Cowboys and Brandon Weeden agree to 2-year deal

DuDa

Reaction score
I think you guys are going overboard with how bad Weeden is. There are plenty of QB's that have struggled and then flourished with a new team. I remember Drew Brees sucking his first couple of seasons in SD and Steve Young wasn't lighting the world on fire in Tampa either. Guess who's first year starting stats are these below:

A. 3284 yards, 17 TD's, 16 INT's, 60.8 compl %
B. 3385 yards, 14 TD's, 17 INT's, 57.4 compl %
C. 2282 yards, 8 TD's, 13 INT''s, 53.7 comple %

I'm not saying Weeden is going to become Drew Brees or Steve Young but don't count this guy out yet just yet. Remember, he was considered by many to be a 1st/2nd round QB when he came out.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
So for a 2 year 1.23 mill deal with no guaranteed money we get a former first round pick who we liked out of the draft.

That people is a decent investment - maybe he develops. Maybe not. If not, we lose very little.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think you guys are going overboard with how bad Weeden is. There are plenty of QB's that have struggled and then flourished with a new team. I remember Drew Brees sucking his first couple of seasons in SD and Steve Young wasn't lighting the world on fire in Tampa either. Guess who's first year starting stats are these below:

A. 3284 yards, 17 TD's, 16 INT's, 60.8 compl %
B. 3385 yards, 14 TD's, 17 INT's, 57.4 compl %
C. 2282 yards, 8 TD's, 13 INT''s, 53.7 comple %

I'm not saying Weeden is going to become Drew Brees or Steve Young but don't count this guy out yet just yet. Remember, he was considered by many to be a 1st/2nd round QB when he came out.

Steve Young was 26 when he went to San Francisco. Drew Brees was 27 when he went to New Orleans. Age is the big difference between those two guys and Weeden. When they began to flourish many years after they entered the league they were both still young enough to do something about. If Weeden waits around the same amount of time he will then be ready to retire.

joseephuss

Reaction score
So for a 2 year 1.23 mill deal with no guaranteed money we get a former first round pick who we liked out of the draft.

That people is a decent investment - maybe he develops. Maybe not. If not, we lose very little.

I think we gain very little even if the price is low.

Animosity

Reaction score
This hurts me to say.. but I would much rather have Mark Sanchez than Brandon Weeden.

DuDa

Reaction score
Just watched a few of Weeden's college games. Here just a quick snapshot:

Stands tall in the pocket and can really drive the ball. Makes some very nice touch passes when he has a pocket. Does a good job of looking off the safety and not staring down his receiver. Will just throw the ball up off his back foot when pressured up the middle. Not sure if Ok St. teaches how to read defenses. Some were simple mike blitzes and he should have known where to go with the ball. Has the physical skills but really needs to be coached up.

Summary: The Browns should have never started the guy as a rookie. He needed a good QB coach and a solid veteran to learn from and he had nothing close to that in Cleveland. The potential is there but I'm not sure if a 30 year old QB is worth a project...we'll see. I think his ceiling is Carson Palmer.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I think we gain very little even if the price is low.

Who knows - two years ago, most teams had him as a 1st or 2nd rounder. He goes to a terrible team with coaches fighting for their jobs and doesn't develop. No idea if it would have been different with a better and more stable club but we get a cheap look that costs very little.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
Just watched a few of Weeden's college games. Here just a quick snapshot:

Stands tall in the pocket and can really drive the ball. Makes some very nice touch passes when he has a pocket. Does a good job of looking off the safety and not staring down his receiver. Will just throw the ball up off his back foot when pressured up the middle. Not sure if Ok St. teaches how to read defenses. Some were simple mike blitzes and he should have known where to go with the ball. Has the physical skills but really needs to be coached up.

Summary: The Browns should have never started the guy as a rookie. He needed a good QB coach and a solid veteran to learn from and he had nothing close to that in Cleveland. The potential is there but I'm not sure if a 30 year old QB is worth a project...we'll see. I think his ceiling is Carson Palmer.

I think you are being harsh on Carson Palmer.....

Dodger12

Reaction score
I often try to view a signing from a perspective of how I would feel if the Eagles, Giants or Skins signed the player. Lets face it, if one of those teams signed Weedon, we'd be laughing hysterically and not be concerned in the least if he started against us. Somehow, some people have talked themselves into finding something positive about this pick-up. I get that our season won't hinge on Weedon, as we'd be toast if Romo went down. But somehow signing a QB that isn't good enough to be a back-up for for the Browns has a certain stench to it that just doesn't sit well.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I often try to view a signing from a perspective of how I would feel if the Eagles, Giants or Skins signed the player. Lets face it, if one of those teams signed Weedon, we'd be laughing hysterically and not be concerned in the least if he started against us. Somehow, some people have talked themselves into finding something positive about this pick-up. I get that our season won't hinge on Weedon, as we'd be toast if Romo went down. But somehow signing a QB that isn't good enough to be a back-up for for the Browns has a certain stench to it that just doesn't sit well.

Well right now he's the 3rd qb. Gotta compare him to those other teams 3rd qb.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Well right now he's the 3rd qb. Gotta compare him to those other teams 3rd qb.

The writing is on the wall....Orton's a goner. I have to resign myself to the fact that at some point next season, I may have to root for Weeden throwing the rock while wearing the star. I feel dirty.......

hutch1254

Reaction score
I'm not excited about this at all but I can see why.

• If Orton walks Weeden is insurance. Team is eliminating the "oh crap Orton walked, who is our 2nd QB now" thing.
  • Weeden and Dez definitely could hook up consistently when at Okie St so there is a comfort level there for him.
  • Weeden could have been a bit better, the dumpster fire in Cleveland did not help.
  • If Orton doesn't walk, Weeden is a 3rd or cut.
  • The front office must not be overly concerned about Romo's back, or his back is making a great recovery.
  • I don't think this reduces the chance of drafting a QB. If something is there and fits they'll do it. Would love to see a Murray type in the 4th.
  • The money for Weeden is nothing depending how things shake out.
Now let me clean up this vomit and get back to the trenches.