Cowboys Are Best Road Team. By Far

CPanther95

Reaction score
Some truth here. But again...I’ve been at a number of games at the old stadium...fans were weak and passive there too. Its a deeper issue than the stadium.

90,000 fans can’t get loud? Even if half of them were wine & cheese folks...there ought to be enough beer-drinking hardy types to make a wall of noise.

Only half would be wine and cheese crowd if only half the seats had PSLs attached to them.

Sadly, the "beer-drinking hardy types" are underrepresented at the higher income levels.

T-RO

Reaction score
While Jerry is quite happy that his stadium is alway$ full, it’s seriously doubtful he cares much about the “quality” of the cheering, or that he would consider said cheering to have much impact on the Cowboys’ W-L fortunes.

The Vikings stadium has noise reflective material baked into the inner walls.

I don’t know about the construction design of the Jerry dome but I doubt it has the same. I suspect consideration was given to music/concert acoustics.

But again...Cowboy fans for decades generally sit back...refusing to take the energy to inject themselves into the home games. Perhaps they are more interested in critiquing the coaches than in making a difference.

CPanther95

Reaction score
I was at the Steelers game there and it got pretty loud in the stands when both the Steelers and Cowboys fans were yelling (when the Cowboys were on offense :D ) but from what I've heard from sound engineers on the field, there's very little sound that makes it down to field level. One guy was there for the opening game at the stadium and said when the crowd was at it's loudest, he could yell to someone across the field and they'd hear him.

T-RO

Reaction score
Aticle from 2012: Troy Aikman calls fans a Bunch of Bandwagoners

When Brandon Marshall called Chicago's win over the Cowboys two weeks ago—at Cowboys Stadium—a "home game", he wasn't kidding. The Bears jumped out to an early lead, never looked back, and received an increasing percentage of the cheers as the game went on.

That didn't sit well with some, but Troy Aikman says it's nothing new. Aikman, speaking on SportsRadio 1310 The Ticket (as transcribed by the Dallas Morning News), compared Cowboys home games to those of their NFC East rivals—and finds them lacking.

"I don't think Dallas has ever really had a great home field advantage. What I've heard is that, 'Wow, they really lost home field advantage when they left Texas Stadium.' Texas Stadium really wasn't that different. Having played playoff games in Texas Stadium, that stadium was rocking, it was great. ... But when we would play in Philadelphia, New York and walk out of the tunnel, I would have to be yelling at the top of my lungs for guys to hear me. And you get on the plane for the flight home and your head would be pounding, you wouldn't have a voice, and that's just the way that it was. There was no way you could go down there near the goal line and use hard count in an opposing stadium. And yet in Texas Stadium, teams did it all the time."

Any theories as to why, Troy?

"I think for a large part – and the fans don't want to hear this – a lot of the people that attend sports in this town, they're there because it's kind of just a place to be seen. I didn't know anybody who went to Rangers games, and then when they started winning and going to World Series, everybody's wearing Rangers hats and saying, 'Oh yeah, I'm a big Rangers fan.' I've always said Dallas isn't so much a sports town as it is a winner's town."

Aikman's not the first of the Triplets to throw out the "bandwagoner" accusation, so it's probably got to sting for Cowboys fans hearing it. But here's a simple way to decide how mad you should be right now. Are you a frontrunner? If yes, no one cares about your hurt feelings. If no, Aikman's not talking about you.

T-RO

Reaction score
Maybe Garrett > Fans

At least Jason is giving 100% effort.

GenoT

Reaction score
The Vikings stadium has noise reflective material baked into the inner walls.

I don’t know about the construction design of the Jerry dome but I doubt it has the same. I suspect consideration was given to music/concert acoustics.

But again...Cowboy fans for decades generally sit back...refusing to take the energy to inject themselves into the home games. Perhaps they are more interested in critiquing the coaches than in making a difference.
Don’t have any stats on this, but Cowboys home games have traditionally been magnets to out-of-towners. For Dallas visitors, it’s always been considered a fun outing to go to a Cowboys game with local friends/family, where you can root for ‘em, root against ‘em...or just sit back, watch the DC Cheerleaders and socialize. And I’d imagine it’s even more so at the Disneyland-like Jerry World.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If the team wins more, the cowbell ringers will be more apt to keep their tickets rather than sell them. It is that simple.

T-RO

Reaction score
The thing is...if fans would throw themselves into it...they’d find it makes game day so much more fun.

It’s an adrenaline rush to be a part of a mighty throng, imposing your presence into the game.

The Cowboys need a culture change of sorts and these kinds of changes start with a minority, a segment

RoboQB

Reaction score
Aticle from 2012: Troy Aikman calls fans a Bunch of Bandwagoners

When Brandon Marshall called Chicago's win over the Cowboys two weeks ago—at Cowboys Stadium—a "home game", he wasn't kidding. The Bears jumped out to an early lead, never looked back, and received an increasing percentage of the cheers as the game went on.

That didn't sit well with some, but Troy Aikman says it's nothing new. Aikman, speaking on SportsRadio 1310 The Ticket (as transcribed by the Dallas Morning News), compared Cowboys home games to those of their NFC East rivals—and finds them lacking.

"I don't think Dallas has ever really had a great home field advantage. What I've heard is that, 'Wow, they really lost home field advantage when they left Texas Stadium.' Texas Stadium really wasn't that different. Having played playoff games in Texas Stadium, that stadium was rocking, it was great. ... But when we would play in Philadelphia, New York and walk out of the tunnel, I would have to be yelling at the top of my lungs for guys to hear me. And you get on the plane for the flight home and your head would be pounding, you wouldn't have a voice, and that's just the way that it was. There was no way you could go down there near the goal line and use hard count in an opposing stadium. And yet in Texas Stadium, teams did it all the time."

