Twitter: Cowboy Tweets 6/5

jday

Reaction score
Prior to the Cowboys using a second round tender on David Irving, I thought 2018 would be his last year in Dallas - not because of his off-the-field behaviours, but because he would "price" himself out of the Cowboy market with his performance.

Now I am not so sure. I don't doubt his talent but suspect Dallas is done with him after this season. That said, they probably sign him to a reasonable contract now - not that I would do it.
There's a tough question to answer.

On one hand, I've seen the kid take over games by himself. On the other hand, he comes with alot of baggage. Just when we find out the good news of him separating from the young lady constantly accusing him of DV we find out he's not in shape and his attendance at OTA's is spotty. So, while I'm encouraged that he's making progress off of the field, I'm really disappointed by his supposed lack of commitment to getting better at his craft. It is a bit premature to write him off at this point, but it certainly warrants watching. Here's hoping he can put it all back together by the regular season.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Normally I’d agree, especially with the working out part. 1.5 hours about 3-4 times a week is perfectly acceptable for non atheletes to get in shape. DI also has the resources to have a sweet meal plan/prep since he’s rich.

I made a post in the past about professional atheletes having the means to afford the help/support they need for their personal business/errands however child custody would be one of the very few exceptions that one can not pass to an assistant with no involvement.

There’s too many feelings and emotions both negative and positive and that is a distraction. That’s assuming DI, cares about his kids, which it appears that he does since he’s in court.

It's not like the guy had to spend every waking minute working out to stay in somewhat decent shape. An hour or 2 a day would have been enough. Even if he wasn't at the Star, he could have worked out in California. I'm sure the trainers would have given him a workout regimen to follow.

Then he could spend the other 22 hours worrying about his custody battle.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prior to the Cowboys using a second round tender on David Irving, I thought 2018 would be his last year in Dallas - not because of his off-the-field behaviours, but because he would "price" himself out of the Cowboy market with his performance.

Now I am not so sure. I don't doubt his talent but suspect Dallas is done with him after this season. That said, they probably sign him to a reasonable contract now - not that I would do it.

He's certainly making a case that it'd be risky to bet big on him.

Of course, if he plays great when the season starts, it won't matter. I think he'd be a good fit for Carroll up in SEA--a guy with a reputation for tolerating difficult personalities if they can play. Next to Bennett, Irving is probably a walk in the park. Which is why I keep trying to flip him for Earl Thomas. The one guy is old, the other you can't bet on. The old guy has been a better player, but the undependable one plays a more important position. Both guys want big deals after this season. It seems like a good fit to me.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
You can most definitely blame a professional athlete in a contract year for being out of shape heading into training camp. A custody battle is not an excuse for doing what needs to be done.
I don't know about that Idgit, unless your argument is that he could have been working out to get his mind off of it. Custody battles are extremely draining and stressful. Especially, if you are on the "defensive" side. It really weighs on you when you start to stress out about what level of custody you are going to have with your kids, if you are going to be allowed to be involved in decisions regarding them, if you are going to be at the mercy of the other parent's emotional state when you want to see your kids, if you are going to be jammed up for unreasonable child support, etc.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know about that Idgit, unless your argument is that he could have been working out to get his mind off of it. Custody battles are extremely draining and stressful. Especially, if you are on the "defensive" side. It really weighs on you when you start to stress out about what level of custody you are going to have with your kids, if you are going to be allowed to be involved in decisions regarding them, if you are going to be at the mercy of the other parent's emotional state when you want to see your kids, if you are going to be jammed up for unreasonable child support, etc.

Not trying to make light of the challenge of a custody battle, because it has to be terrible. But almost every dude that faces one has to be employed doing something. Offseason in the NFL shouldn't be all that challenging to fit into your day. What are we talking about here? 3-4 hours of working out, 6 days a week? When, as you say, the exercise is therapeutic?

If we were talking about it affecting him in-season, when he can't be around his family as much and where it'd be a huge and understandable distraction, that's another story. But all we're talking about here is 'coming into camp not in terrible shape.'

