your team than waiting for him to become a player.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
... Taco Charlton?

From a logistics standpoint for Dallas, especially if the Cowboys are trying to work out a multiyear deal with Quinn, it would make sense that he would be a replacement for Charlton. And with the additional signing of Hyder, the depth at the position without Charlton would be plentiful (Quinn, Lawrence, Hyder, Armstrong, Crawford).

It also makes sense financially for Miami, which is wanting to save money. They are set to pay Quinn a total of $12 million this year. The Dolphins could pay Charlton's $2.7 million and some of Quinn's contract and still come out with caps savings.

The question is whether the Dolphins would want Charlton. He would need to play outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme and it's questionable if he could do that. He also has not shown the pass rush in his first two years that would make teams want to trade for him. However, the Dolphins also don't have much going in the pass rush department. Quinn led them last year with his 6.5 sacks. Charlton still has potential and the Dolphins have a need.

Maybe this only makes sense to me for both teams. We give up a player who still has potential that could be realized for a player who has proven ability. Miami gives up a player with proven ability for a first-rounder with potential and cap savings. If the Dolphins are only going to get a 2020 third- or fourth-rounder instead, why not roll the dice on a player who was just recently taken in the first?

They may be more interested in Armstrong. I would do either deal. Throw in a 5'th rounder in 2020 and a home baked apple pie and let's do it. As a team we don't value 5'th rounders at all. Often trade out. I understand it too

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If we trade for Quinn, Charlton is going to be relegated to rotating in and playing very few passing downs. He was drafted to be that pass rusher opposite Lawrence, and because he isn't yet, we would be bringing in a guy to be that pass rusher.

Sometimes using a player as a commodity ends up being better for your team than waiting for him to become a player.
Just like Dallas to trade a 1st round pick for a aging vet that is getting waived

DEs take a little time to develop...... Save the Taco

Rayman70

Reaction score
Maybe. I would actually ask for a 3rd for Taco. We simply can't take less than that for a him. He is very young and has upside. I would swap Taco and our 4th,for cash ,Quinn, and a 3rd round pick in this years draft.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Maybe. I would actually ask for a 3rd for Taco. We simply can't take less than that for a him. He is very young and has upside. I would swap Taco and our 4th,for cash ,Quinn, and a 3rd round pick in this years draft.
I am not even sold a Quinn with a bad back is better than a young Taco

DLaw took time to develop and had 0 sacks his rookie year

gimmesix

Reaction score
They may be more interested in Armstrong. I would do either deal. Throw in a 5'th rounder in 2020 and a home baked apple pie and let's do it. As a team we don't value 5'th rounders at all. Often trade out. I understand it too

The main thing with me as I see us being a little heavy at end if we acquire Quinn. So even if we don't include Charlton as part of the trade, we could dangle him to see what we might could get. Maybe it just allows us to trade up some in the second round if needed, or maybe we could get an extra fourth to use. (I can't see his production warranting much more than that.)

We could keep him an dangle Armstrong instead, but I'm not quite ready to get back a fourth-round value on a fourth-round investment we just made last year. I'd rather see if he turns into more than that.

Charlton's value is clearly less than his draft status right now. The gamble you take in not trading him now is that he'll continue on the path he's on and have no value.

Of course, we could just do that and see how it turns out. With Crawford and Hyder both having the ability to play inside, that could technically leave us with four ends to rotate (Quinn, Lawrence, Charlton, Armstrong). However, looking at the DL as a whole we already have eight keepers (Lawrence, Charlton, Armstrong, Hyder, Crawford, Woods, Covington, Collins). If we add Quinn, we'd have nine. Any other additions in FA or the draft, put us at or over the limit and someone has to go. This isn't including Daniel Ross, because I don't think he's a keeper. So IMO, we're likely going to have to eliminate at least one from that group of keepers.

Rayman70

Reaction score

good point.You never know.Taco could blow up in a good way this year.

gimmesix

Reaction score

He was hurt for most of that year, and then when he finally got healthy, he had sacks in back-to-back games in the playoffs. Then, the next year, we switched him to right end and when he adjusted to it, he finished with a flourish, with eight sacks in eight games.

The signs of what Lawrence could be were there. We haven't seen similar reasons for hope with Charlton. Maybe very, very miniscule glimmers.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I agree with the idea TyCraw would be a better fit scheme-wise, and the deal could be straight up money-wise because the contracts aren't far apart between Quinn n TyCraw.

MIA gets a good 3-4 DE and DAL a 4-3 DE. But, maybe MIA wants an 3-4 OLB tho, and to shed some salary...in that case nah.

Taco has lil trade value, and just needs to break thru on the field.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The problem with Charlton, IMO, is not his skills. I mean, he is what he is and I think the team new what they were getting there. The problem is his attitude. Charlton has done some things that the team does not like. That's why they sat him and that's why they are going out and trying to get Quinn, as opposed to giving Taco the chance to prove it's his spot.

When you get right down to this, this is all on Charlton IMO. Many on this board, at the time, said that Taco was making a mistake and needed to get his stuff together. This entire situation, to me, is on Taco. He gets in line with the club and he is the guy who is probably penciled in as the Start this year.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I said I would take a second round pick for taco after his rookie year and was blasted. A second for taco now would be a freaking steal. And I get defensive end is like corner, it takes time. But that guy just never had it.

I said I would trade down for multiple lower picks instead of taking Charlton, before we ever drafted him. I wanted a lot of other players over Taco so I understand what you are saying here. I'm probably not the best person to be defending Taco. LOL.......

gimmesix

Reaction score
I said I would trade down for multiple lower picks instead of taking Charlton, before we ever drafted him. I wanted a lot of other players over Taco so I understand what you are saying here. I'm probably not the best person to be defending Taco. LOL.......

I was in favor of drafting Watt, but I wasn't going to pan the Charlton pick because plenty of players who are disparaged turn out far better than what is expected and other picks that are lauded sometimes turn out to be bombs. I prefer to just wait and see.

Since this is just Taco's third year, there is also the possibility he will still bloom, but I would not blame the front office for trying to get something for him now before it becomes no longer about potential and completely about production. Right now, the potential is still enticing enough to give him some worth. If he has another season like his first two, we won't even be able to trade him away.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I was in favor of drafting Watt, but I wasn't going to pan the Charlton pick because plenty of players who are disparaged turn out far better than what is expected and other picks that are lauded sometimes turn out to be bombs. I prefer to just wait and see.

Since this is just Taco's third year, there is also the possibility he will still bloom, but I would not blame the front office for trying to get something for him now before it becomes no longer about potential and completely about production. Right now, the potential is still enticing enough to give him some worth. If he has another season like his first two, we won't even be able to trade him away.

I always thought that Taco was better suited to the Strong Side DE position but regardless, I want to just restate the fact that I don't think it's the talent. I understand that young players have to have time to develop but with Taco, I don't think it's talent, per say. I think it's attitude. He has done something that makes the team think he is not the guy. I don't know what all happened when Taco got benched but whatever it was, I think it was significant enough to change his immediate future. Important to remember, he had history or Red Flags at Michigan, as well, if I recall correctly.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I always thought that Taco was better suited to the Strong Side DE position but regardless, I want to just restate the fact that I don't think it's the talent. I understand that young players have to have time to develop but with Taco, I don't think it's talent, per say. I think it's attitude. He has done something that makes the team think he is not the guy. I don't know what all happened when Taco got benched but whatever it was, I think it was significant enough to change his immediate future. Important to remember, he had history or Red Flags at Michigan, as well, if I recall correctly.

This is exactly the case. Buck and Aikman talked about it last yr. Taco got a big attitude when he thought he was ready to return from injury and didnt get his snaps back. Another time on Talking Cowboys they said this more then the injury is the reason he was left inactive late in the yr. When he returned in the playoffs i remember JG in a statement saying something like the team liked the improved effort in getting prepared to return from being inactive. And got snaps in the playoffs, where before he was strictly played on the right side started to get reps on the strong side.