Couple of interesting prospect notes from Pauline's board

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Cowboyny, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Cowboyny

Cowboyny Well-Known Member

2,975 Messages
    3,529 Likes Received
    5. Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State
    There is a lot to love about Micah Parsons, as he’s a tall, athletic linebacker who makes plays all over the field and impacts games. Parsons is fast in a straight line as well as laterally, makes plays both behind the line of scrimmage and in pursuit, and covers a great amount of area on the field in coverage.

While he has great upside, I am concerned about his instincts. Parsons is a bit slow to read and diagnose on occasion, but he makes up for it at the college level with superior athleticism. That won’t be as easy in the NFL.

11. Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama

Patrick Surtain II is a big, physical corner who has a great combination of athleticism and muscle. He physically beats down opponents to defend the pass, but I’m concerned with the way he constantly faceguards opponents and rarely gets his head back around to locate the ball.

4. Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

Penei Sewell is a fluid, strong left tackle who easily slides out in pass protections and shows a lot of ability blocking in motion. He’s fundamentally sound, strong, and has upside.

If there is one red flag in Sewell’s game, it’s that he doesn’t block with a nasty attitude. Unlike many other top-rated offensive linemen, I don’t see Sewell working to bury opponents into the ground. Otherwise, he’s a sensational left tackle prospect for the next level.

dogberry and WillieBeamen like this.
  2. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

44,447 Messages
    66,087 Likes Received
    Parsons sounds like Jaylon pre-injury.

charron, baltcowboy, 817Gill and 6 others like this.
  3. stilltheguru

stilltheguru Well-Known Member

7,214 Messages
    4,277 Likes Received
    Surtain got burnt bad this week but most people wont see it because we dropped it. I dont want him at all in round 1.

4. KingintheNorth

KingintheNorth Chris in Arizona

15,417 Messages
    20,414 Likes Received
    Parsons comments flies in the face of the Luke Kuechly comparisons, one of the most instinctive players in recent memory.

I like Surtain, I think he's got great size, fundamentally sound, technically disciplined, but I worry that he's developmentally maxed out, meaning is as good as he's going to get. I do see some Byron Jones like results from him in regards to what Pauline is talking about. Always in phase, great coverage, but you'd like to see more plays on the ball.

As far as Sewell, while he is a really nice kid in person, the games I've watched him, he's played like a jerk. He was owning guys and having a good time doing it.

5. Cowboyny

2,975 Messages
    3,529 Likes Received
    Those lack of instincts, slow to react comments should scare the hell out of all of us, that he could be another version of Jaylon Smith, whom he would be replacing. Fully understand just an opinion, but Pauline is a legitimate source.

6. Cowboyny

2,975 Messages
    3,529 Likes Received

BigTimeBlues and stilltheguru like this.
  7. cnuball21

cnuball21 Well-Known Member

3,399 Messages
    2,362 Likes Received
    First scouting report I’ve seen that questions Parsons instincts...most others have that as a plus.

817Gill, WillieBeamen and DakPresgoat like this.
  8. Xavier187

Xavier187 Well-Known Member

598 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    Whats gonna matter on Parsons is Speed change of direction and strength

If he pluses in those areas top 10 for sure

9. Cowboyny

2,975 Messages
    3,529 Likes Received
    I agree, doesn't mean he lacks instincts, just one person's point of view, but it make you pause a little bit, especially if they use a top 5 pick to select him.

10. Cowboyny

2,975 Messages
    3,529 Likes Received
    Sewell looks like the safest pick non-QB pick in the entire draft. Probably going to need to get into the top 3 to draft him.

Uncle_Hank likes this.
  11. Cowboyny

2,975 Messages
    3,529 Likes Received
    Not saying he lacks instincts, but if he did, his athletic testing won't matter too much.

817Gill likes this.
  12. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

2,272 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    I haven’t watched him much but watched the Memphis highlights posted in the other thread. He often had a false step but made up for it with athleticism ( and the fact he was playing Memphis).

13. cnuball21

cnuball21 Well-Known Member

3,399 Messages
    2,362 Likes Received
    Meh...I’d trust the majority. IMO he’s one of the 4 best prospects in the entire draft. I don’t care if he plays LBr, our defense is a disaster and we need talented playmakers and he is just that. If Sewell is gone, he’s my top choice.

14. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

6,787 Messages
    5,006 Likes Received
    Right lol it’s crazy

DakPresgoat likes this.
  15. stilltheguru

stilltheguru Well-Known Member

7,214 Messages
    4,277 Likes Received
    Devin White was a top 5 pick and his pff grade is worse than jaylons. Im leaning towards treating lb like rb in the draft

16. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

6,787 Messages
    5,006 Likes Received
    That’s my thought too. His combine will solidify his stock

17. Xavier187

598 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    Sewell willbe a Bengal so count him out

817Gill, Ring6, Sydla and 1 other person like this.
  18. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

12,007 Messages
    20,957 Likes Received
    Just remember some things college players can camouflage will not work or be enough in the NFL.

19. Xavier187

598 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    Surtain II or Parsons in the 1st are the only ones I'm looking at maybe Horn depending

Bowdown27 likes this.
  20. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

17,927 Messages
    17,016 Likes Received
    Been saying it for three weeks now. Parsons is phenomenally talented, but he is not what I want in a backer for this team. He's not just similar to Jaylon, he's very similar to LVE. They're all off ball backers who struggle to get off blocks and are shy to initiate contact when filling gaps.

817Gill, SeanLee50 and waving monkey like this.