Cowboys approach to off-season remains consistent

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The hunt for what? They are a fringe playoff team mostly, as likely to whiff on the playoffs as they are to make it.

They need more than a nudge. They need to stop taking extreme positions in what they do - they swung from older teams and high profile FAs to being scared of older players and any decent FAs. They got weary of changing coaches every 3-4 years, to now keeping one employed likely long after his expiration.

They need a culture shift again.
It’s six of one and half dozen of the other if you’re only using results to measure. I get your point.

But surely you can see that we appear in a better place than we were at the end of Wades tenure? The way we’re going about building and maintaining the team is a definite improvement.

Not bad for this dysfunctional organization. Amazing we’re competitive at all. We are talent dependent. We’ve amassed just enough to field a pretty good team. Winning 3 division titles in 5 years the rest of the division and league should be ashamed as they are actually attempting to place more qualified people in place as GM, director of personnel and HC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree the Cowboys coaching limits them, but if you can take teams down to the wire in the playoffs, as they did with GB twice, and as they did with the Rams last year despite an abnormally poor defensive showing, there is a reasonable chance to go at least a round deeper, if not more. In those kinds of games, one play, or one break, can make the difference.
Right. If we could have stopped Rodgers from a miraculous 3rd and 20 we advance to championship game.

And if either Murray doesn’t fumble or Dez catch is ruled a catch we might have played in another one.

And why it’s often more of a play or two which determines these closely contested games.

Cowboy fans are more than familiar with losing playoff and championship games in our history with one or two plays making the difference.

It’s a lame excuse solely blaming our coaching. Our players performance and opposing players performance and coaching also deserve credit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're confusing the point of this thread.

Homers will always think we are going to take the next step. This is about the new roster construction method we've implemented, which wasnt around in 2014, so 2014 is negligable and we can throw that out.
I’d argue the current construction method begin in 2011 when Garrett took over. By 2014 we had begun making tough decisions too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Revisionist history.

If you don't believe that at those times the homers were running around screaming at the naysayers that this was the start of something, then you just aren't being honest.

And no, I don't see much of a difference between this roster and the one in 2014, for example. The defense is better but the offense is worse. As I have said many times, this team is really not much better than the ones that Phillips took to the playoffs. In a decade, this franchise hasn't advanced much if one is truly honest with themselves.
You appear to be confusing these teams are similar because of their results?

You even admitted that 2014 team the offense was better and defense worse which in itself describes two different teams.

With Wade the 2007 was no doubt best playoff team he had. The team obviously got worse because of poor drafts and player acquisitions culminating in the collapse in 2010.

I really don’t see any resemblance in how this team has been built. That team was totally QB dependant at the end of Wades tenure and the first few years with Garrett.

IMO we can certainly present an argument we are in a much better place. Now whether that culminates into more favorable results is yet to be seen but I think most would say we are in a better position to sustain a more consistent contender for a longer period of time with the current mechanisms in place.

ShiningStar

Reaction score

You even admitted that 2014 team the offense was better and defense worse which in itself describes two different teams.

With Wade the 2007 was no doubt best playoff team he had. The team obviously got worse because of poor drafts and player acquisitions culminating in the collapse in 2010.

I really don’t see any resemblance in how this team has been built. That team was totally QB dependant at the end of Wades tenure and the first few years with Garrett.

IMO we can certainly present an argument we are in a much better place. Now whether that culminates into more favorable results is yet to be seen but I think most would say we are in a better position to sustain a more consistent contender for a longer period of time with the current mechanisms in place.

we are, and to be fair, lets bring in all te FAs possible. But that doest solve this team playing on all cyclinders at once. As you said, lets see if the results are favorable. True, but the results arent based on talent, the biggest thing still killing us is coaching. True, i like what Richard Lal and Bloom brought. I think the SP coach needs to be fired.

The biggest question mark is what does KM bring, followed by the draft. Our draft is going to be watched because we are missing the first rounder and our second round picks arent alwas stellar. So we really need to hit on it.