Any theories as to why, Troy?

"I think for a large part – and the fans don't want to hear this – a lot of the people that attend sports in this town, they're there because it's kind of just a place to be seen. I didn't know anybody who went to Rangers games, and then when they started winning and going to World Series, everybody's wearing Rangers hats and saying, 'Oh yeah, I'm a big Rangers fan.' I've always said Dallas isn't so much a sports town as it is a winner's town."

Aikman's not the first of the Triplets to throw out the "bandwagoner" accusation, so it's probably got to sting for Cowboys fans hearing it. But here's a simple way to decide how mad you should be right now. Are you a frontrunner? If yes, no one cares about your hurt feelings. If no, Aikman's not talking about you.

Aikman is exactly right, and he should know. It's a winner's town.
So, win at home, damnit!

But...
The team loves to see the road fans. They're looking up at us from the sidelines.
So, the theory that home fans are partly responsible has some weight.
I just think that it shouldn't matter.

The home fans, present company excluded I'm sure, appear to not be the most knowledgeable
fans at the stadium. Goaline, 3rd down, etc. The opposing offenses don't ever have to use silent count
at JerryWorld. Just wear a tinted visor... lol

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If you count ONLY the road games against teams that finished with a winning record AND dismiss the Eagles game from last season, the Romo/Dak teams are still 5-2 over the past four seasons. That's a .714 winning percentage -- BY FAR the best in the NFC (the Eagles are second at .450) and tied for the best in the NFL (Patriots also .714). Even the Matt Cassel team went 1-1 -- again, that .500 winning percentage would lead the NFC and would be tied for third in the NFL.
That's all well and good, but fewer than 2 games a season is pretty insignificant.

To be clear, I'm not saying they're bad on the road. I'm just saying that a 23-9 record doesn't mean anything, because the vast majority of those wins are against bad teams.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
The problem is the 23rd best home record in the past 4 years (11th in the NFC).

That's the same since the new stadium opened - 23rd best home record in the past 9 years also.
That's it. Let's go back to the old stadium. That should do the trick. :laugh:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Could it possibly be that the C-boys aren't overly turned on by "fans" who act like they're at the opera? Naw...;)

Last edited:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
That's all well and good, but fewer than 2 games a season is pretty insignificant.

To be clear, I'm not saying they're bad on the road. I'm just saying that a 23-9 record doesn't mean anything, because the vast majority of those wins are against bad teams.

You might have a point if we didn't win the vast majority of our road games against playoff teams, as well as the vast majority of our road games against winning teams. There's no other NFC team that can say that.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You might have a point if we didn't win the vast majority of our road games against playoff teams, as well as the vast majority of our road games against winning teams. There's no other NFC team that can say that.
Dallas doesn't win the "vast majority" of road games against playoff teams.

2014: 1-0 (W SEA) *L to GB in playoffs
2015: 1-1 (W WAS, L GB)
2016: 2 -1 (W GB PIT, L NYG)
2017: 1-1 (W PHI*, L ATL)

Over the 4-year span, they're 5-3 in the regular season against playoff teams on the road. If you take away the Philly game, they're 4-3, and if you include postseason, they're 4-4. The win against the 9-7 Commanders counts, but they won that game despite losing the TO battle 3-1, and having only 318 yards of offense. The difference was that WAS missed a field goal.

So in all, they've eeked out a winning record in the regular season against playoff teams, and half of the wins came in the season when they were 12-4. So no, they're not a particularly good road team, and the success they've had is indicative of the poor opponents they've played. What other NFC teams is largely irrelevant. Dallas might be better than them, but that just means they're all terrible.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Dallas doesn't win the "vast majority" of road games against playoff teams.

They're 5-3, which is a .625 winning percentage.

You claimed that "the vast majority of those wins are against bad teams." Of our 23 road wins, 14 are against teams that finished with a losing record. That's 60.9 percent.

So 60.9 percent is a "vast majority," but 62.5 percent is not?

CPanther95

Reaction score
You can nitpick every road game win and come up with reasons to minimize it - but the fact remains that compared to the rest of the league their road record is impressive.

The level of opponent is moot since every other team has a fairly comparable level of opponents.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They're 5-3, which is a .625 winning percentage.

You claimed that "the vast majority of those wins are against bad teams." Of our 23 road wins, 14 are against teams that finished with a losing record. That's 60.9 percent.

So 60.9 percent is a "vast majority," but 62.5 percent is not?
Well it's 16 of 23 of those wins that were against losing teams....69.5%. That's a lot closer to "vast majority" than 62.5%, especially when you consider the fact that the sample size is nearly tripled (more than tripled if you discount the Philly game).

Define "vast majority" however you want. The point is, they are effectively a .500 club against winning teams on the road, and if they played 32 road games against those teams, they'd be a .500 road team. There is really no argument against the fact that their road record is inflated by the fact that they have played weak teams on the road.

T-RO

Reaction score
21-4 when Dak or Tony starts...over 4 years, including a winning percentage over playoff bound opponents. ON. THE. ROAD.

One must be desperate w/an agenda to suggest that is anything but ultra impressive.

And there is no way it fails to demonstrate that Garrett and the coaches must be doing a few things right.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
21-4 when Dak or Tony starts...over 4 years, including a winning percentage over playoff bound opponents. ON. THE. ROAD.

One must be desperate w/an agenda to suggest that is anything but ultra impressive.

And there is no way it fails to demonstrate that Garrett and the coaches must be doing a few things right.
It's not ultra impressive. A bunch of wins against sub .500 teams makes you a .500 team. That's not ultra impressive.

Garrett is a ****** head coach, but his road record has nothing to do with it.