Cowboys Begin Extension Talks With Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I agree with you. Out of all of these names for extensions, I think an extension for Jones has the least chance of happening. I thought so before, but now given his hip surgery and missed time, I don't think there's much chance at all of a bug contract for him.

Cornerback is much higher of a draft priority in my opinion than many might think.
I would not be surprised if we draft a corner in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Demarcus Lawrence got 21 million per year.

Let's assume Dak will be around 26 million a year, and Amari will be about 17 million a year. Both could be higher or lower.

That's approximately 64m$ a year, or 34% of the entire cap for 3 players. 1/3 of a cap responsible for 51 people on 3 guys. Is any other team even close to this? Is this a record for any team in the cap era?

Let's start with the facts: QB and DE are the two highest paid positions in football right now. Does anyone else have a player at both positions making top end (or nearly in dak's case) money? Seattle is closest, but Frank Clark is making franchise tag money currently, which is 4 million less than what Demarcus got per year. Bobby Wagner is the next highest paid player at just over 10 million a year, 7 million less than what Amari will potentially be making.

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Same here. It wouldn't shock me if we went safety and cornerback with our first two picks.
That's very possible as well. With free agency and the trade for Quinn i think we have set ourselves up nicely to go after whoever we want.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Demarcus Lawrence got 21 million per year.

Let's assume Dak will be around 26 million a year, and Amari will be about 17 million a year. Both could be higher or lower.

That's approximately 64m$ a year, or 34% of the entire cap for 3 players. 1/3 of a cap responsible for 51 people on 3 guys. Is any other team even close to this? Is this a record for any team in the cap era?

Let's start with the facts: QB and DE are the two highest paid positions in football right now. Does anyone else have a player at both positions making top end (or nearly in dak's case) money? Seattle is closest, but Frank Clark is making franchise tag money currently, which is 4 million less than what Demarcus got per year. Bobby Wagner is the next highest paid player at just over 10 million a year, 7 million less than what Amari will potentially be making.

It depends on what the Seahawks ultimately do with Clark. Wilson is currently counting for $25 million against the cap before his extension and Clark is getting $17 million. That's $42 million right there. The 2019 cap hit for Lawrence is just $11 million.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It depends on what the Seahawks ultimately do with Clark. Wilson is currently counting for $25 million against the cap before his extension and Clark is getting $17 million. That's $42 million right there. The 2019 cap hit for Lawrence is just $11 million.
Yeah these new contracts can be staggered and others redone. They have gurus to make this work. And the cap goes up every year like the market values.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Because a truly good, talented DT would have a much bigger impact on this defense than a corner and I believe there will be some good DTs available when we're picking.
If a bona-fide first round-talent at CB falls, then of course that would have to be a consideration, but we are *this close* to having a complete D-line which would mean an elite defense, IMO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because a truly good, talented DT would have a much bigger impact on this defense than a corner and I believe there will be some good DTs available when we're picking.
If a bona-fide first round-talent at CB falls, then of course that would have to be a consideration, but we are *this close* to having a complete D-line which would mean an elite defense, IMO.

Oh, I'm not locking into one at either of our two top picks, but I also won't be surprised if one ended up being a cornerback either. And I don't think it's wise for you to be locked in to defensive tackle either. I think you set yourself up to be disappointed doing that. It should always be about with the best player available and team needs aligning.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Oh, I'm not locking into one at either of our two top picks, but I also won't be surprised if one ended up being a cornerback either. And I don't think it's wise for you to be locked in to defensive tackle either. I think you set yourself up to be disappointed doing that. It should always be about with the best player available and team needs aligning.
Good thoughts as always. I hear ya. As far as BPA & need it seems like some of the good DTs have a chance to bee there at 58 and 90. I like that Saunders kid, personally. What do you think?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good thoughts as always. I hear ya. As far as BPA & need it seems like some of the good DTs have a chance to bee there at 58 and 90. I like that Saunders kid, personally. What do you think?

Khalen Saunders? Funny you would mention him, because I just mock drafted him in a Fanspeak mock this morning at #90.
:laugh:

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Khalen Saunders? Funny you would mention him, because I just mock drafted him in a Fanspeak mock this morning at #90.
:laugh:
Lol! What would ya think about Thornhill at 58 and Saunders at 90?
Seems like good players and pretty realistic, yes?
I gotta admit I haven't followed the draft as closely this year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Something tells me unless one of the DT that should have been taken top 10 falls to us in the bottom of the 2nd round, our first pick won’t be a DT. Maybe not even a safety. Our staff and FO don’t value that position.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol! What would ya think about Thornhill at 58 and Saunders at 90?
Seems like good players and pretty realistic, yes?
I gotta admit I haven't followed the draft as closely this year.

You're freaking me out! Those were exactly the two guys I picked!
:omg:

Taylor Rapp was still there at #58 but I went with Thornhill anyway because of his better measurables and versatility. But that's amazing that you would name those exact two names!

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
You're freaking me out! Those were exactly the two guys I picked!
:omg:

Taylor Rapp was still there at #58 but I went with Thornhill anyway because of his better measurables and versatility. But that's amazing that you would name those exact two names!
Well I've seen where people say that Thornhill has good instincts and coverage ability which we could really use.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Something tells me unless one of the DT that should have been taken top 10 falls to us in the bottom of the 2nd round, our first pick won’t be a DT. Maybe not even a safety. Our staff and FO don’t value that position.
Just because they haven’t drafted those positions high recently doesn’t mean that they don’t value those positions. They’ve been sticking to their board which is smart.