Cowboys a top 6 team in wins and cap space

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel that Dallas did learn from the bad contracts.

Which "bad contracts" did they learn from?

And don't spend over the CAP to get one more player.
Yes. They have CAP money now.

But that will be quickly gone with the players on the roster they must re-sign.

A large portion of it, yes. But not all of it, and not so much that they're unable to do anything in free agency. In fact, they could pay the players on the roster they want and still have enough for significant free agents.

The drafting has been very good over the past 5 years.

It undoubtedly has for the most part.

I say stay the course.j

You'll have to be more specific on that?

Are you referring to "the course" that got us one more win in 2018 than the year before? Where we get one more win for 2019 and bounced in the next round of the playoffs?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Makes me feel good about the future, at least for the next couple pf years. Hopefully we don't go down a road often travelled, over paying for aging players and guys like Brandon Carr in FA. Key is drafting well, keeping the average age and salary commitments lower. I think if you look at that same group of teams and their success in the draft over the past 3 years you would find the Cowboys near the top too. Keep finding guys like X Woods and Anthony Brown in late rounds and guys like Antuan Woods from other teams and you have your answer. Forget overpaying for high priced FA's.

Here is a stat I'd like to see. Top 5 teams that have payed the biggest $$ for FA over the past three years and their wins. I think many would tuck tail and get off the "have to sign big name FA's" bandwagon if someone wants to do some digging. Sure the Giants spent big on FA defensive players three years ago. Where are they now? The Squiggles did the same 2 years ago and missed the playoffs in 2018. Any lessons from that?

The corners of the secondary are looking youthful, inexpensive, and good...and signing to new contracts today, won't hit top shelf levelsw.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DWARE, Miles Austin... Where have you been the last few years.

Apparently not going back to contracts over a decade old, while watching them sign truly awful deals as recently as 2016 and 2017.