Cowboys and Brandon Weeden agree to 2-year deal

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Actually Mallet isn't his backup and if I am not mistaken, Weeden was a higher draft choice than both of those guys. Just saying...

So, Weeden is better because Holmgren reached? And yes, Mallett backs up Tom Brady.

Look, I get not getting excited over a now third string, potential second string.

But he is what he is.

In Cleveland, he was horrible.

Trying to minimize the backup QB position in response to the angst is not a smart approach, especially if you use playoff teams who have slightly better in reserve. In other words, still employed, not walking the street then taking a dirt deal from one of the worst organizations in the league at evaluating reserve QB talent.

I don't care we signed him. Might care more later, but I have bigger things to get upset about, or even defend. It is borderline irrelevant to our success in 2014.

MartinRamone

Reaction score
Also... its not like if Weeden played with no talent around him.

Joe Thomas and Alex Mack to protect him... yes an OL is made with 5 players, but Schwartz and Greco werent so bad and the other two QB did better than him.
Josh Gordon as receiver, enough said.
Jordan Cameron as tight end, enough said.

He is awful, period.

al124

Reaction score
Weeden doesn't offer anything more than a rookie would've IMHO. Would've liked to see the boys draft Aaron Murray or Tom Savage instead.

Aven8

Reaction score
Every time I've watched him play he looked incompetent and lost.

The one time I watched him, outside of college, was last season when he was throwing bombs away against the Giants and destroyed them. Yes I know one game does not make a player, hell Garrett looked good for one game also. ;)

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
@Edwerderespn: Cowboys view Weeden as potential future starter depending, of course, on his development and Tony Romo health next 2 years.

laughing-cat.jpeg

texbumthelife

Reaction score
So, Weeden is better because Holmgren reached? And yes, Mallett backs up Tom Brady.

Look, I get not getting excited over a now third string, potential second string.

But he is what he is.

In Cleveland, he was horrible.

Trying to minimize the backup QB position in response to the angst is not a smart approach, especially if you use playoff teams who have slightly better in reserve. In other words, still employed, not walking the street then taking a dirt deal from one of the worst organizations in the league at evaluating reserve QB talent.

I don't care we signed him. Might care more later, but I have bigger things to get upset about, or even defend. It is borderline irrelevant to our success in 2014.

Im not excited about him either. I am just pointing out that just because a team uses valuable resources on a QB like a high draft pick, doesn't mean squat.

DABOYZ

Reaction score
Weeden is the third quarterback and counts less than $100,000 against the cap. To me, he's just an insurance policy in case Kyle Orton retires and a spare arm for OTA's. Having Weeden around is no worse than having a Stephen McGee on the roster. This isn't a bad signing.

The problem is this guy doesn't deserve to be on any NFL roster he is a pile of you know what. A complete waste of money.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
This makes me want to puke...dont blame it on Cleveland, they had Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron to throw at...

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
03a15943d62ed1529618ea8b4a0b5dacdff6c401c2c750f803edc6584beb2cb9.jpg

He will never see a start anyways and if he does...........get some booze at the ready!

SWG9

Reaction score
14 pages. I love this place.

The only thing I'll add is this: don't think for a second that Jones isn't going to spend the next few years dumpster diving for QB's trying to find Romo's eventual replacement.

Nothing screams "brilliant personnel man" more than finding a franchise QB for cheap. On some level, I think it chafes Jones to no end that Parcells and Sean Payton get the credit finding and developing Romo, especially after Jones spent years going through Anthony Wright and Clint Storner types with no success.

I'm actually kind of looking forward it. It's going to be entertaining.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
14 pages. I love this place.

The only thing I'll add is this: don't think for a second that Jones isn't going to spend the next few years dumpster diving for QB's trying to find Romo's eventual replacement.

Nothing screams "brilliant personnel man" more than finding a franchise QB for cheap. On some level, I think it chafes Jones to no end that Parcells and Sean Payton get the credit finding and developing Romo, especially after Jones spent years going through Anthony Wright and Clint Storner types with no success.

I'm actually kind of looking forward it. It's going to be entertaining.

Now that is positive thinking. :)

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Weeden looked good in college due to him just throwing jump balls to Dez. Can't exactly do that type of thing with consistency in the NFL.

Stryker44

Reaction score
How were you able to get him so cheap? Its less than what he was given in Cleveland when he was a rookie...what? Surprised he'd agree.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
2 aging players at 32 years of age @17 mil per vs 1 young 1st round draft choice.

Now that is a compelling argument, ... Hatcher and Ware are both still 31, and Weeden will be 31 in October. Not that much of an age difference.

Probably shouldn't bring up the age thing any more to support your point.

Bottom line is Ware and Hatcher are gone, .. and Weeden is here.

theSHOW

Reaction score
Now that is a compelling argument, ... Hatcher and Ware are both still 31, and Weeden will be 31 in October. Not that much of an age difference.

Probably shouldn't bring up the age thing any more to support your point.

Bottom line is Ware and Hatcher are gone, .. and Weeden is here.

I agree...I'll just stick to 17 million per year for2 guys who are on the downside vs a new to the league qb who could develop and is a 1st round pick from 2 seasons ago and is only costing Dallas 600 thousand per year. Not happy cut him.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Not a terrible signing.

1) he should never see the field. And it does't matter who our backup is, if Romo goes down we're screwed
2) we might be able to move Orton for a late or mid-rounder to a desperate team like Jacksonville
3) insurance if Orton decides to retire, which with his waffling, he's basically already retired