Cowboy execs: white flag of surrender on TO?

Oldschool7

Benched
Reaction score
Ed Werder applauded by Dallas execs? ESPN coverage AFFIRMED by Dallas official website? Yes Ladies and Gentlemen, that's the latest in Cirque de Valley Ranch.

According to reports a near brawl occurred today between Witten and Owens, perhaps finally bringing Cowboys' front office top brass to it's knees and its senses. You have to wonder if Stephen and Junior and other true Cowboy lovers locked the door to impose an intervention with Jerry.

If this is a true change of heart its only 12 hours old. Formal Cowboy media (DC.Com Mickey Spagnola) backs ESPN about the divisive fire in the locker room and now the Star Telegram reports that the Cowboy own front office APPLAUDS Ed Werder's expose on cancerous T.O. Maybe a fresh wind blows in Valley Ranch.

And in that fresh wind blows a white flag of surrender about the disastrous tenure of the Love-Me-Some-Me receiver.

http://www.star-telegram.com/cowboys/

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Saturday, Dec 13, 2008
Posted on Sat, Dec. 13, 2008
Dallas Cowboys talk of 'dead issue," but Witten, T.O. have words

By MAC ENGEL and CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
tengel@star-telegram.com
IRVING — Because it was not a big deal at all, Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips held a team meeting Friday morning to discuss the latest chapters in a season that has had far more subplots and distractions than wins.
In the meeting, Phillips, Terrell Owens, Keith Davis, Bradie James and Marcus Spears spoke. The point of the meeting was to not pay attention to the multitude of controversial stories coming out of the team’s own locker room, and when the media does ask about it, to say nothing but instead talk about the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants.

"It’s a dead issue," receiver Patrick Crayton said.

It might be, but it didn’t come without a near altercation Friday between Owens and tight end Jason Witten in the Cowboys’ locker room. According to two sources, the two exchanged words before being separated. Both players acted as if everything was fine when the media was allowed in the locker room. But Owens was still clearly miffed.

Which is why it’s not a dead issue and won’t be unless the Cowboys can pull together and not only beat the Giants but make a playoff run.

The issue "doesn’t matter if we win this week," linebacker Zach Thomas said.

Despite the best efforts of all those involved to dismiss, deny or downplay any and everything, it’s become apparent the loose semblance of control has unbuckled at Valley Ranch, and the fragility of a team of which so much is expected continues to crack. A season that should be about what happens on the field continues to be more about everything but.

No. 1: Owens denied an ESPN report that he is envious of the relationship between Witten and Tony Romo.

"What do I have to be jealous of?" Owens said. "Look at me, I’m handsome as hell. … Anything that goes on, I am going to be the scapegoat. I’m trying to figure out how I make the headlines and I don’t even say anything."

Asked if he was cool with Witten and Romo, Owens said: "I’m cool with everybody. We addressed everything. Coach addressed everything. Everything is everything."

Said Witten of having priority with Romo: "I don’t want people thinking that. Obviously I have a lot of respect for Terrell and I think it’s the same way. He’s a hell of a player."

No. 2: The meeting Crayton, Owens and Roy Williams had with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett about trying to get the ball more, and the alleged tunnel vision Romo has for Witten.

The official line Friday was that meetings take place all the time; it’s no big deal.

The unofficial line is those players were irritated at not being thrown the ball late in the Cowboys’ 20-13 loss Sunday in Pittsburgh. They want the ball. Period.

No. 3: Cornerback Terence Newman’s phone interview with ESPNFirst Take on Friday morning, when he said there is not enough accountability by players, as well as the coaching staff.

"When coaches make mistakes around here, there is nothing said about it," Newman said. "They just go and usually try to defuse that and try to put that blame on somebody else. That is one thing that’s hurting us as a team, players not owning up to it as well as coaches."

Later on Friday afternoon, Newman said, "If you preach accountability, I think you should at least adhere to. I wanted to make sure I stated that. If you are going to make sure you have to be accountable for this and that, you have to hold yourself to those standards. If you make a mistake, don’t try to put it on anybody else. Say you made a mistake — 'That’s my bad’ — and go forward."

The issue among the coaching staff appears to be as relevant as the rest.

There is some concern that Garrett is almost too close with Romo, and that in his quest to follow proper protocol, he will not make any attempt to overreach his boundaries over Phillips’ role.

This is in the same week Phillips let slip that he’s been calling the defense at a time when the unit is playing well. In doing so, he contradicted himself from October when he said "nothing has changed," seeming to undercut defensive coordinator Brian Stewart in the process.

And all of this came up at a time when the Cowboys are 8-5, and now sitting as the sixth and final playoff team in the NFC. A loss to the Giants might wind up ending their playoff chances.

"Right now, I think we’re together," Newman said. "If you’ve got a problem, we’re all men, go address each other in a manly fashion."

