Twitter: Cowboys are considering switching Jaylon from MLBer to OLBer?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it all depends on LVEs neck,i have serious grave doubts he will even play again.
All reports are exactly the opposite of what you are saying.

The fact his replacement wasn't drafted last weekend should be a good tip.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jaylon to OLB is a smart move, he is not a mike.

Now LVE is a mike, if he is healthy.

Other option is Lee, we can put him at the mike and see how long he holds up.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Hey there guys, I am a long time lurker and a fan for over 55 years since the day Don Meredith showed up at our school when I was 6 and saw that helmet and double star jersey and it was all over, been through the "Next Years Champion" in the 60's, watched the 70's teams to champions, watched as the 80's rolled by only to remember the "catch" and the White fumble in that famous game. I watched with pride as we found our way back to the top of the NFL as the team of the 90's. Then watched as the tripletts got older and left one by one. I saw the Campo years and to me these very worse since we had no talent, no money and no head coach. Then we brought in the Tuna, he did a lot to bring talent to Dallas but was not impressed with his coaching. Went through the Garrett years in pain as I wanted Garrett out in 2015. I haven't missed Cowboy game since 1989 ( got married that one weekend). So you can say I have seen the best and the worst and I will go to the grave in a Cowboy jersey.

To see Jaylon moved to OLB is what I've been asking for ever since he changed from OLB to MLB last season for some stupid *** reason as he struggles going laterally and fighting with guys 100 lbs bigger than him, we didn't exactly give him help up front to take the guards from driving Jaylon back 5-6 yards, he made the tackles but often with a 7 yard gain by RB.

I look to see Wolfhunter back in the middle this season and I really think that getting Poe/Mccoy and changing the LB'S back to the original positions will help both of our young guys, I loved Smith's attitude while he worked hard to get back to the player in college but last year I had a hard time liking some of our players and Jaylon was probably the one I was irritated all season.

I do expect the defense to play well after some time together so we are going to need Team Forty Burger to help take the load of those first few games as the defense could potentially start 3 new guys on DL, 1 possible 2 CB'S and 1 safety so that's 1/2 the defense and going without mini camps and OTCS's will keep our defense from jelling early..

So in short, I'm very good with moving Smith outside, and lastly the Boys not taking a LB shows me the Wolf Hunter is further along as I hoped for, he's will be one of the key parts of defense this year.

Go Boys!!!

Very nice post -- welcome to CZ. I expect you'll like it here!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think we will be playing the Packers 3/4 defense but can Jaylon play the Clay Matthews linebacker position. I don’t ever remember Clay in pass coverage. I remember him rushing off the edge and from the inside. He was lined up all over the field. Jaylon is bigger and faster then Clay. I just don’t know if he is as versatile.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I don’t think we will be playing the Packers 3/4 defense but can Jaylon play the Clay Matthews linebacker position. I don’t ever remember Clay in pass coverage. I remember him rushing off the edge and from the inside. He was lined up all over the field. Jaylon is bigger and faster then Clay. I just don’t know if he is as versatile.

im worried we will see the 2014 Atlanta defense.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
im worried we will see the 2014 Atlanta defense.

They seem to have a plan with the defense. Big corners, cover safeties, 300lb+ DTs, multiple pass rushing ends, etc. I hate to say it the key to the defense will be the reinstatement of Aldon and Randy.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Anyone heard anything about this?????????

Unlike some here I don't fall for SPECULATION that people in the sports world continue to throw out. When and if the Cowboys make that switch and THEY announce it, then I'll believe it.

John813

Reaction score
One thing to think about when it comes to LVE and Smiths woes at taking on guards heads on is that we added some beef to the middle this offseason and it's a new DC/DL coach with a new technique for the DL. Rod's philosophy was stop the run on the way to the QB. I don't have a great grasp on what Tomsula wants his DL to do, but hopefully they act more as a shield for the LBs so they can use their athletics to get to the ball carrier without a guard in their face.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Anyone heard anything about this?????????

I also thought the Cowboys played Jaylon Smith out of position. He is a run and hit linebacker with strong blitz abilities. His game is about his speed, not taking on blockers, which he wants no part of. Certainly didn't help to play undersized DT's in front of him. I believe if they use Jaylon right, he could really have a strong come back season.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think the previous staff used the LBs wrong anyway. LVE should have been in the middle with Smith ouside.
Bingo. Lve should have always been the mike. Control the defense. Let jaylon rush the passer here and there

Endzoneview

Reaction score
Very nice post -- welcome to CZ. I expect you'll like it here!

Thanks Bullflop, I've been on a few boards over the years and actually used to write articles for a few fantasy leagues and was a poster on another board but followed my life's ambition and at 53 went back to school and got my Masters and that was end of that, I enjoy good conversation here but lacked the time to respond with thought out ideas and over the years I got a pretty good handle of the people here, but thanks and I will enjoy it

J-man

Reaction score
IMO, if they all can stay healthy, we'll all be pleased with our LB's this season. They're all very athletic and smart football players. I think that those big boys up front will make a huge (pardon the pun) difference for them. It's hard to make the tackle when a 300# OG is running straight at you.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
makes more sense given his skill set of speed & agility to be on the edge and his lack of brute strength to be in the middle
Agreed. I never thought MLB was the right fit. Not sure it is for LVE either, but I think he has a better build for it. He needs a different mindset though. Can't just avoid contact on the way to the ball carrier as a MLB or you will be taken out of plays.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey there guys, I am a long time lurker and a fan for over 55 years since the day Don Meredith showed up at our school when I was 6 and saw that helmet and double star jersey and it was all over, been through the "Next Years Champion" in the 60's, watched the 70's teams to champions, watched as the 80's rolled by only to remember the "catch" and the White fumble in that famous game. I watched with pride as we found our way back to the top of the NFL as the team of the 90's. Then watched as the tripletts got older and left one by one. I saw the Campo years and to me these very worse since we had no talent, no money and no head coach. Then we brought in the Tuna, he did a lot to bring talent to Dallas but was not impressed with his coaching. Went through the Garrett years in pain as I wanted Garrett out in 2015. I haven't missed Cowboy game since 1989 ( got married that one weekend). So you can say I have seen the best and the worst and I will go to the grave in a Cowboy jersey.

To see Jaylon moved to OLB is what I've been asking for ever since he changed from OLB to MLB last season for some stupid *** reason as he struggles going laterally and fighting with guys 100 lbs bigger than him, we didn't exactly give him help up front to take the guards from driving Jaylon back 5-6 yards, he made the tackles but often with a 7 yard gain by RB.

I look to see Wolfhunter back in the middle this season and I really think that getting Poe/Mccoy and changing the LB'S back to the original positions will help both of our young guys, I loved Smith's attitude while he worked hard to get back to the player in college but last year I had a hard time liking some of our players and Jaylon was probably the one I was irritated all season.

I do expect the defense to play well after some time together so we are going to need Team Forty Burger to help take the load of those first few games as the defense could potentially start 3 new guys on DL, 1 possible 2 CB'S and 1 safety so that's 1/2 the defense and going without mini camps and OTCS's will keep our defense from jelling early..

So in short, I'm very good with moving Smith outside, and lastly the Boys not taking a LB shows me the Wolf Hunter is further along as I hoped for, he's will be one of the key parts of defense this year.

Go Boys!!!

:welcome:

Excellent first post!
:thumbup: