Cowboys 2020 starting RDE will be

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Couple of thoughts/opinions:

-I think the rest of the Edge market is waiting on Clowney. His price and his destination. Seattle is the one place to watch, if Clowney goes elsewhere, they will sign another.

-I do believe the Cowboys are going to sign another fa Defensive Lineman, everything is open, a down DE, another run stuffer or perhaps a stand-up OLB.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I think Crawford is penciled in at this point.

Worst case scenario is Crawford with Armstrong as his backup/passing down DE.

Most likely scenario, and the one that I think the Cowboys are likely planning on, is Crawford with Gregory rotating in like in '18. Then Gregory takes over full time in '21, if he is ready.

I could see Chaisson in the 1st or Weaver in the 2nd, but I think those guys are also kind of projects that would likely play Gregory's '18 role until they were ready to take over full time.

I think there is a chance they are offering 1-year prove-it deals to Clowney and Griffen. They are probably reminding them of what happened to Quinn, how he went from being seen as a descending player to getting a massive contract in one year of being across from DLaw. I don't think its too likely too happen, but they longer those two go without a new contract, the more I think there is a chance.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
PFF is mocking Chaisson to Dem Boyz:

17. DALLAS COWBOYS — EDGE K’LAVON CHAISSON, LSU
Not even 21 years old yet, Chaisson is a player who has a good deal of perceived ‘upside’ with his athletic traits. He’s got a long way to go to fulfill that, though, as he earned only a 78.9 pass-rushing grade this past season and racked up 35 pressures on 370 pass-rushing snaps.

If they draft him he'll be in the mix.

His lack of production scares me....but I'm going defensive line there regardless I don't care what receiver is there. We really need this pick to work out. Can't have another 1st rounder go to waste......unless you hit on the 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Not even 21 years old yet, Chaisson is a player who has a good deal of perceived ‘upside’ with his athletic traits. He’s got a long way to go to fulfill that, though, as he earned only a 78.9 pass-rushing grade this past season and racked up 35 pressures on 370 pass-rushing snaps.

I'm against using our 1st rd pick on upside potential, we want a plug and play impact starter. Drafting a corner makes the most sense.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's been somewhat productive too. Only 15 tackles but 7 sacks? Of course I didn't see them but he's stayed around much longer than I expected.
Be got hot for a stretch here his first year in Dallas. He finished the season with 6 sacks, but I remember he had several the last few weeks of the season. I think he is a pretty productive niche guy. I remember being much more effective rushing from wider gaps. 8 and 9 gap rusher

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think Crawford is penciled in at this point.

Worst case scenario is Crawford with Armstrong as his backup/passing down DE.

Most likely scenario, and the one that I think the Cowboys are likely planning on, is Crawford with Gregory rotating in like in '18. Then Gregory takes over full time in '21, if he is ready.

I could see Chaisson in the 1st or Weaver in the 2nd, but I think those guys are also kind of projects that would likely play Gregory's '18 role until they were ready to take over full time.

I think there is a chance they are offering 1-year prove-it deals to Clowney and Griffen. They are probably reminding them of what happened to Quinn, how he went from being seen as a descending player to getting a massive contract in one year of being across from DLaw. I don't think its too likely too happen, but they longer those two go without a new contract, the more I think there is a chance.
I forget about Armstrong...I wonder at this point are we finally going to see what everyone claims they see in training camp from him?

ultron

Reaction score
Crawford will take a major pay cut and Randy G will get reinstated. They’ll split time at RDE and be a major upgrade over Quinn (terrible vs the run and screens)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford needs to go, however, since we are stuck with him, maybe he, as well as others just need this defensive scheme and coaching change. Maybe he plays much better now. But they need to stop this versatility crap, it has hurt the team for years. Put him at DT and keep him there. He never seemed to produce when they tried to keep him. at DE.

Gregory will be the starting DE, and if the draft another DE, then he will be in a rotation anyway. Until they are ready to start. I really hope they do not waste another draft pick on a DE though, unless he is a sure fire starter. They take DE's every year from the 4th to the 7th round. They used a 5th round on DE's 3 years in. a row I believe, and not a one has worked out.

Armstrong is going int his 3rd year, and was a 4th round pick? Anyway will see how he improves. They still seem high on Jackson and Jelks or is that just Marinelli smoke. Will see what the new staff thinks in TC.