But none of this is really any big deal.

The Panch

Reaction score
If it's true, Jerry please do the right thing, and I know you dont have it in you.

Shame on me for being one of those were foolish enough to believe Owens had changed for the better and was soley focused on the team succeeding.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
The Panch;2486124 said:
If it's true, Jerry please do the right thing, and I know you dont have it in you.

Shame on me for being one of those were foolish enough to believe Owens had changed for the better and was soley focused on the team succeeding.

I think the vast majority of us were fooled including the front office who decided they'd extend his contract with guaranteed money.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Ozzu;2486125 said:
I think the vast majority of us were fooled including the front office who decided they'd extend his contract with guaranteed money.

He prolly has behavioral clauses in his contract-he screws up, we can recover the bonus money et al, and cut him with no harm.

JVita17

Benched
Reaction score
It is TOs fault,,,the next question answers from TO made Werder do this BS

Oldschool7

Benched
Reaction score
He prolly has behavioral clauses in his contract-he screws up, we can recover the bonus money et al, and cut him with no harm.

That is our Christmas hope. Cut him. Cut our losses.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
JVita17;2486127 said:
It is TOs fault,,,the next question answers from TO made Werder do this BS

This really doesn't have anything to do with Werder. TOs own insecurity is what got him in trouble at his two previous stops and it is what got him in trouble this time.

WG5516

Reaction score
Are you serious? Who is letting this info get out? This is absolutely ridculous.

The Panch

Reaction score
Ozzu;2486125 said:

Remember this is Jerry he's doing business with. Jerry has constantly let his ego and "wow players" get the best of him and I wouldnt be surprised if that's happened with the contract. Owens would take it as a slap in the face if they put offer on the table.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Oldschool7;2486128 said:

I agree-I knew this season would be a wash since we lost to the Giants in the playoffs. If there's any consolation to this, hopefully this is good timing where he's gone by New Year's(at the latest).

BTW-just hit the Quote button to reply instead of copying and pasting what you're replying to.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
WG5516;2486130 said:
Are you serious? Who is letting this info get out? This is absolutely ridculous.

That's one thing I do miss about Parcells. He ran a pretty tight ship as far as information leaking out. I enjoy hearing some of the inside stories as much as the next guy, but when it comes to stuff like this, it needs to be kept in-house.

WG5516

Reaction score
I can't believe how ridiculous all of this is. I would say suspend T.O. on Monday, but I don't think this team will make it till Sunday without another altercation. Something seriously needs to be done ASAP!

The Panch

Reaction score
WG5516;2486135 said:
I can't believe how ridiculous all of this is. I would say suspend T.O. on Monday, but I don't think this team will make it till Sunday without another altercation. Something seriously needs to be done ASAP!
I dont think we can beat any of the teams on our schedule. Even some of the most disfunctional teams have been able to perform on the field and go their seperate ways. I knows it a different sport, but the '04 Lakers nearly won a championship despite all the drama internally and the rape case against Kobe.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
My money would have been on Witten kicking TO's arse!!!

This whole thing is just one big now.

I think TO probably has to go now, I just dont see Romo, Witten, and TO all being best buds now.

And while we are cleaning house, Coach CareBear can go out the door too. I am sick of all this crap going on and Wade acting like "golly gee, we sure had good effort today".

What a freaking joke of a coach.

Oldschool7

Benched
Reaction score
I think the team could get a HUGE LIFT from an IMMEDIATE suspension.

I seriously think they would win...just like NY won big when they suspended Burress.

The Panch

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2486140 said:
My money would have been on Witten kicking TO's arse!!!

This whole thing is just one big

I think TO probably has to go now, I just dont see Romo, Witten, and TO all being best buds now.

And while we are cleaning house, Coach CareBear can go out the door too. I am sick of all this crap going on and Wade acting like "golly gee, we sure had good effort today".

What a freaking joke of a coach.
Im not too fond of Wade either, but if you're mad at him for trying to make the situation smaller than what it is to the media, that's the job of any coach. To downplay it to the public and handle it behind closed doors like these fools like Newman should've did and "unnamed players" should've done.

Boysboy

Reaction score
The Panch;2486138 said:
I dont think we can beat any of the teams on our schedule. Even some of the most disfunctional teams have been able to perform on the field and go their seperate ways. I knows it a different sport, but the '04 Lakers nearly won a championship despite all the drama internally and the rape case against Kobe.

Shaq and Kobe never got along, FWIW. They won 3 titles together, but eventually, Shaq was ridden out of town. It took them a bit, but the Lakers are back to championship form.

Yeah-I know professional sports is weird, but nonetheless, I have no hope for the rest of the year. TO's bad karma wherever he goes. I was against the signing 2 years ago, and my worst fears have come true.