Cowboys’ dumping of Griffen, Poe, and Worley signals a realistic approach to this year

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by zekecowboy, Oct 29, 2020.

1. zekecowboy

zekecowboy Well-Known Member

1,169 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    The 2020 Cowboys season is over. The fans knew it the moment Dak Prescott went down. The players certainly acted like they knew it in their last two games. And now, it seems, Jerry and Stephen Jones know it too.

Tuesday’s decision to jettison underperforming Everson Griffen, accompanied by word on Wednesday that both Dontari Poe and Daryl Worley will no longer be with the team, sent a message about the Cowboys: they’re being realistic.

All three of those players were added in the offseason with the idea that they’d be under-the-radar moves. Griffen was a force to be reckoned with off the edge in Minnesota for 10 years, accumulating 74.5 sacks during that span. Poe was a monster of a man who had been disrupting pockets for years in Kansas City before injuries marred his three years between Atlanta and Carolina. And Worley brought experience and production at cornerback, as well as the ability to flex to safety.

Read more -
    https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...realistic-approach-to-this-year-mike-mccarthy

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2020
  2. AmariChill

AmariChill Well-Known Member

6,186 Messages
    11,524 Likes Received
    “Realistic Approach”

Yeah right. Not if Jerry has something to say about it :rolleyes:.

DuncanIso and catiii like this.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

67,789 Messages
    79,247 Likes Received
    The moves they made make for a nice start, but there is certainly more that they can and should do. Getting rid of 'the new guys' is easy, especially when it doesn't cost you a ton of money.

Now move on to getting rid of the underachievers who have been here for a while. Cut or bench guys like Jaylon Smith, or Tyrone Crawford. Crawford' numbers are worse than Poe's were, and he's getting paid $8 million this year.

It's easy to do the easy things, tougher to make the tough decisions, and actually hold members of 'the family' responsible.

I'm waiting to see if they finish what they've started.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2020
  4. MikeB80

MikeB80 Well-Known Member

5,864 Messages
    6,341 Likes Received
    If the cowboys have a lead at the end of the first quarter this same guy at blogging the boys will write an article about how Dallas is back in the super bowl mix and anyone who questions his opinions will be taunted and harassed on twitter.

CalPolyTechnique and aria like this.
  5. ColoCowboy

ColoCowboy Well-Known Member

2,693 Messages
    6,935 Likes Received
    Jerry: "Hold my JW and watch this!"

Seriously, though, I do find it encouraging that the team dumped these three players. I think the real test comes at the end of the year when they have an opportunity to rid themselves of Crawford and a few other under-performing vets.

6. superonyx

superonyx Well-Known Member

10,967 Messages
    14,720 Likes Received
    I’m not sure I’m excited about the idea that Nolan was allowed to scapegoat these 3 players.

I also get the feeling these 3 are the ones they suspect of telling the media these coaches have no idea what they are doing. These guys have been on several teams so they know coaching incompetence.

This reeks of a desperate attempt at blame shifting and power grabbing.

Old'Boyfan, Ozone22 and ColoCowboy like this.
  7. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

67,789 Messages
    79,247 Likes Received
    Why wait?

Bobhaze, ColoCowboy and jwooten15 like this.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

37,907 Messages
    7,699 Likes Received
    Did Poe play a snap at all?

CowboyoWales likes this.
  9. JMPearson

JMPearson Well-Known Member

1,449 Messages
    1,211 Likes Received
    These moves make the defense better , they were all terrible players , get some young hungry guys in there

Redball Express, NotForLong and aria like this.
  10. CowboyoWales

CowboyoWales Well-Known Member

1,193 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    I sure Poe has enough experience and doesn't need a coach to tell him he's expected to block one player one on one and make it appear likes he's putting in 100%.

Then again we paid peanuts as that's all we had left, so didnt expect much.

Jaylon (for instance) isnt going anywhere due to the financial consideration of a $9.4m Dead Cap for 2021.

11. CowboyoWales

CowboyoWales Well-Known Member

1,193 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    The Lesser Spotted Poe was last seen assuming his position perched upon a Guard in the Washington area. He didnt appear to be doing much and there's suspicions that he was asleep.

Redball Express and Seven like this.
  12. McKDaddy

McKDaddy Well-Known Member

3,054 Messages
    2,663 Likes Received
    Amen. Shut down the "owner hotline" and install some discipline & accountability for ALL players then we can talk about realistic approach.

Seven and stasheroo like this.
  13. Brax

Brax Well-Known Member

3,441 Messages
    3,104 Likes Received
    When we see Jerrys duds being dumped let us know..........

Seven and aria like this.
  14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

7,135 Messages
    2,363 Likes Received
    Only if they dump the overweight and underperfoming GM.

15. aria

aria Well-Known Member

17,543 Messages
    16,789 Likes Received
    Exactly, so they dumped the cheapest and least productive players on the team is a signal the season is over?

I would think it’s the other way around, they’re trying to improve. The whole addition by subtraction thing.

Not to mention a lot of fans didn’t know the season was over when Dak went down. The media and a good portion of fans gloated how we have the best back up QB in the league and thought we could improve or at least not skip a beat from being the highest scoring offense in the league. Laughable.

Seven and Brax like this.
  16. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

18,422 Messages
    17,742 Likes Received
    What the hell is Crawford using as a bargaining chip, cause I'd like to use it during my next raise negotiation?

stasheroo likes this.
  17. Brax

Brax Well-Known Member

3,441 Messages
    3,104 Likes Received
    I am looking for a real message cut but do not believe we will see one, good bad or indifferent enjoy the game Sunday night as these types of games will not be seen much if it keeps going south.

stasheroo and aria like this.
  18. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Well-Known Member

1,919 Messages
    1,504 Likes Received
    Blogging The Boys is some of the worst bull crap out there.

19. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

29,600 Messages
    51,094 Likes Received
    I started a thread like this and got called on it as this wasn't enough and they were right. That half-assed attempt Jaylon Smith made at tackling should have sent him packing but the Joneses are in bed with him in his business so he gets to stay.

The Cowboys have proven one thing, they are among the worst at acquiring FA's in the NFL. Easy come, easy go.

stasheroo likes this.
  20. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

43,194 Messages
    36,044 Likes Received
    I’m not gonna knock them for it because I didn’t this offseason. I thought they were solid moves at solid prices. But they failed. Miserably.

cowboyblue22, stasheroo and cowboyec like this.