Cowboys Are Best Road Team. By Far

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Well it's 16 of 23 of those wins that were against losing teams....69.5%.

That's not correct. It's 14 of 23, as I said. And that (.609) is a lower percentage than what you said was NOT a "vast majority."

The point is, they are effectively a .500 club against winning teams on the road, and if they played 32 road games against those teams, they'd be a .500 road team.

Going 7-3 on the road against winning teams is "effectively .500?"

NFL teams win about 25 percent of their road games against winning teams. And you're downplaying both our actual .700 winning percentage and your bizarre "effectively.500" winning percentage?

There is really no argument against the fact that their road record is inflated by the fact that they have played weak teams on the road.

There really is no point to your argument. No matter how you break it down -- playoff teams, winning teams, average teams, losing teams, whatever --. we've been one of the best road teams in the entire NFL in recent seasons. Whether that impresses you is irrelevant, because it is factual. Given your statement about every other team being terrible, it's obvious that you're just being stubborn.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dallas is the ultimate road team in the NFC over the past four years. And it’s not even close!

Even including the down 2015 season...nobody in the NFC has won more road games than Dallas. The Cowboys have piled up an absolutely golden 23-9 record in roadies spanning ‘14, ‘15, ‘16, and ‘17.

To put that in perspective...that’s a winning percentage that gets you in the playoffs every season. All on the road while sleeping in hotels and facing a wall of noise.

How does this road record stack up?
#1 Dallas: 23-9
#2 Atlanta: 18-14

Quite Simply...they’ve been killing it.

More thoughts...and a very controversial question coming in a bit...
These stats are often misleading depending on how the schedule delivers.

I bet if we dived further into this we’d find we had our tougher non divisional games at home than the road.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There's no question that they are a better road team - or a dismal home team depending on how you choose to look at it.

(Sticking with the same time frame as the OP)
Their winning percentage as a road underdog (53.3%) is almost as high as their winning percentage as a home favorite (56.5%).

As a road favorite they are 82.3% and as a home underdog they are only 27.3%.

Only team better as a road favorite is Houston who is 100% (4-0), while the Cowboys 82.3% is for 17 games.
Here’s some excellent stats which bring more light to these stats. Well done!!

CPanther95

Reaction score
They're still better than .500 against road opponents that were favored.

No matter what the level of opponent, it still means they won over half the games on the road that they were "supposed" to lose. That's crazy good regardless how you look at it.

T-RO

Reaction score
These stats are often misleading depending on how the schedule delivers.

I bet if we dived further into this we’d find we had our tougher non divisional games at home than the road.

We’ve beat good teams, bad teams and mediocre teams.

One might make of it a magical mystery...a slight of hand...if one is dead-set to invalidate the accomplishment.

In 4 years the only time we’ve lost on the road w/Dak or Tony:
-We lost by 3 points to NY...on Dec 11, 2016.
-We lost the final game of the season to Philly when we were resting our starters*
-We got thumped by Denver in Mile High
-Lost in Atlanta without Tyron and Zeke

The other 21 road games? All wins

*We were ahead in this game when Mark Sanchez was put in.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We’ve beat good teams, bad teams and mediocre teams.

One might make of it a magical mystery...a slight of hand...if one is dead-set to invalidate the accomplishment.

In 4 years the only time we’ve lost on the road w/Dak or Tony:
-We lost by 3 points to NY...on Dec 11, 2016.
-We lost the final game of the season to Philly when we were resting our starters
-We got thumped by Denver in Mile High
-Lost in Atlanta without Tyron and Zeke

The other 21 road games? All wins
Are you able to post our results last 4 years? Would be interesting to see.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Pass plays have a lot more reads and audibles and you really have to communicate with wideouts. If you're running, what the WRs hear or don't hear isn't as critical, and the oline and RB are in a better position to hear.

I bet it's tougher on the QB to avoid sacks with crowd noise covering the line noise too.

Also, run plays tend to quiet a crowd.

T-RO

Reaction score
Pass plays have a lot more reads and audibles and you really have to communicate with wideouts. If you're running, what the WRs hear or don't hear isn't as critical, and the oline and RB are in a better position to hear.

I bet it's tougher on the QB to avoid sacks with crowd noise covering the line noise too.

Also, run plays tend to quiet a crowd.

