Cowboy history: Biggest waste of talent (self inflicted)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by OmerV, Jul 1, 2022.

1. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    24,188 Messages
    20,692 Likes Received
    Thinking about the sad case of Randy Gregory made me remember some of the other Cowboys players over time that were blessed with great talent but had personall issues that seriously damaged their careers and legacies. Here are some that come to mind:

Randy Gregory
    - we will never know how good he could have been
    David Irvin - another pot casualty. Like Gregory we will never know how good he could have been, but he had great talent.
    Duane Thomas - Huge talent with an even bigger chip on his shoulder. Didn't get along with anybody - teammates, coaches, media ...
    Lance Rentzel - Star player with a beautiful celebrity wife and a predilection for flashing children.
    Hollywood Henderson - a LB and one of the fastest players in the NFL. A true athletic freak. Serious cocaine habit derailed his career
    Harvey Martin - Had a very good career anyway, but without the multitude of drugs might be discussed alongside guys like Bruce Smith, Deacon Jones etc ...

2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

104,726 Messages
    33,796 Likes Received
    I would add Leon Lett to that list.

3. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

10,775 Messages
    13,358 Likes Received
    Where's Jason Garrett?
    You can't make a thread about self inflicted wasted talent and not include Garrett. - LOL.

4. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

42,699 Messages
    21,085 Likes Received
    I wouldn’t be listing Harvey Martin he had a great career with the Cowboys. I believe it was later in his career when drugs and alcohol became a problem. Michael Irvin had his issues too.

5. MountaineerCowboy

MountaineerCowboy Well-Known Member

15,296 Messages
    28,787 Likes Received
    I know someone that doesn't watch sports at all and the only Cowboys player he knows is Lance Rentzel because of reasons not related to football.

Jake, AmericasTeam81 and Creeper like this.
  6. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    24,188 Messages
    20,692 Likes Received
    I debated on that. He had a good career, but I agree he was his own greatest obstacle to a much better one.

America's Cowboy likes this.
  7. Doomsday101

104,726 Messages
    33,796 Likes Received
    He had a good career that could have been so much better, but getting suspended time after time took away several prime years he had. I think Lett could have been a HOF type player had he been able to stay on the field instead of getting suspensions.

OmerV likes this.
  8. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    24,188 Messages
    20,692 Likes Received
    Did you read my comment? I said he had a great career, but it could have been so much better. He had the kind of talent that could have resulted in him being widely thought of in the same way as the best of the best of the best pass rushers ever. Bruce Smith, Deacon Jones - any of them. Red carpet to the Hall of Fame. He declined way too fast because of personal problems (marital problems and drug abuse).

I guess, however, it isn't fair to say his talent was "wasted", but it sure wasn't maximized like it could have been.

Runwildboys and Doomsday101 like this.
  9. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

42,699 Messages
    21,085 Likes Received
    I read your comment you said he had a “very good” career. He played 11 seasons, far longer than the other players you mentioned. He was drafted in 1973 and by 1977 he put up 20 sacks. In 1978 he had 14.5 sacks. In 1980 had 12.5 sacks. He never had fewer than 8 sacks until his final season in 1983. I don’t see where he declined real fast. Deacon Jones and Bruce Smith were on another level than Harvey Martin. It had nothing to do with drugs and alcohol. You could very well spin the same thing about Michael Irvin that he would’ve been thought of in the same light as Jerry Rice had it not been for his marital problems and drugs.

10. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

30,513 Messages
    36,872 Likes Received
    duane thomas and hollywood henderson could've ended up in canton.
    they were incredibly talented.

11. mrmojo

mrmojo Well-Known Member

8,048 Messages
    7,502 Likes Received
    Erik Williams, if not for his accident he would be a true HOF candidate.

12. zrinkill

zrinkill Cowboy Fan

42,246 Messages
    17,500 Likes Received
  13. Doomsday101

104,726 Messages
    33,796 Likes Received
    True but not self inflicted.

14. blueblood70

blueblood70 Well-Known Member

27,186 Messages
    19,669 Likes Received
    very similar to Aldon smith in many ways so its just perspective..soemone might see it as waste as they didn't finish the way they could have

15. zrinkill

zrinkill Cowboy Fan

42,246 Messages
    17,500 Likes Received
    Yea was so quick to answer did not read the whole title ...... my bad.

SteveTheCowboy and Runwildboys like this.
  16. Doomsday101

104,726 Messages
    33,796 Likes Received
    But you are right, Lee was outstanding player but injured killed his career. Man had a mind for the game, he knew what was coming before the offense ran it.

17. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

10,775 Messages
    13,358 Likes Received
    Dwayne Goodrich
    Antonio Bryant
    Derek Ross

Honorable mentions...
    Quincy Carter
    Joseph Randle

18. DMX690

DMX690 Well-Known Member

722 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Rolando McClain

19. noshame

noshame I'm not dead yet......

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    9,598 Messages
    7,054 Likes Received
    ZEKE!!!

20. CWR

CWR Well-Known Member

18,176 Messages
    26,613 Likes Received
    In recent memory I have to go with David Irving. Gregory had great potential but Irving had a couple games of being unstoppable. It's a shame he didn't work to hone his craft, because there aren't many special 3techs and he could've been one.

OmerV and Bullflop like this.