FA as been meh, Cobb was a good signing, but not as a dire need. Heck Witten doesnt even make me happy, as i feel team did better without him and i fear hes going to be more if a hindereance than help.

Im sure the whole offense will applaud Fredbeards return. Thank you Looney but we gotta put the captain in.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
I'm going to catch heat for this but personally I like what they are doing. Now granted there are/were some free agents out there who could be upgrades over what we currently have on defense, but why do that and put ourselves in cap hell? Eventually teams like the Rams, Eagles, will have to pay the piper for what they are currently doing. Let's look at the current state of the team and realistically say what positions need an upgrade. In my opinion the starting offense is set at every position with the exception of TE (whereas we need to get faster and more athletic). On the defensive side I would rather have a younger, cheaper, FS in X. Woods than an aging E.T. (of who is my fraternity brother so that says a lot). It appears as if they are doing their best now to fix the glaring need on the DLine, so let's be patient.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I'm going to catch heat for this but personally I like what they are doing. Now granted there are/were some free agents out there who could be upgrades over what we currently have on defense, but why do that and put ourselves in cap hell? Eventually teams like the Rams, Eagles, will have to pay the piper for what they are currently doing. Let's look at the current state of the team and realistically say what positions need an upgrade. In my opinion the starting offense is set at every position with the exception of TE (whereas we need to get faster and more athletic). On the defensive side I would rather have a younger, cheaper, FS in X. Woods than an aging E.T. (of who is my fraternity brother so that says a lot). It appears as if they are doing their best now to fix the glaring need on the DLine, so let's be patient.

by paying the price do you mean a SB victory, Eagles, or getting closer to the SB than the Cowboys, Rams. which price are they paying?

Cowboy fans watching other teams fly by: oh yea, well we won years ago , SO THERE!!!!!!!!!

Sydla

Reaction score

Results are all that matters.

Not what you think about the roster versus that roster. That's subjective opinions. In reality, this franchise, despite all the props some of you want to give to them for building the "right way" are no further along as a franchise as some of Wade's best teams, which by the way, were pretty talented teams themselves.

Sydla

Reaction score
by paying the price do you mean a SB victory, Eagles, or getting closer to the SB than the Cowboys, Rams. which price are they paying?

That's the question.

As a fan, are you OK with trying to go for it in a 3-4 year window or are you content building a good team, but maybe not a great team because you want to limit the downside?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
That's the question.

As a fan, are you OK with trying to go for it in a 3-4 year window or are you content building a good team, but maybe not a great team because you want to limit the downside?

we built a good team and lost. we actually cant account for teh amount of talent and not win. So im all for goig for the SB and than turning it around agian in a couple of years. If the eagles can do it in two, cowboys can as well. in fact the cowboys have had plenty of chances to win the SB rather give it up than be successful.

I dont need this so called good team that might vs a team that can win it. this is a water downed league winnig it all is easier.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Results are all that matters.

Not what you think about the roster versus that roster. That's subjective opinions. In reality, this franchise, despite all the props some of you want to give to them for building the "right way" are no further along as a franchise as some of Wade's best teams, which by the way, were pretty talented teams themselves.
True but all of the results aren’t in yet.

Do you believe in the way we’re building the team versus when Wade was here?

Surely your able to evaluate beyond just the results?

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score

Cowboy fans watching other teams fly by: oh yea, well we won years ago , SO THERE!!!!!!!!!
Did we lose the game against the Rams because of the players or their scheme? In my opinion we were out coached and unprepared and the Rams found some detail in the way our DLine were positioned (and we really missed a player like David Irving). We also swept the Eagles last year, beat the Saints, (who were both considered to be in the top echelon of the NFC). Now ask yourself, "do we really need to be big spenders on overpriced free agents and be in cap hell?" Or, should we find the cheapest BPA? We are not that far away. It seems that you would prefer to be the Commanders teams of past who would be big spenders in free agency and not even make the playoffs.

