Cowboys awarded 4th, 2 5ths and 6th round comp picks

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The guy who runs that site, that predicts compensatory picks, claims he has yet to be wrong.

Oops.

What site is that? Over the cap? ....whoever runs that site...was pretty darn close this year for all the teams. He seems to get better @ this each year. :clap:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
What’s awful is the Nolan carrol signing dropped us in picks

Hated that signing the moment it was announced...:popcorn:

So we let Claiborne walk...and picked up that turd...and saved a million in the process....except Nolan didn't even last a few months and Mo...actually played pretty well for the Jets.:rolleyes:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Not so sure, while I'm not too thrilled by the picks, the good news is that it puts us in prime position to grab a WR by the name of Cedrick Wilson. You may have seen me post about him before, but here he is again in a highlight video:

He should be available around our 4 or 5 picks. Though, I'd imagine most likely 4th.

Like the player...but boy did he disappoint w/ his measurables. He was listed as 6'3 200 @ BSU...@ the Sr Bowl...6'1 and change...and was 194

waving monkey

Reaction score
That "above average" QB looked like real slop last season. I'm guessing if the team truly had above average QB play they'd have made the playoffs last season.

Brown is such a very nice 3rd corner that the team reduced his playing time at the end of the season. You do that with good players.

Frazier is a special teams ace. We'll see what else he has this year.

Rico might have something? What the heck does that mean? All picks might have something. This is desperation and it proves my point.

I see. You're living on the planet where Ryan Switzer was an All Pro returner. Greetings from Earth. I come in peace.
Greetings from Earth. I come in peace.......this apparently is not true at all. However it is quite funny

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Like the player...but boy did he disappoint w/ his measurables. He was listed as 6'3 200 @ BSU...@ the Sr Bowl...6'1 and change...and was 194

Well, I still like his measurables. Besides, he's a tallish player, and, from what I see, his speed is very good for a guy his size. I could see him as a deep threat for us which allows us to use Dez Bryant like the 49ers did with TO. Thus, allowing us to go to a run balanced-WCO. That is an offense that we used early in Dak's career, and it worked. Dak is a QB who benefits from the WCO, and Linehan is a coach that should be able to do it. TO didn't hinder the WCO in SFO, and neither should Dez.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Gotta make those 4th round selections count...do not trade them away Jerry!

There's gonna be tremendous value at those picks IMO.
Value to me is can the player start in the NFL. A player picked in the middle of the 1st round has, let’s say a 50-60% chance of starting in the NFL, while a player picked late in the 4th round only has, say a 5% chance of starting in the NFL. I say take all the late round picks 4-7 and try to trade up to get extra picks in the first 2-3 rounds. I would love for our draft choices to be something like this: 2 mid round 1st, 2 mid round 2nds, and a mid round 3rd. Heck with all the later round picks that seldom pan out any way.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The goobers at Blogging the Boys were actually suggesting we "could" get a 3rd for Leary. Oops.

I think Leary's injury toward the end of the season knocked down his pay a bit, maybe based on incentives and playing time. therefore knocking it from a 3rd to a 4th.

The comp picks are tied to compensation, and his contract should have put him possibly a 3rd pick range. So IF he had incentives and it could have knocked this down to a 4th. IF that is the way it really works.

I am pretty sure, in the past teams have lost players, that would have got them a 3rd or 4th round comp pick. But because that FA did not work out, or was injured and released the comp pick was never awarded.

not that I ever believed Leary was getting us a 3rd round pick, I always figured a 4th.
I never bought into the 2 4th's and 2 5th's either.
This is what I thought, 4, 5, 5, 6. Or if screwed as usual, 4, 5, 6, 6, or 4, 6, 6, 6

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What’s awful is the Nolan carrol signing dropped us in picks

But we cut him, so I don't think that counts. Unless he got a full years pay which I believe he was cut before the season started. Unless they changed the rules, this doesn't offset the picks.

Ken

Reaction score
That "above average" QB looked like real slop last season. I'm guessing if the team truly had above average QB play they'd have made the playoffs last season.
Even if we suspend reality and forget his pro bowl/rookie of the year in 16, his production last year is amazing for a 2nd year, 4th round q.b.

Keep up the delusion though.

Pants

Reaction score
not that I ever believed Leary was getting us a 3rd round pick, I always figured a 4th.
I never bought into the 2 4th's and 2 5th's either.
This is what I thought, 4, 5, 5, 6. Or if screwed as usual, 4, 5, 6, 6, or 4, 6, 6, 6

I read the bolded part out loud and just thought goodell..."to screw the cowboys goodell just goes For 666"

GOODELL IS THE DEVIL!
hes-the-devil.jpg

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Even if we suspend reality and forget his pro bowl/rookie of the year in 16, his production last year is amazing for a 2nd year, 4th round q.b.

Keep up the delusion though.

Say it louder for the people in the back!

Reactions: Ken

Bowdown27

Reaction score
But we cut him, so I don't think that counts. Unless he got a full years pay which I believe he was cut before the season started. Unless they changed the rules, this doesn't offset the picks.
I saw that it did affect it. We dropped to a fifth round pick because of the pick up.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Hated that signing the moment it was announced...:popcorn:

So we let Claiborne walk...and picked up that turd...and saved a million in the process....except Nolan didn't even last a few months and Mo...actually played pretty well for the Jets.:rolleyes:
Until he got hurt again.....he only played 60% of the snaps

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Please explain.
Carroll and Paea were erased from the equation because they didn't finish the season

But even if they counted they would not have erased a 5th or 6th round pick....they were 7th round guys and we lost plenty of them

We lost 10 qualifiers and signed 2 if you count Paea who retired...... the max Comp picks you can get is 4

According to last year they had 12- 3rd round comps but only 4 this year....... Church could have easily been a 4 and Claiborne a 5 but they gave out 12- 6th round comps this year instead

Silverstar

Reaction score
Value to me is can the player start in the NFL. A player picked in the middle of the 1st round has, let’s say a 50-60% chance of starting in the NFL, while a player picked late in the 4th round only has, say a 5% chance of starting in the NFL. I say take all the late round picks 4-7 and try to trade up to get extra picks in the first 2-3 rounds. I would love for our draft choices to be something like this: 2 mid round 1st, 2 mid round 2nds, and a mid round 3rd. Heck with all the later round picks that seldom pan out any way.

You do know, that Dak was a 4th round pick and Cliff Harris aka "Captain Crash" went undrafted even though it was 17 rounds back in 1970. Of all people, you should know there is value past the 3rd round of the draft.

Cole Beasley, Jeff Heath, David Irving, Keith Smith, Rod Smith, Blake Jarwin, Dan Bailey, Chris Jones and Ladouceur all went undrafted, not to mention La'el Collins. I expect 3rd day picks Switzer, Gathers, A. Brown, Tapper, Frazier, Woods, Swaim, N. Brown to all be contributors this coming season. I would mention Scandrick, Wilbur, Wilson, Hitchens and Hanna too, but not sure they will be back, especially with more young talent on the way.

Last edited: