Couple of interesting prospect notes from Pauline's board

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Parsons comments flies in the face of the Luke Kuechly comparisons, one of the most instinctive players in recent memory.

I like Surtain, I think he's got great size, fundamentally sound, technically disciplined, but I worry that he's developmentally maxed out, meaning is as good as he's going to get. I do see some Byron Jones like results from him in regards to what Pauline is talking about. Always in phase, great coverage, but you'd like to see more plays on the ball.

As far as Sewell, while he is a really nice kid in person, the games I've watched him, he's played like a jerk. He was owning guys and having a good time doing it.
How can a 21 year old max out?:lmao: Sewell is the guy if we get to pick at 3. No doubt.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I saw the play. The safety blew the coverage. The problem with Surtain is Alabama is just too good defensively to rate him. To be honest I feel the same about the quarterbacks (Lawrence and Fields). As a freshman Surtain held his own against Murray and CeeDee he is legit.

I question Surtain's ball skills and deep speed, but he is a type of player who would offer an immediate impact due to his technique at the position.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
How can a 21 year old max out?:lmao: Sewell is the guy if we get to pick at 3. No doubt.
Do some research, even causal research, on human and athletic development. It's completely possible for one to max out at or even before 21.

But not what I'm saying. Surtain has been exposed to NFL-level coaching and techniques from an early age. He is very much a technician at his position. However, he looks about the same now as he does when he arrived at Tuscaloosa 3 years ago. That can typically be a sign that he has physically apexed and mentally was already ahead of his peers. Defensive backs, especially young ones, have a tendency to panic (Anthony Brown still does) and grab cloth the second they are beat. Surtain never panics and that is most likely the result of years of high-level preparation, as well as high confidence. We might be making the same argument for Derek Stingley, Jr. (who was dominant last year as a true freshman) from LSU in next year's draft. Very good player and would be happy to have Surtain. Only concern is not sure he will get much better.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Do some research, even causal research, on human and athletic development. It's completely possible for one to max out at or even before 21.

But not what I'm saying. Surtain has been exposed to NFL-level coaching and techniques from an early age. He is very much a technician at his position. However, he looks about the same now as he does when he arrived at Tuscaloosa 3 years ago. That can typically be a sign that he has physically apexed and mentally was already ahead of his peers. Defensive backs, especially young ones, have a tendency to panic (Anthony Brown still does) and grab cloth the second they are beat. Surtain never panics and that is most likely the result of years of high-level preparation, as well as high confidence. We might be making the same argument for Derek Stingley, Jr. (who was dominant last year as a true freshman) from LSU in next year's draft. Very good player and would be happy to have Surtain. Only concern is not sure he will get much better.
Not gonna fight you. We agree Surtain is good. I think since his father was a cornerback he has an advantage over most. I think he fits in the good/solid prospect list. He will have a low bust rate. I have my eye on Farley because if he is truly over 6’1 and runs a 4.4 forty this guy will be an elite prospect. Plus Va Tech cornerbacks seem to be pretty good.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I wish we could have had more games to see how Diggs panned out, because he and Surtain have really similar games.

I was fine taking a shot on Diggs at like #50, but speed kills at CB and I'm not drafting a CB with iffy speed in the top ten. We've already seen a couple of times where it got Diggs beat. Surtain is going to have to run a Combine 4.4x before I entertain him.

With Farley, we've seen him run with Chase Claypool, and while he gave up some catches with poor awareness and technique, he didn't look athletically overmatched. Given that Claypool is an athletic overmatch for probably 9 out of 10 NFL CBs, I think Farley's got a bright future in the pros.

He's way less polished than you'd want out of a top 10 pick, but the NFL's becoming more and more of a man-cover league. To hang one-on-one on an island with the best athletes in the world, you need the best athletes in the world. And you need 3 of them starting in a base-nickel defense so you can hardly hold out for perfection.

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I wish we could have had more games to see how Diggs panned out, because he and Surtain have really similar games.

I was fine taking a shot on Diggs at like #50, but speed kills at CB and I'm not drafting a CB with iffy speed in the top ten. We've already seen a couple of times where it got Diggs beat. Surtain is going to have to run a Combine 4.4x before I entertain him.

With Farley, we've seen him run with Chase Claypool, and while he gave up some catches with poor awareness and technique he didn't look athletically overmatched. Given that Claypool is an athletic overmatch for probably 9 out of 10 NFL CBs, I think Farley's got a bright future in the pros.

He's way less polished than you'd want out of a top 10 pick, but the NFL's becoming more and more of a man-cover league. To hang one-on-one on an island with the best athletes in the world, you need the best athletes in the world. And you need 3 of them starting in a base-nickel defense so you can hardly hold out for perfection.
I don't really buy that Diggs has gotten beat because of lack of foot speed, most of the times he's been beat deep it's because he's been caught flat footed or guessing wrong, though I agree with your point in general.

Farley is the same prospect CJ Henderson was. If I'm going to just take a guy because he's a raw athlete, I'd rather take my chances with the Reggie Robinson's of the world. I don't want to draft a CB in the top-10...ever really lol..but I definitely don't want to draft one there who has to be taught how to actually play corner.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't really buy that Diggs has gotten beat because of lack of foot speed, most of the times he's been beat deep it's because he's been caught flat footed or guessing wrong, though I agree with your point in general.

Farley is the same prospect CJ Henderson was. If I'm going to just take a guy because he's a raw athlete, I'd rather take my chances with the Reggie Robinson's of the world. I don't want to draft a CB in the top-10...ever really lol..but I definitely don't want to draft one there who has to be taught how to actually play corner.

CJ Henderson who wants to tackle is pretty much my exact comp for him.

Hendo went top 10 and looked like he belonged prior to getting hurt, so I am fine taking a shot on Farley.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
CJ Henderson who wants to tackle is pretty much my exact comp for him.

Hendo went top 10 and looked like he belonged prior to getting hurt, so I am fine taking a shot on Farley.
Well there's a big difference between "looked like he belonged" and top-10 value.

He was pretty bad early.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Farley is certainly a projection on the next level along with a injury history. He is an elite athlete still learning a new position. I'm confident that Surtain could be an immediate impact starter due to his excellent technique, but some question his long speed. He is a player that could rise or fall based on his 40 times.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
because he and Surtain have really similar games.
I don't agree.

Diggs is all speed and athleticism. Surtain is a master technician.
I think Farley's got a bright future in the pros.

Excellent take here Sir.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

Do you think Diggs is the same caliber prospect as Farley?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Lower floor based on what? They are both converted wrs. Farley day 1 will be better imo
Based on the fact that he has poor fundamentals. He really doesn't know how to play corner, he's just a tremendous athlete.

Farley should be better day 1, if he's going to go 40 picks ahead of Diggs. I don't even know why you're making that comparison tbh.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Based on the fact that he has poor fundamentals. He really doesn't know how to play corner, he's just a tremendous athlete.

Farley should be better day 1, if he's going to go 40 picks ahead of Diggs. I don't even know why you're making that comparison tbh.

Ok