I agree with some of what you are saying...but I don’t think it’s the full picture. A big part of the challenge on the road is that—if it’s loud—the offense can’t hear the QB, making audibles difficult and removing the advantage of getting a quick punch off the line. O-line must watch the snap of the ball just like the defense...can’t eyeball defender much.

This impact is present w/runs and passes.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
@T-RO I see where you're going with this. It is a valid question.

As far as home field dis-advantage, is it the Cowboys fans or is it the stadium design? I thought Dallas area folk were crazy about their teams?

T-RO

Reaction score
@T-RO I see where you're going with this. It is a valid question.

As far as home field dis-advantage, is it the Cowboys fans or is it the stadium design? I thought Dallas area folk were crazy about their teams?

I know lots of fans that are highly invested in the team but it often doesn’t translate into standing up and being heard.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That's not correct. It's 14 of 23, as I said. And that (.609) is a lower percentage than what you said was NOT a "vast majority."

Going 7-3 on the road against winning teams is "effectively .500?"

NFL teams win about 25 percent of their road games against winning teams. And you're downplaying both our actual .700 winning percentage and your bizarre "effectively.500" winning percentage?

There really is no point to your argument. No matter how you break it down -- playoff teams, winning teams, average teams, losing teams, whatever --. we've been one of the best road teams in the entire NFL in recent seasons. Whether that impresses you is irrelevant, because it is factual. Given your statement about every other team being terrible, it's obvious that you're just being stubborn.
The original list I posted is 16.

Was talking about against playoff teams - but stated it wrong.

"one of the best" and "good" are not the same. That's my point.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The original list I posted is 16.

Are you sure about that?

Let's check:

Titans 2-14 <------ 1
Rams 6-10 <------ 2
Seattle 12-4
Jacksonville 3-13 <------ 3
Giants 6-10 <------ 4
Bears 5-11 <------ 5
Eagles 10-6
Commanders 4-12 <------ 6

Eagles 7-9 <------ 7
Dolphins 6-10 <------ 8
Commanders 9-7

Commanders 8-7-1
49ers 2-14 <------ 9
Packers 10-6
Browns 1-15 <------ 10
Steelers 11-5
Vikings 8-8

Cardinals 8-8
49ers 6-10 <------ 11
Commanders 7-9 <------ 12
Giants 3-13 <------ 13
Raiders 6-10 <------ 14
Eagles 13-3

That's 14. Which two "losing teams" did I not count?

Was talking about against playoff teams - but stated it wrong.

Again, 5-3 somehow becomes "effectively .500." Never mind that the rest of the NFL wins those games at a .225 clip.

"one of the best" and "good" are not the same. That's my point.

Which is a ridiculous point. "We're not good, it's just that every other team is terrible."

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Are you sure about that?

Let's check:

That's 14. Which two "losing teams" did I not count?

Again, 5-3 somehow becomes "effectively .500." Never mind that the rest of the NFL wins those games at a .225 clip.

Which is a ridiculous point. "We're not good, it's just that every other team is terrible."
8-7-1 Washington and Philly with their starters benched.

4-3 if you discount Philly, 4-4 if you include playoffs.

It's only ridiculous if you keep ignoring the fact that I said they aren't bad on the road and making up the fact that I said they aren't good.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
8-7-1 Washington and Philly with their starters benched.

Those are losing teams?

4-3 if you discount Philly, 4-4 if you include playoffs.

If we "discount Philly," does that mean we don't count Philly in 2016 as a loss?

It's only ridiculous if you keep ignoring the fact that I said they aren't bad on the road and making up the fact that I said they aren't good.

Making it up? Your FIRST SIX WORDS in this thread were "They're not good on the road."

Here it is --

They're not good on the road, they've just played crappy teams.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Making it up? Your FIRST SIX WORDS in this thread were "They're not good on the road."

Here it is --
Lol, woops.

They aren't good on the road, they aren't bad on the road. Their record is grossly inflated by the fact that they generally play bad teams. You can nitpick all you want.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Lol, woops.

They aren't good on the road, they aren't bad on the road. Their record is grossly inflated by the fact that they generally play bad teams. You can nitpick all you want.

OK, whatever. The point is that outside of the Patriots, nobody has been better on the road in recent years, no matter who the opponent is.