Cowboys also Undefeated when Su'a-Filo Starts

conner01

Reaction score
True but it is a bit easier for Looney when he has Martin next to him, when Martin went out you had what really was 3 backups in the middle of the OL and they did a very good job.
Speaking of looney, only one bad snap
Pretty good there
He has done a really solid job

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's not because he plays well. He is garbage.

I would not go as far as calling him garbage, pro bowl player? no but he has filled in and has not hurt the team. Guys like Chaz Green killed Dallas, we lose 1 player on the OL and fall apart? these backups have come in and done a good job for Dallas

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I would not go as far as calling him garbage, pro bowl player? no but he has filled in and has not hurt the team. Guys like Chaz Green killed Dallas, we lose 1 player on the OL and fall apart? these backups have come in and done a good job for Dallas

Better than our rookie starter did in the beginning.

He's a fit for this year. Unless Williams beats him out.

conner01

Reaction score
I think we’ve got solid play from all our backups and that’s such a blessing after Chaz and others over the years

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
One thing that I saw in this past game with the game still in doubt the Cowboys had Martin out and Cowboys still over came that and put up 3 TD 2 in regulation and 1 in OT. While Philly has issues in the secondary they don't have issues on the DL.
Yeah that got lost in all of this. All I've heard is how their secondary depleted...which btw.....wasn't very good to begin with. But that's all we heard. No one is speaking on how our offensive line was decimated.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think we’ve got solid play from all our backups and that’s such a blessing after Chaz and others over the years

Conner Williams proved he can play the swing guard position when he filled in for Martin.

If I were in charge, that's how I'd roll going forward.. Prepare Connor Williams for the swing guard role....

Doomsday101

Reaction score

When Frederick went down I did not know what Dallas would do.Yet Looney has filled in nicely, he is not the same devastating blocker as Frederick but he has done a good job. Tyron goes out for a couple of weeks and Fleming comes in and does a good job. This past game Martin goes out in critical part of the game Conner Williams comes back in and does a good job. Big difference from past seasons

conner01

Reaction score
When Frederick went down I did not know what Dallas would do.Yet Looney has filled in nicely, he is not the same devastating blocker as Frederick but he has done a good job. Tyron goes out for a couple of weeks and Fleming comes in and does a good job. This past game Martin goes out in critical part of the game Conner Williams comes back in and does a good job. Big difference from past seasons
Depth has saved our season along with cooper

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
He's better than Connor Williams at this point.

And he is playing lights out, for the most part.

Not perfect.. But go watch him in the Eagles game.

All players have bad plays and games, even.. But he had a great game against the Eagles. And offensive production is up when he's in there.
Acutally, Connor Williams was pretty darn good this last game aside from a couple of pressures, but he had Cox over him his entire time in there and outside of a couple of real pressures, he held Cox down. Just saw the (https://media.giphy.com/media/fpXxIjftmkk9y/giphy.gif) youtube version of it.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
When he first got the start, I saw a lot of sports writers bagging on him, saying he was overrated, that we were winning in spite of him and that Connor Williams should get the start, in spite of the uptick in offense since he's been plugged in at LG.

But go look at the Eagles game.

Part of the reason they were allowed to do so much offensively, albeit not in the red zone, is because Dak had a lot of time on the left side, or at least he had space to work.

And Zeke had places to run.. behind Su'a-Filo.

The only part of Su'a-Filo's game that was a little weak was on the bull rush, but he's still able to hang in there.

Starting him over Connor Williams is a no-brainer at this point.. He may be good one day, but Su'a-Filo is playing lights out for Dallas in the sense that he makes the offensive unit better and more productive.

I'm not saying he's perfect. I'm saying he's a good fit for what we do, and a better fit than Williams right now/this year.
We are also undefeated since I stopped wearing pants to watch the games.....

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Huge difference.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
It probably will change over time. I'm saying now might not be the time to tamper with the chemistry or make changes to a good thing.

