Twitter: Cowboy Tweets 5/22

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Beasley as our slot WR, but he doesn't seem to have leadership qualities.

Hurns seems to be the most mature and professional of the group. I know he's a new guy, but he's also accomplished the most.

I agree, I think that given the current state and contract status, Hurns has as much of a chance to emerge as a leader as anybody.

Rather than anyone leading, I see a group of receivers where everyone is simply fighting for a spot.

Reaction score
And it says a lot about the Cowboys decision-making that a guy they planned to pay $16.5 million to still can't get a job.
true but he fell off a cliff soon after that deal. Tough to predict but yes, they paid for past performance. Also, kicking the salary cap can is why his annual rate soared.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
true but he fell off a cliff soon after that deal. Tough to predict but yes, they paid for past performance. Also, kicking the salary cap can is why his annual rate soared.

Actually I don't think that was the case with Bryant. As I recall, they intentionally never reworked his deal. Likely for this very reason, so they could get out of it if things went south.

DiResta

Reaction score

they couldnt even field teams if they penalized back then like they do now

jack-lambert-no-teeth-photo_73738022-dca9-4f20-8391-656056bc05db.jpg

lol and these guys had crappy equipment and werent coddled with limited contact and all that
really interesting to think where the sport will be in 20 years

Reaction score
Actually I don't think that was the case with Bryant. As I recall, they intentionally never reworked his deal. Likely for this very reason, so they could get out of it if things went south.
I think you're right and explains why dead cap is relatively low :thumbup:

ESisback

Reaction score
The only reason he was newsworthy is because he played for the Cowboys and the Cowboys = ratings. Now he'll only be newsworthy when he plays against the Cowboys, IF he plays against the Cowboys.

Or if he gets into trouble! Then all we’ll hear about is his affiliation with the Cowboys!

ESisback

Reaction score
Mathew Berry says we have the worst WR group in the NFL! I think we’re in the bottom 16 RIGHT NOW, but I expect us to be in the upper 16 by midseason.

What do you guys say?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mathew Berry says we have the worst WR group in the NFL! I think we’re in the bottom 16 RIGHT NOW, but I expect us to be in the upper 16 by midseason.

What do you guys say?

I say it doesn't matter, specifically anything a fantasy football guy thinks.

What does matter is the level of production that this receiving group has to meet:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2016.htm

Beasley led the team with 833 yards and Dez had 800. Witten had 673.

And that team won 13 games.

That's the limbo bar of expectations to set.

QT

Reaction score

What do you guys say?

Fantasy wise, I definitely wouldn't draft any of the Cowboys WR's. So in a fantasy perspective, he's not to far from the truth.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Ravens offered $7mil/yr vs. $16.5 million slated for 2018 from the Boys......that's a big difference in money that it's clearly not about
Thats the going rate for WRs 30 years old and over, based on Crabtree and Jordys FA deals. Hes knows it, his agent knows it. He clearly wants to be a Giant.

KDM256

Reaction score
One of the main factors about NFL veterans still available during the offseason is because most players don't not want to go through the OTAs and other mandatory off season programs that are in place. Once training camp get going, you'll see a lot of NFL vets getting signed right before the season.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
And it says a lot about the Cowboys decision-making that a guy they planned to pay $16.5 million to still can't get a job.

The Dez situation shows that signing players to big contracts solely to keep homegrown talent is not always the best approach.