Sydla

Reaction score
True but all of the results aren’t in yet.

Do you believe in the way we’re building the team versus when Wade was here?

Surely your able to evaluate beyond just the results?

Honestly, no............ because both methods are resulting in teams that seemingly always have some significant flaws.

The Cowboys of old would try to lump FAs on top of FAs to fill holes but were always trying to play catch up with the roster. The same is happening now in that by the time they draft a complete defense, you may be staring at a situation where the OL has to be rebuilt.

There is absolutely ZERO reason for this franchise to not use FA better than they are. I have zero issues with them putting a premium on drafting the right way, but no team has won a SB just drafting alone and ignoring adding some important FAs.

Sydla

Reaction score
Did we lose the game against the Rams because of the players or their scheme? In my opinion we were out coached and unprepared and the Rams found some detail in the way our DLine were positioned (and we really missed a player like David Irving). We also swept the Eagles last year, beat the Saints, (who were both considered to be in the top echelon of the NFC). Now ask yourself, "do we really need to be big spenders on overpriced free agents and be in cap hell?" Or, should we find the cheapest BPA? We are not that far away. It seems that you would prefer to be the Commanders teams of past who would be big spenders in free agency and not even make the playoffs.

See this is part of the problem. You guys set up this lame strawman argument where what the detractors want is the Cowboys to blow $90MM in cap space in one offseason. Few have suggested that's what the Cowboys should do.

It's hard to have an honest discussion when you exaggerate things.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's the question.

That’s a great question. I think the Cowboys front office is answering your question. The downside is a greater concern.

That said that doesn’t mean they don’t want to win it but not at the risk of a collapse . Plus I think an argument can be made you could have both.

A consistent contender could eventually break thru as well. It doesn’t have to be a Super Bowl or Bust mentality as some fans would prefer.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Honestly, no............ because both methods are resulting in teams that seemingly always have some significant flaws.

The Cowboys of old would try to lump FAs on top of FAs to fill holes but were always trying to play catch up with the roster. The same is happening now in that by the time they draft a complete defense, you may be staring at a situation where the OL has to be rebuilt.

There is absolutely ZERO reason for this franchise to not use FA better than they are. I have zero issues with them putting a premium on drafting the right way, but no team has won a SB just drafting alone and ignoring adding some important FAs.
Then your not going to be happy with anything less than a Super Bowl.

Sydla

Reaction score
Then your not going to be happy with anything less than a Super Bowl.

I refuse to set my standards lower.

This is always a bizarre argument that many here make. On one hand, they will bristle and get pissy if anyone has the audacity to not call the Cowboys one of the greatest franchises in NFL history but then turn around and set low expectations for the team going forward.

It's weird.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
See this is part of the problem. You guys set up this lame strawman argument where what the detractors want is the Cowboys to blow $90MM in cap space in one offseason. Few have suggested that's what the Cowboys should do.

It's hard to have an honest discussion when you exaggerate things.
The problem as I see it is we have a front office who is gun shy in FA and understandably so. So we acquire low risk acquisitions to fill gaps and add talent .

Talent evaluation is one of our weaknesses. We struggle evaluating our own guys much less someone else’s. It’s how we think receivers by committee could work.

ShiningStar

Reaction score

ie stated many times i am no fan of Garrets

what i am suggestig, is a big spedig FA when need, or availiable, well spent for worth. avoidg it for the sake of saying "well we are 1 or 2 players away, lets get neiter ad see what happes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I refuse to set my standards lower.

This is always a bizarre argument that many here make. On one hand, they will bristle and get pissy if anyone has the audacity to not call the Cowboys one of the greatest franchises in NFL history but then turn around and set low expectations for the team going forward.

It's weird.
Then you’re always going to be disappointed with this dysfunctional organization.

We aren’t that championship caliber football franchise any longer. Only in name.