817Gill

Reaction score
I admit to being concerned about Irving. He's a talented player who gives us a difficult pass rush to handle between him and Lawrence. However, it isn't good that he seems to be just relying on his talent and not committing himself to being in shape and participating with the team to try to be his best. He may be talented enough to just turn it on when the time comes, but he also could hurt this defense if he's not ready out of the gate to be the player he was for eight starts last season (and even better than that).
I honestly think he won't be on the team next year barring a complete turnaround. Rod used Taco at 3 last year in pass rush situations and he looked very comfortable there, he has also added a good amount of muscle this offseason so it's clear he actually wants to work to get better. They also went out and got Jihad Ward who is an Irving clone and Maliek Collins is a natural 3-tech. He's been here for 3 years and his teammates still 'can't figure him out' per Clarence Hill's article on the FW star. That's concerning.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I honestly think he won't be on the team next year barring a complete turnaround. Rod used Taco at 3 last year in pass rush situations and he looked very comfortable there, he has also added a good amount of muscle this offseason so it's clear he actually wants to work to get better. They also went out and got Jihad Ward who is an Irving clone and Maliek Collins is a natural 3-tech. He's been here for 3 years and his teammates still 'can't figure him out' per Clarence Hill's article on the FW star. That's concerning.

While I agree that it's concerning, the problem is that it's not easy to find DTs who can produce the number of sacks and pressures that Irving did in half a season. We may want other players to take that position because Irving is enigmatic, but the reality is that we've been looking for this kind of 3-tech since we brought in this scheme. It's disheartening that Irving has that kind of ability but can't be counted on when he could be one of the mainstays that we build this defense around. Instead, if he keeps this up, we'll let him go in the offseason and probably try to draft his replacement.

Of course, we'll hope that Ward and Collins can become the type of 3-techs we need, but I'll be surprised if either can reach that level. The bulk Charlton would need might take away from his quickness, plus we would need someone else to step up at end to go that direction. Until proven otherwise, I still think Tyrone Crawford is the second-best 3-tech we've got, but he's dropping weight to play end. (Compare his number to Collins at 3-tech and Crawford comes out ahead; however, we needed someone to play end in 2016 and moved Crawford because he was the most capable of doing it.)

408Cowboy

Reaction score
You can most definitely blame a professional athlete in a contract year for being out of shape heading into training camp. A custody battle is not an excuse for doing what needs to be done.
He did what needed to be done and got custody of his kid.

QT

Reaction score
This is silly. So everyone who gets in a relationship that doesn't work out just needs to "make better decisions". C'mon man, really?

When you date someone, you tend to know what the heck is going on with that other person. You either get out of that relationship or keep digging a hole. You see her going a little cray cray... It's time to move one. Relationships that don't work out is one thing, a girl that is cray cray is another....Make better decisions. Good luck with that drama...

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Yep. And also didn't do what needed to be done and showed up fat for work. I'm working on the principle that it's possible to both win a custody fight and stay in shape during a 24 hour off-season day.
Nothing wrong with that. I just went through it recently and everybody has different ways of coping with stress.

RoboQB

Reaction score
If this is Dak filling this with clean urine for Randy Gregory, then that's the kind of leadership we've been missing around here.

Or else maybe it's Zeke, filling his with dirty urine to get Chaz Green off the roster for Dak. Either way, I'm impressed.

That was hilarious! I cracked up.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that. I just went through it recently and everybody has different ways of coping with stress.

I'm guessing you missed very little work... possibly none at all.

Imagine being paid to eat right and work out.

bpfred

Reaction score
I think some people are overreacting to a player being out of shape in the off-season. There aren't any real games for three months, he's got plenty of time to get in shape.

He's been in the scheme for years now, he knows what he's doing. These practices are a lot more important for guys new to the team/scheme.

I'm starting to feel bad for some of these young guys--the scrutiny they get is way over the top IMO. Let these guys live a little.

And I thank God there weren't phones w/ cameras when I was young.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think some people are overreacting to a player being out of shape in the off-season. There aren't any real games for three months, he's got plenty of time to get in shape.

He's been in the scheme for years now, he knows what he's doing. These practices are a lot more important for guys new to the team/scheme.

I'm starting to feel bad for some of these young guys--the scrutiny they get is way over the top IMO. Let these guys live a little.

I don't think the concern is him knowing what he's doing or even being able to get in shape before training camp. The concern is his approach. Irving is playing on a prove-it tender, which would cause most players to want to show that they are motivated, a team player, trustworthy, etc. If Irving won't do that when he's seeking a big contract, what will he do after he gets one?

I'm not worried about Irving bragging about sleeping with two women at the same time or even the custody battle with his girlfriend that led to her hurling false accusations. Not putting your best foot forward in a contract year? That's concerning. Hopefully, he makes those concerns go away, but this is certainly a step in the wrong direction.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

It’s not just about him being in shape. The guy has hardly even been there during OTAs. Did you read the article? You’d think a guy who is in a contract year who missed a lot of time last year due to suspensions and health would care to actually show up and get better, but he doesn’t.