1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

Covid 19 sole cause of only 6% of deaths?

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by Jake, Aug 30, 2020.

1. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

3,106 Messages
    1,383 Likes Received
    I would imagine the numbers are pretty accurate overall. I am sure there are some added that were erroneous. I am sure there are plenty that were missed. Considering the excess deaths for this year vs last a skew upward of COVID count of significance would seem unlikely.

DallasEast and DakPresgoat like this.
  2. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

14,881 Messages
    31,996 Likes Received
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

This is a good resource KSK. It talks about deaths as a total and discussed excess deaths. Meaning the increase in the number of deaths over a specified time range, which is more than the normal or average.

It kind of helps give a good picture of how many more people have died since the pandemic. Not just from Covid directly but also some indirect causes as well (for instance, overdose deaths are also up since the pandemic began) just as one example.

but that link is a good resource.

3. DanteEXT

3,106 Messages
    1,383 Likes Received
    Good source for information. I also like looking at the weekly counts for select causes. While the CDC says it can take up to 8 weeks for the data to be complete due to the way different states report it does give you an idea. I was looking at this the other day. Weeks 1-35 for this year ending on 8/29 shows +201175 deaths over 2019.

The total deaths listed were 175687 for COVID-19 (U071, Multiple Cause of Death) and 162,229 for COVID-19 (U071, Underlying Cause of Death). Guessing the first one is COVID with or without comorbidities and the second is COVID with comorbidities but I don't know for sure.

DallasEast and DakPresgoat like this.
  4. Ghost12

Ghost12 Well-Known Member

1,327 Messages
    1,381 Likes Received
    Attributing all "excess deaths" to Covid is intellectually bankrupt. Since 2010, there have been an average of 40,000 excess deaths per year in the U.S. One year, that number got as high as 80,000. In other words, even without Covid, we would expect about 40,000 more people to die this year than last year.

So, to use your own numbers, at the end of August there were 201,175 more deaths compared to the same point in 2019. 175,687 of those were Covid, leaving 25,488 left over. That 25,488 number is 100% within the range of the amount of excess deaths we would expect without Covid. As such, saying all excess deaths must be Covid related is a tremendous fallacy.

5. DanteEXT

3,106 Messages
    1,383 Likes Received
    Who attributed all excess deaths to COVID?

6. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

11,828 Messages
    12,594 Likes Received
    So, can we please go back to normal then? I am eager to go back to conventions.

7. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

21,430 Messages
    23,770 Likes Received
    Everyone is too afraid of public reaction to go back to normal. Maybe in DEC.

Furboy likes this.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

54,790 Messages
    22,809 Likes Received
  9. Ghost12

Ghost12 Well-Known Member

1,327 Messages
    1,381 Likes Received
    A lot of people are trying to attribute all excess deaths to Covid, either directly or via subtle implication. This is hardly the first forum to discuss "excess deaths".

10. DanteEXT

3,106 Messages
    1,383 Likes Received
    I'm not.

DakPresgoat and DallasEast like this.
  11. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

11,828 Messages
    12,594 Likes Received
    This year or next year? Cuz the con I wanted to go to in December is cancelled for this year.