Cowboys at the Crossroads

Dodger12

Reaction score
If it was only money then why would Jerry insist on maintaining the title of GM? Wouldn't he put all his energy into the marketing department?

This is why the belief that it is only about money has zero merit. It simply fails the logic test.

I started my post with the specific reason why this game is absolutely critical. If they lose this game the numbers will be profoundly against them going to the Super Bowl.

In fact, if the Cowboys lose in the same way they did against the Packers in 2010 it is concievable that Garrett will be gone.

If it wasn't money, why would he continue with a substandard coach? Why would he accept the results? That also fails the logic test. Jerry's comfortable. He gave you some insight into his psyche when he told you he was no longer walking on eggshells after BP left. He told you he hired BP to build his stadium. He sells you the same bill of goods year after year. He's a snake oil salesman and you folks buy his BS by the truck load. He loves you.

Garrett isn't going anywhere regardless of what happens today or the rest of the season. This game is a lot less critical than some end of the season games we've seen under Garrett where it was a win and in scenario. As long as the ratings are good and the bank account is full, nothing will change.

plasticman

Reaction score
In k9 kk
If it wasn't money, why would he continue with a substandard coach? Why would he accept the results? That also fails the logic test. Jerry's comfortable. He gave you some insight into his psyche when he told you he was no longer walking on eggshells after BP left. He told you he hired BP to build his stadium. He sells you the same bill of goods year after year. He's a snake oil salesman and you folks buy his BS by the truck load. He loves you.

Garrett isn't going anywhere regardless of what happens today or the rest of the season. This game is a lot less critical than some end of the season games we've seen under Garrett where it was a win and in scenario. As long as the ratings are good and the bank account is full, nothing will change.
He has been patient with Jason, he said he would be,Jason warned that it would take time to do this the right way.

Tom Landry didn't even begin to have winning seasons until his seventh season. They didn't win multiple playoff games in a season until his 11th. His playoff record was completely identical identical to Jason at that,point in his career that Jason is currently in.

Therefore, keeping Tom Landry also failed your logic test.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
This is a what have you done for me now league, red has been here going on 10 years and nothing to show for it. ENOUGH is ENOUGH. Not even 1 playoff win and 2016 we had home field thru out and could not get a win.

Dodger12

Reaction score
In k9 kk

He has been patient with Jason, he said he would be,Jason warned that it would take time to do this the right way.

Tom Landry didn't even begin to have winning seasons until his seventh season. They didn't win multiple playoff games in a season until his 11th. His playoff record was completely identical identical to Jason at that,point in his career that Jason is currently in.

Therefore, keeping Tom Landry also failed your logic test.

Yes, another fool who compares Landry to Garrett, a guy that took over a new franchise without the benefit of a draft vs a guy that inherited a franchise QB in a parity driven NFL. Here's a hint, take your logic test and throw it in the trash. It's as flawed as your reasoning.

plasticman

Reaction score
Yes, another fool who compares Landry to Garrett, a guy that took over a new franchise without the benefit of a draft vs a guy that inherited a franchise QB in a parity driven NFL. Here's a hint, take your logic test and throw it in the trash. It's as flawed as your reasoning.
Insulting a person just because he might disagree with you is childish and immature. It's probably the one issue that makes an otherwise enjoyable activity annoying and unpleasant for almost all posters.

I disagree with a great many posters and many disagree with me. However, we are all Cowboy fans and there is mutual respect among the vast majority of us. Because you respond so rudely, I suspect that you are either a minor or there is a deeper resentment associated with some past event. I don't care what it is.

I compared Tom Landry to Jason Garrett statistically. That's what stats are for, do you understand? I never expressed an opinion, the information I gave was factual, do you understand?

In no way did I compare Jason's accomplishments, contributions to the game, ability to innovate, and coaching ability to Landry's.. In wouldn't be fair if I did because Tom Landry's 29 year career as the Cowboy coach is in the history books and Garrett is still writing his. I'm sure you want to respond that it will never be as good but then you are the one expressing an opinion rather then stating facts.The fact that you are probably correct isn't the issue. The fact that, to be fair, there is still a possibility of success is the issue.Do you understand?

If,for example, the poster I was previously debating wanted Garrett fired as a result of his playoff record then I would rightly assume that he would have wanted Landry fired at the same juncture in his career because he and Garrett had the same playoff record. Otherwise, he would be a hypocrite.Do you understand?

And please don't analyze my logic or reasoning. That's not the insulting part. It's the pathetic part and I am embarrassed for you.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Insulting a person just because he might disagree with you is childish and immature. It's probably the one issue that makes an otherwise enjoyable activity annoying and unpleasant for almost all posters.

