Could this be Sean Lees last season playing football?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Here's what will happen

They'll extend him for 3 more years for cheap, then they'll prorate his hit next year through the life of that extension. We'll still be able to get out from under it basically anytime we want.

He'll stay 2 more years as depth and basically a player coach.
Just like Witten.....smart move

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Those, who, without thinking or knowing what it takes to be an NFL coach, or the progression a coach needs to get to the NFL, are just plain stupid.
On the other hand, on the Cowboys team, where a nobody like Kellen Moore can go from playing to coaching, anything is possible.

Still, in the NFL, just because you are popular or a good player and have the correct skin color, that does not confer upon you the right to leap-frog 1,000 other qualified coaches to coach in the NFL.

Lee could step in as an assistant LB coach here and not miss a beat. He's been helping go over game planning and keys with the linebackers as it is.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If so, I hope he's hired immediately as a defensive coach. He'll be great at it.

exciter

Reaction score
If the Cowboys were smart they would try to keep him on the team somehow.

Reduce his role, make him a coach, whatever you gotta do but keep him in that building.

He can still play and he may actually extend his career playing as a backup.
Right, cause every team has a plethora of backups making 9m a year! They draft his replacement...its time to replace him. It's sad but that's football!

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
There's that and also I think Lee is the type of guy who takes tremendous pride in his play and his contributions.

He's only played 5 games this year and in some of those he hasn't looked like himself. Does Sean wants to continue his career as an oft-injured back-up, semi-contributor? I doubt it.

I'd like to see the team offer him a full-time coaching gig w/a financial package that honors his service to the team.
Cut him back to 3m base with 200k per game on active roster like they did with Witten

Yes, could also work, that's why you're the capologist :)

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Gotta remember who's coming up to pay in 2019. Tank, Cooper and Byron Jones. Could also see working on an extension for Dak. Something not too crazy. We've done a much better job of late preparing for eventualities and not going crazy, I like that. Terrence Williams is a no-brainer. Release in 2019 and save $3.5 mill. I say David Irving and Beasley walk.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Lee could step in as an assistant LB coach here and not miss a beat. He's been helping go over game planning and keys with the linebackers as it is.
Oh, yes, govnor.
Wink.
The fast track not afforded to other LBs.
Gotcha, toff, Lee is in like Clint.
Heh....

Flamma

Reaction score
I would keep him another year on a reduced role. He should be on one now. He's still a good player and I know it isn't his fault, but his hamstring is bubble gum. That's just gonna keep coming back along with other injuries as he ages. I'd just think he'd be a solid backup if Smith or Vander gets injured. He's not playing like he used to, but he still knows what's going on out there. A lot of his success was due to knowing where the play was going.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
If the Cowboys were smart they would try to keep him on the team somehow.

Reduce his role, make him a coach, whatever you gotta do but keep him in that building.

He can still play and he may actually extend his career playing as a backup.
Cut him. His droopy face probably lowers team moral too.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
he’s maximized every ounce of natural ability his body gave him. He looks like his natural body weight should be like 190. I think his hamstrings are never gonna cooperate and he’s gonna be our head defensive coordinator after playing a few more seasons.

But there’s potential here imo for him to step aside and avoid all this consternation.
I think for his health, in later life.....he should retire and stand half a chance of taking his kids to the park. His body lags his mind which is sad. Unique situation.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think his hamstrings are never gonna cooperate and he’s gonna be our head defensive coordinator after playing a few more seasons.
Lee has been dealing with hamstring issues since at least preseason 2017. The more it tightens, the less likely he fully heals. If he comes back and has to go out *again* this year, maybe he agrees with you and hangs it up.

Otherwise, he'll be back in the NFL next year.

Even if he tightens up again, it's hard to leave 7mil on the table. Like most players, he'll have to be injured enough to where the salary offered becomes irrelevant compared to what he has already earned.

I hope we convert much of the salary to game day checks. I'd like him back to keep the development of LVE and Jaylon going. That's the coaching career I see for him. He's already made so much - why bother with the huge drop pay? Just move on and play with the kids. Hang out with Tony. Do the announcer thing. I bet he'd be better than Witten, but still kind of a stiff.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cut him back to 3m base with 200k per game on active roster like they did with Witten

I didn't know they did that with Witten. Good precedent. No shame in following the path of Gold Jacket Wit.

In Wittens case, though, it was certain that he would play if he stuck around at all. Lee, not so much. That's the problem.

That's what I would want for Lee. Even if he misses lots of games next year, spending money on his salary is a way to get another year of him coaching LVE and Jaylon. I'll take that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he’s maximized every ounce of natural ability his body gave him. He looks like his natural body weight should be like 190. I think his hamstrings are never gonna cooperate and he’s gonna be our head defensive coordinator after playing a few more seasons.

But there’s potential here imo for him to step aside and avoid all this consternation.

I expect him to retire.

The Cowboys are unlikely to pay his 7M salary.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Sean Lee needs to evaluate his body ... think about how many games he can play...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Oh, yes, govnor.
Wink.
The fast track not afforded to other LBs.
Gotcha, toff, Lee is in like Clint.
Heh....

Someone suggested he could be an assistant LB coach not a straight up position coach. He was already doing some of this while injured so being an assistant wouldn't be much different. Not suggesting he could run the entire LB group without help. Just like when Colombo retired he started helping with the oline, other former players begin coaching in the same way.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Right, cause every team has a plethora of backups making 9m a year! They draft his replacement...its time to replace him. It's sad but that's football!

He has to come off that contract and i'm sure he will.

He will be a burden for any team he plays for at 9 mill a year.

If we can get him at a lower number then do it.

Sean Lee being in that building is a huge positive. He can still play and he can extend his career if he will just take a backup role. If he tries to remain a starter he'll be out of the league in a year or 2.

John813

Reaction score
If he wants to start, there are teams out there that need a LB of his quality, even with the risk of his injury history.

I mean, been watching Miami since Zach Thomas was there, he would be their best LB by far, even if he only plays 8 games in 19.

Pants

Reaction score
I dunno...when Witten left, he was declining on the field, IMO...Lee, when playing, is still playing at a high level....I am torn on this one but certainly don't like a part-time player at his salary....

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Someone suggested he could be an assistant LB coach not a straight up position coach. He was already doing some of this while injured so being an assistant wouldn't be much different. Not suggesting he could run the entire LB group without help. Just like when Colombo retired he started helping with the oline, other former players begin coaching in the same way.
Look, ruffian, this board has long called for Lee, Witten, Romo, etc. to be "coaches" in whatever capacity.
The diff is, with 78%-80% of NFL players being black, rarely do I see a call for a black player to immediately start coaching in the NFL.
What is up with this?
I think I know.