Of course there is still Clowney and Griffen as FA's, but doubt that happens. This will not be fixed this year, unless Gregory plays light out after being out of football for 18 months.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Here's my thinking on Crawford.......if you recall, his lack of high-level play is the reason we traded Quinn. In other words, he lost his starting job to Quinn, making him a part-time DE/DT. So I'm not sure you plan the season thinking he's your full-time starting DE. As for Gregory, it's really simple to me, until I see it, I'm not believing it and that's not to bash him but Randy has led us down this road before only to get burnt. Not sure if some you guys notice, you're using TWO players to fill one position. Remember the thinking when you using TWO players for the same position you probably don't have a clear starter.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I forget about Armstrong...I wonder at this point are we finally going to see what everyone claims they see in training camp from him?

Right now I think he falls into the group of players and label them....what can the new staff do with them...type players. Will they be better, get better. Just show flashes again. Not too much being said at this point.
What fans need to remember is players like Armstrong, Jackson, Jelks, the players Rod wanted. So can the new coaches utilize their skills are are they just guys now trying to compete for a role on the team. As we know, rod's DL guys have not really worked out all that well.
Remember the Ryan Russell, Joe, Ivie, Charles Tapper, Jordan Carrol, Ken Bishop picks that he was so high on getting.

I was not high on any of them, but am willing to see what jumps they make this TC.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Right now I think he falls into the group of players and label them....what can the new staff do with them...type players. Will they be better, get better. Just show flashes again. Not too much being said at this point.
What fans need to remember is players like Armstrong, Jackson, Jelks, the players Rod wanted. So can the new coaches utilize their skills are are they just guys now trying to compete for a role on the team. As we know, rod's DL guys have not really worked out all that well.
Remember the Ryan Russell, Joe, Ivie, Charles Tapper, Jordan Carrol, Ken Bishop picks that he was so high on getting.

I was not high on any of them, but am willing to see what jumps they make this TC.

I Don't fault MAranelli for being excited about those late round guys. That's all they would give him. But the Charles Tapper and Ryan Russell picks and even Joe Jackson picks were far too high to be wrong on. And I'm not saying they should be stars but at least some decent depth.

BigD_95

Reaction score

Since when is 6.5 sacks in college good for a pass rusher?

Seems more of a upside player which Cowboys never see the upside. I rather draft a proven player in the 1st round that is more of a cant miss

morasp

Reaction score
Since when is 6.5 sacks in college good for a pass rusher?

Seems more of a upside player which Cowboys never see the upside. I rather draft a proven player in the 1st round that is more of a cant miss
I see a lot of comments on Chaisson's production so I broke it down. In 17 starts including three games as a true freshman he has 9.5, sacks 18 TFL, and 92 tackles.

K'Lavon (pronounced KAY-luh-vahn) Chaisson followed a friend to an LSU football camp and wound up receiving a scholarship offer despite not yet playing a down of varsity ball. Two years later, the Houston North Shore High School product was a four-star prospect and top-50 overall recruit. He started three of 12 games played as a true freshman in 2017, posting 27 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, two sacks and two pass breakups off the edge. Big things were expected for Chaisson in 2018, but he tore his ACL in the season opener; he had five tackles and a sack in his only game of the year. He met those expectations in his redshirt sophomore season, helping the Tigers take the national crown by garnering first-team All-SEC honors with a team-high 13.5 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks among his 60 total stops in 13 starts.

Nick Bosa in his last full season started 14 games had 8.5 sacks, 16 tackles for loss, and 34 total tackles. Slightly more sacks per game, half of the tackles per game, and slightly more tackles for loss per game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/nick-bosa-1.html
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/k'lavon-chaisson?id=32194348-4103-1652-cb42-0c501912b1a9

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I see a lot of comments on Chaisson's production so I broke it down. In 17 starts including three games as a true freshman he has 9.5, sacks 18 TFL, and 92 tackles.