Comparing Garrett to Landry in any way is insulting in and of itself. The situations are different and any attempt to compare wins during their respective coaching tenure (ie: first seven years) is disingenuous. One coach took over an expansion team without the benefit of a draft and other didn't. Discussing and comparing the team's records of their first seven years under each coach is ludicrous. I won't even go any further and compare what the two had to deal with because it's common sense and not worth the key strokes.

I disagree with a great many posters and many disagree with me. However, we are all Cowboy fans and there is mutual respect among the vast majority of us. Because you respond so rudely, I suspect that you are either a minor or there is a deeper resentment associated with some past event. I don't care what it is.

I called you a fool. I understand that may be a harsh and over the top criticism in your eyes. I thought it was rather tame for such a flawed post. But, then again, I'm older and not as sensitive.

I compared Tom Landry to Jason Garrett statistically. That's what stats are for, do you understand? I never expressed an opinion, the information I gave was factual, do you understand?

Stats without context are meaningless. When you compare stats of coaches with two very different situations, it makes your stats meaningless. It's like saying QC was a better QB than Aikman because he won more games as a rookie. That is also a statistical fact but it doesn't make any conclusion based on those facts accurate. Do you understand?

In no way did I compare Jason's accomplishments, contributions to the game, ability to innovate, and coaching ability to Landry's..

But you did compare accomplishments. You compared winning seasons, wins, playoff wins and multiple playoff wins over a certain period of time, thus comparing the two. Your stats didn't take into account that one inherited an expansion team and the other inherited a franchise QB. Are we really discussing this?

If,for example, the poster I was previously debating wanted Garrett fired as a result of his playoff record then I would rightly assume that he would have wanted Landry fired at the same juncture in his career because he and Garrett had the same playoff record. Otherwise, he would be a hypocrite.Do you understand?

He wouldn't be a hypocrite. He'd be right. Again, to even compare playoff records of a HC that took over an expansion team to a HC who took over a team 1 year removed from a playoff win and a SB contender with a franchise QB in place is just plain silly.

And please don't analyze my logic or reasoning. That's not the insulting part. It's the pathetic part and I am embarrassed for you.

Don't be embarrassed for me. I didn't write your posts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

In no way did I compare Jason's accomplishments, contributions to the game, ability to innovate, and coaching ability to Landry's.. In wouldn't be fair if I did because Tom Landry's 29 year career as the Cowboy coach is in the history books and Garrett is still writing his. I'm sure you want to respond that it will never be as good but then you are the one expressing an opinion rather then stating facts.The fact that you are probably correct isn't the issue. The fact that, to be fair, there is still a possibility of success is the issue.Do you understand?

Don’t be deterred because of short sighted agendas because the stats don’t fit their narrative.

Regardless whether we want to compare Landry’s and Garrett’s early playoff records there are some similarities despite the different situations or scenarios.

And Landry was certainly criticized early for not having more success. I lived it, I know. When Murchison offered Tom the 10 year extension it was probably the most criticized move in the first 10 years of the Cowboys existence. Tom was criticized throughout his tenure despite his legendary status. And his lack of success in playoffs was one of them which labeled us “ next year’s champions “ because we couldn’t win the big game. It took Landry 12 years to shake off that label after winning SB VI.

And Tom still lost more championships than he won losing 3 Super Bowls and 2 NFL Titles. Tom took the Cowboys to 12 championship appearances and only came home with 2 Rings. His legend was always getting there not winning it.

I think Garrett opponents simply are disgusted with any comparisons to Landry. And I understand. But this early playoff record by the sheer numbers is a fair comparison at this time even though the situations aren’t comparable.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And for the record once Landry was appearing in playoff games in 1966 I’d argue he had much better teams than Garrett has had.

Unfortunately we lost to one of the greatest teams of all times with the Packers.

And both years we were upset by Browns in 68 and 69 playoffs in first round it brought so much criticism our 1st Ring of Honor QB retired.

1966-1969 were 4 very frustrating seasons for us with a 1-4 record in the playoffs. Fortunately we were on the cusp of more to come. But we didn’t know that yet. Hindsight is a wonderful asset.

Landry had built a championship caliber team from scratch but not without heartbreak which would unfortunately become more of the theme losing so many championships in his era despite the success he had.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Don’t be deterred because of short sighted agendas because the stats don’t fit their narrative.

Hey, you know who else had more wins than Landry in their first few years? Linehan and Marinelli. If only they were given more time.

Hey, how about Dave Campo? He had more wins in his 3 years than Landry did. A real Landry clone if I ever saw one, based on the stats, of course.

And Barry Switzer blows Landry away, statistically speaking, of course. Too bad Barry wasn't given more time for everything he accomplished here. He was a far superior coach based on the stats, as were Linehan and Marinelli. What could have been........