Cowboys allowing 4th most pressure in the league

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It’s just not that useful of a stat. The Panthers OL has been decimated with injuries since training camp and they are #1. Without context it’s meaningless. If the Cowboys pressure % is high and Dak’s time to throw is low then we’ve got a serious problem. But that doesn’t seem to be the case. I think Dak gets “solid” protection. Far from great, but even farther from horrid.

All stats require context. This stat is consistent with what you can see. The protection isn't that bad, and Dak holds the ball too long.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
That is a reason in addition to WR not getting open, play not being called to get ball out quickly, QB not progressing though reads fast enough,etc.

We have no shortage of issues.
I used to call for Linehans head, but now......? Linehan is scheming a good game because guys are open but Dak is not seeing them or hitting them. On the other hand maybe a more creative OC can work with Daks deficiencies better and adjust while still being successful since Linejan can't.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I used to call for Linehans head, but now......? Linehan is scheming a good game because guys are open but Dak is not seeing them or hitting them. On the other hand maybe a more creative OC can work with Daks deficiencies better and adjust while still being successful since Linejan can't.

He's not doing a good enough job scheming to our players strengths or making adjustments. Dak is getting hammered and protection is spotty against Houston and wasn't calling for short quick release routes that Dak does throw well and would help to negate their pass rush. That critical 3rd down play in OT, he has Beasley line up as a HB and Zeke as a FB. Beasley runs a little misdirection, but no one is going to fall for that in that situation, everybody is keying on Zeke. The defense has no fear of Beasley lined up as a HB. To make matters worse, in the FB position there is no room for Zeke to get speed or space to adjust and make a move. He's stuck at that one spot in the OL and if it isn't there, like what happened, he has no chance to make a move or chance to build some speed to power through.

khiladi

Reaction score
This team doesn't throw many short quick routes, it has over the seasons have always been reliant on slower developing routes. 3 seconds to throw on a short route is not the same as 3 seconds on a slow developing route, it just isn't. If the pressure is affecting the QB, you shorten the routes to negate that pressure, you make adjustments to the playcalls and/or blocking. Simply calling the same type routes and telling your team to "do better" is the epitome of bad coaching, you make adjustments. If you can establish those short routes, it will also help open longer routes.

Yes it does, with Dak as QB. Where do you think his successful passing chart is? Plus, teams took away the short route with Beasley, meaning they’ve taken away the underneath.

Plus two yards is more than enough space to throw short pass... so not really sure what your point is.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Yes it does, with Dak as QB. Where do you think his successful passing chart is? Plus, teams took away the short route with Beasley, meaning they’ve taken away the underneath.

Plus two yards is more than enough space to throw short pass... so not really sure what your point is.
Yeah, if you watch the film teams are aggressively trying to take away the short and quick stuff. They know that’s Dak’s bread & butter. Even when he completes those now it’s into pretty good coverage. Teams are daring him to throw deep or on the edges.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Not shocking since Connor Williams has been getting worked over on a weekly basis. Still think we need Johnathon Cooper.:rolleyes:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Are they "getting it done" though?

All 3 teams have identical records.

Don't know you tell me. who have they lost to, compar to the quality of the teams we have lost to?

Are they losing games because they can't score more than 14 points?

mmohican29

Reaction score
Don't know you tell me. who have they lost to, compar to the quality of the teams we have lost to?

Are they losing games because they can't score more than 14 points?

I'll tell you that to date, none of the 3 teams are overly impressive. You should have figured that out on your own though.

Quality of teams means nothing when 3 mediocre teams lose to other mediocre teams.

The Cowboys stink, but they're not unique in the NFL in this regard.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well, time itself is still objective, but what you mention is another factor to consider. How often a team utilizes shorter drops, how quickly they typically release it on the various drops, etc. would all play a part in analyzing when pressure is from poor protection.

All you have to do is watch the games to see how poor the protection is. And its not just the protection that's bad. Its the penalties as well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
All you have to do is watch the games to see how poor the protection is. And its not just the protection that's bad. Its the penalties as well.
This is what I was going to come in here and say. People are saying stats don't always tell the story. Watch these games. The offensive line isn't terrible at all times but pressure at the tackle position are becoming a problem.

People will post 2 or 3 times during the game where Dak may get pressured for holding the ball too long but that hasn't been the issue for why this line can't pass protect for him and to be honest?The run blocking hasn't been great either.

I can live with this offensive line playing like this but this team has spent far too much money on this offensive line. They've spent enough resources to where they should be ok when Frederick is out and Looney is playing solid enough as a guy coming in.

The more time goes by the more I think it was foolish paying this line like this. You need a great tackle and a great center. Zach Martin is a luxury. HE may be our best lineman but I'm not sure if this team could afford to give him the money we just signed him too.

Legend

Reaction score
Tyron Smith against quick pash rushers is starting to remind me of Doug Free.