K'Lavon (pronounced KAY-luh-vahn) Chaisson followed a friend to an LSU football camp and wound up receiving a scholarship offer despite not yet playing a down of varsity ball. Two years later, the Houston North Shore High School product was a four-star prospect and top-50 overall recruit. He started three of 12 games played as a true freshman in 2017, posting 27 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, two sacks and two pass breakups off the edge. Big things were expected for Chaisson in 2018, but he tore his ACL in the season opener; he had five tackles and a sack in his only game of the year. He met those expectations in his redshirt sophomore season, helping the Tigers take the national crown by garnering first-team All-SEC honors with a team-high 13.5 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks among his 60 total stops in 13 starts.

Nick Bosa in his last full season started 14 games had 8.5 sacks, 16 tackles for loss, and 34 total tackles. Slightly more sacks per game, half of the tackles per game, and slightly more tackles for loss per game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/nick-bosa-1.html
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/k'lavon-chaisson?id=32194348-4103-1652-cb42-0c501912b1a9

So you're saying his lack of production has more to do with playing time than talent.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm against using our 1st rd pick on upside potential, we want a plug and play impact starter. Drafting a corner makes the most sense.
If that corner can come right in and play yes it would make more sense. But can he come right in and play better than Brown, Lewis or Chido? Because if he can't....I can get a corner in the 2nd or 3rd round.

blueblood70

Reaction score
NO MORE PROJECTS..yes Gregory gets first shot Crawford will be a june 1st cut IF we need to free up money so in the draft BPA will apply and this will work itself out and im sure another FA rusher can be added for depth..

lets let this off season work itself out and then worry about it,,September is LONGGGGGG WAY OFFFF..

cowboygo

Reaction score
We are still looking for Quinn replacement......whether it's the draft, free agency or trade, it's safe to say he's NOT currently on the roster IMO and no, it's not Crawford or Randy Gregory. Unless they are waiting to make a trade or player on another team to be released, our 2020 starting RDE is in this thread, somewhere, but WHO???????

2020 NFL Draft Rankings: Edge Rushers
https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/02/17/nfl-draft-2020-edge-rushers-rankings-best-prospects

KEVIN HANSON
UPDATED:
MAR 15, 2020
ORIGINAL:
FEB 17, 2020

1. Chase Young, Ohio State (JR, 6'5", 264 pounds)

Checking all the boxes teams covet in a pass-rusher, Young's elite traits are matched by elite production. Combining an ideal blend of size, length and athleticism, Young has an explosive first step with outstanding bend and advanced hand usage. Commanding double (or even triple) teams, Young's impact isn't always felt in the box score, but he posted a school-record and FBS-high 16.5 sacks in 2019 after recording 10.5 as a sophomore. As talented as any pass-rushing prospect over the past several draft classes, Young has the potential to become a perennial All-Pro early in his career.

2. K’Lavon Chaisson, LSU (JR, 6'3", 254 pounds)

Chaisson tore his ACL in the 2018 season opener and is one of the younger prospects—turns 21 at the end of July—in this year's draft class. Displaying outstanding burst and bend around the edge, Chaisson flashes elite pass-rushing upside, but he has lacked consistent sack production. That said, he led the team in sacks (6.5) in 2019 and built momentum down the stretch with 4.5 sacks in his final four games. More projection than production at this early point in his development, Chaisson has the elite physical profile to develop into a high-end pass-rusher at the next level.

Honestly, I'm also keeping an eye on Jevoney Clowney on a prove-it deal...

I hope its a combination of 1st rounder Zack Baun and Randy Gregory.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Here's my thinking on Crawford.......if you recall, his lack of high-level play is the reason we traded Quinn. In other words, he lost his starting job to Quinn, making him a part-time DE/DT. So I'm not sure you plan the season thinking he's your full-time starting DE. As for Gregory, it's really simple to me, until I see it, I'm not believing it and that's not to bash him but Randy has led us down this road before only to get burnt. Not sure if some you guys notice, you're using TWO players to fill one position. Remember the thinking when you using TWO players for the same position you probably don't have a clear starter.
They traded for Quinn b/c Gregory wasn't available.

Crawford is a 4-3 DE (so ~30% of plays) and moves inside in nickel. They got Quinn to play in the nickel and rush the passer.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They traded for Quinn b/c Gregory wasn't available.

Crawford is a 4-3 DE (so ~30% of plays) and moves inside in nickel. They got Quinn to play in the nickel and rush the passer.

OK my bad but my point not planning a season with him as your full-time starting DE is still accurate it seems.