He's a more flexible player and his ability gives you more options.

I'm not saying I'm giving up hope on the rookie. I'm saying it makes more sense to play Su'a-Filo because his game is coming on. He's tough, and scrappy and has a motor like a defensive tackle and he, along with Cooper, is making this offense better.
Maybe you are seeing something I'm not because he hasn't been much better then Williams. I'm ok with not moving Williams back in because of chemistry or what not. That being said he is giving up sacks and pressures just like Connor did although Connor looked better in the run game...... Just from what I seen. Only thing Xavier has looked better is the bull rush but still getting beat.

I think the turn around for the offense has been the addition of Cooper, Columbo taking over as coach and changing back to a zone run.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Maybe you are seeing something I'm not because he hasn't been much better then Williams. I'm ok with not moving Williams back in because of chemistry or what not. That being said he is giving up sacks and pressures just like Connor did although Connor looked better in the run game...... Just from what I seen. Only thing Xavier has looked better is the bull rush but still getting beat.

I think the turn around for the offense has been the addition of Cooper, Columbo taking over as coach and changing back to a zone run.

Giving up sacks is part of the game.

You guys, with your standards of perfection.

I'm talking about from a realistic/pragmatic standpoint.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Giving up sacks is part of the game.

You guys, with your standards of perfection.

I'm talking about from a realistic/pragmatic standpoint.
Where did you get anything about perfection in my comment. I just simply stated that he isn't playing better than Connor and used sacks and pressures to back up what I was saying........ Try to stay on point and not go overboard or I have nothing else to say.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Where did you get anything about perfection in my comment. I just simply stated that he isn't playing better than Connor and used sacks and pressures to back up what I was saying........ Try to stay on point and not go overboard or I have nothing else to say.

The Eagles game is a good example of what I'm talking about. If you watch that game, you can see him making plays to help, several of them.. and isn't just out there struggling to hold his own, like back up players from the past.

You are saying sacks and pressures means he's not playing well. I'm saying he may have given up some plays, but is making more of a positive impact than a negative one.

Using a few sacks and pressures against him is a standard of perfection..

Again, all players give up sacks and pressures at times.

I'm not bagging on Williams. I'm saying I like what Su'a-Filo brings as far as a positive impact and play-making ability.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
The Eagles game is a good example of what I'm talking about. If you watch that game, you can see him making plays to help, several of them.. and isn't just out there struggling to hold his own, like back up players from the past.

You are saying sacks and pressures means he's not playing well. I'm saying he may have given up some plays, but is making more of a positive impact than a negative one.

Using a few sacks and pressures against him is a standard of perfection..

Again, all players give up sacks and pressures at times.

I'm not bagging on Williams. I'm saying I like what Su'a-Filo brings as far as a positive impact and play-making ability.
And I'm saying he isn't playing better than what Connor was. I don't expect any player to be perfect but folks think because the offense looks better it's because Xavier is better than Connor and that's just not true.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Believe me. Connor Williams is the better player. If Zach Martin needs some time off I think we put Connor Williams back in regardless, La'el can go in to LG and Flemming at RT. Connor was good at RG against Fletcher Cox in place of Martin.

Check out this in depth video explaining the whole o-lines game against the Eagles.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Believe me. Connor Williams is the better player. If Zach Martin needs some time off I think we put Connor Williams back in regardless, La'el can go in to LG and Flemming at RT. Connor was good at RG against Fletcher Cox in place of Martin.

Check out this in depth video explaining the whole o-lines game against the Eagles.

I like the way this guy breaks down film, but I disagree with him in the beginning here about XSF.

In the plays where he talks about Williams, Su'a-Filo is also in there.

He's not as strong or as athletic as Williams, but he's a smart player...scrappy and not always pretty, but gets the job done.

Here's a XSF breakdown from the first win over the Eagles, which Su'a-Filo also played in.

Last edited: