Twitter: Cowboys and Zeke “on same page” re: Extension

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I always smirk when peeps get on here talking about "Tags" and run him into the ground and move on when this team has been jawing constantly about extending him now.
It's like you're all men.
You don't listen.

CCBoy

Reaction score
:)

What do you mean that I'm not listening?

beethoven-ear-trumpet.jpg

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I always smirk when peeps get on here talking about "Tags" and run him into the ground and move on when this team has been jawing constantly about extending him now.
You don't listen.

It's possible to listen and think the team should do something different. People do it with Dak, constantly.

Corso

Reaction score
It's possible to listen and think the team should do something different. People do it with Dak, constantly.
Yeah... but that's not what I'm talking about.

Beaker42

Reaction score
You don't listen.
If he gets suspended for even one more game then we’d be stupid to extend him.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Talking to Zeke about an extension makes perfect sense. They want to gauge his price range to see what they can offer Jaylon Smith and Byron Jones this year. They dont want to over do it on Jones and Smith then end up having to let Zeke walk.

Defense wins championships but dynasties are forged from the offensive side of the ball.

Corso

Reaction score
If he gets suspended for even one more game then we’d be stupid to extend him.
Very true, but you negotiate now.
When he has zero leverage and, if he gets suspended, you should already have an out in the contract.

This is a good place to negotiate for that 2nd contract.

He gone for misconduct? Cap relief. Keep stocking the bank with decent backups until the replacement is needed.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Very true, but you negotiate now.
When he has zero leverage and, if he gets suspended, you should already have an out in the contract.

This is a good place to negotiate for that 2nd contract.

He gone for misconduct? Cap relief. Keep stocking the bank with decent backups until the replacement is needed.
We can have him for the next 3 years for 25m...... there is no reason to extend him unless it is very team friendly

He needs to grow up

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Well of course he does.
We shall see what happens, yes?
I just can't see handing him a check for 25m and saying we have to add a clause that gets money back if you keep doing drugs or getting arrested for violence

Not when they can go year to year with no risk and all reward

If Zeke is unhappy with that too bad..... grow up and stay in shape

Mr_437

Reaction score
Didn't bother to look at the video. Of course there on the same page, Zeke is the best player on the team.

I always find it funny for ppl to expect a person with a warrior's spirit/archetype to conduct himself as an CEO/sage of some fourtune 500 company, for lack of a better example.

Why a lack of a better example? Because you have drugged out NFL owner involved in a overdose death, oh and one in court about prostitution rings. You have NFL coaches getting their houses shot up...nah those situations are nothing, right.

Those are grown azs men, some Multi-Millonaires, so screw their mess ups, right? Just talk down on a 23 year old who was drinking alcohol at a festival and didn't even push, hit, solicit or over medicated anybody to death.

Corso

Reaction score
I just can't see handing him a check for 25m and saying we have to add a clause that gets money back if you keep doing drugs or getting arrested for violence

Not when they can go year to year with no risk and all reward

If Zeke is unhappy with that too bad..... grow up and stay in shape
I get it... you can't see it.
But watch it happen, much to your disbelief.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I get it... you can't see it.
But watch it happen, much to your disbelief.
It is really 6 one way..... half a dozen the other

The numbers are very similar except for the guaranteed commitments

Corso

Reaction score
It is really 6 one way..... half a dozen the other

The numbers are very similar except for the guaranteed commitments
My wife gets confused by that saying every time. LOL!
6 of the other and something of... that?

Rayman70

Reaction score
who cares , its May for cryin out loud. Wake me when camp starts.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think the deal is

-Coop needs to be extended this year.
-Dak needs to be extended this year.
-Jaylon, it would probably be better to extend him now rather than wait for him to hit RFA and basically let another team dictate our contract offer.
-Byron, needs to be extended this year if we're keeping him, although I haven't heard a single word about us doing that.

Zeke, OTOH, still has two years left on his contract.

But more importantly than that, the RB market is not going to change after this season. Look at your top 5 non-Zeke RBs in the game - I'd call them Saquon, Gurley, McCaffrey, Bell, and Kamara. David Johnson might have an argument to be on the list. Anyway, all of those guys save Kamara already have their big contract, or are like 3 years away from their big contract. The Saints have the option to extend Kamara after 2019, but they may wait all four years of his contract until they pay him.

So long story short, the top dollar for an RB isn't going to change between 2019 and 2020. No player is going to reset the market, so we're not really going to save any money if we pay him early. Couple that with 2 remaining years of team control, and holding off on an extension is a smart move.

I think the understanding is that the team will deal in good faith with Elliott and offer him a Gurley style deal, but they won't get around to hammering out specifics until they see how the final numbers for their other extensions look. Leaving Zeke on the back burner is good is business, but it's important to keep him placated with some real contract talks to keep him from holding out in the meantime. Imagine how different our outlook for the season would be with our brand new Mike Weber/Tony Pollard backfield.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
You don't listen.

Zeke has to perform, and the franchise tag sure is appealing...

Also, get a damn haircut, Zeke!! The shaggy poodle-head needs to retire. If he'd just go short like when he was at OSU, then everything'd end up being money for him moving forward, guaranteed.