Cowboys Break 5/1 (Interesting Nugget On SS Donovan Wilson)

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
I assume he meant in terms of skill set and the like, because physically, there isn't much comparison. Wilson is 6-0, less than 200 and Chancellor was 6-3, 230 behemoth of a man back in 2010 when Seattle drafted him.
I don’t think height and weight is the same as traits..

DFWJC

Reaction score
They seemingly love to make comparisons.......... such as the Pollard - Kamara comparison laid on us earlier this week.
I think in both cases tney clarifyed “not so and so, but has some of those traits”

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
The CB forces the WR to commit inside/outside using the unique Kick-Step Press technique.

If the WR commits outside then the CB plays man. If the WR commits inside then the CB plays zone and drops back to cover the intermediate/deep sideline area.

Regardless, with either option the CB is basically covering the sideline area.

With the CBs covering the sideline area, the single-high Safety has less area to cover than in standard single-high coverages.

The players other than the CBs play zone in the KR base.

There is much more in this post than what is on the surface. If you take a look at assignments you will see the Cowboys CBs struggle much more on meeting their assignments in the first transition year to Kris Richards Kick-Step-Press technique.

Here's a quote from Anthony Brown,

"That's a huge change," said cornerback Anthony Brown. "Last year we didn't have a set technique, it was pretty much do as you please, whatever makes you comfortable. ....That's helping us be patient and it's really helping our feet. ..."

Last year was a transition year for the corners. The schemes, technique and identity of the defence is getting much more specific, and also much more disciplined.

Remember the reason why Ryan was jettisoned from the team? Think about what Garrett is showing his tendency towards.

"According sources inside the organization, internal reviews of Ryan weren't good; the Cowboys found that his schemes and philosophy at times were unsound. They also felt he was inconsistent in his attack, sometimes opting to blitz the house (thus giving up big plays) and others opting to rush only three (giving opposing QBs all afternoon to throw)."

"The Browns guys told him Eberfluss was a detail-oriented guy who functioned as "Rob Ryan's brain," suggesting that Ryan's attention to detail waned, and he needed a meticulous guy like Eberfluss to do all the detail work for him."

I don't believe the Cowboys were looking to get rid of Eberflus. Richards by all early reviews seems to be a details oriented guy. Garrett wants discipline and detail in his coaching staff.

The identity of the defence is 4-3. Quick penetration into the backfield and into the pocket with press man/zone coverage to disrupt the timing of the passing routes.

This is a upfront solution to defending. Ragging on the safety position is counter intuitive to the scheme. If everyone does their job the safety has a very small zone to protect. This gives him a higher probability in making a play on the man or the ball.

This is not a 4 second scheme defence. If it goes beyond three seconds where the QB is untouched or significantly altered, then this scheme is in serious trouble.

What would make this defence really take off is a healthy in his prime Sean Lee. Having an ace in the hole like Sean would give you a field general who could negate the QB.

LBs like LVE and Jaylon would negate a TE and RB with their physical talent, but who plays chess with the QB?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is much more in this post than what is on the surface. If you take a look at assignments you will see the Cowboys CBs struggle much more on meeting their assignments in the first transition year to Kris Richards Kick-Step-Press technique.

Here's a quote from Anthony Brown,

"That's a huge change," said cornerback Anthony Brown. "Last year we didn't have a set technique, it was pretty much do as you please, whatever makes you comfortable. ....That's helping us be patient and it's really helping our feet. ..."

Last year was a transition year for the corners. The schemes, technique and identity of the defence is getting much more specific, and also much more disciplined.

Remember the reason why Ryan was jettisoned from the team? Think about what Garrett is showing his tendency towards.

"According sources inside the organization, internal reviews of Ryan weren't good; the Cowboys found that his schemes and philosophy at times were unsound. They also felt he was inconsistent in his attack, sometimes opting to blitz the house (thus giving up big plays) and others opting to rush only three (giving opposing QBs all afternoon to throw)."

"The Browns guys told him Eberfluss was a detail-oriented guy who functioned as "Rob Ryan's brain," suggesting that Ryan's attention to detail waned, and he needed a meticulous guy like Eberfluss to do all the detail work for him."

I don't believe the Cowboys were looking to get rid of Eberflus. Richards by all early reviews seems to be a details oriented guy. Garrett wants discipline and detail in his coaching staff.

The identity of the defence is 4-3. Quick penetration into the backfield and into the pocket with press man/zone coverage to disrupt the timing of the passing routes.

This is a upfront solution to defending. Ragging on the safety position is counter intuitive to the scheme. If everyone does their job the safety has a very small zone to protect. This gives him a higher probability in making a play on the man or the ball.

This is not a 4 second scheme defence. If it goes beyond three seconds where the QB is untouched or significantly altered, then this scheme is in serious trouble.

What would make this defence really take off is a healthy in his prime Sean Lee. Having an ace in the hole like Sean would give you a field general who could negate the QB.

LBs like LVE and Jaylon would negate a TE and RB with their physical talent, but who plays chess with the QB?

Good post.

Rob Ryan
In addition to his questionable game-plans/scheme, part of Rob Ryan's issue is that he didn't always show up to work on time and Eberflus ran many meetings in his absence.

The success/failure of Ryan's defense was very dependent on how he called it during the game. His scheme was very dependent on him scheming match-ups.

Previous Secondary Coaches
Joe Baker was head secondary coach (2016-2017)
Jerome Henderson was head secondary coach (2012-2015)

The 2 DB coaches that departed in recent years didn't do a very good job, IMO.

They played Byron Jones at Safety. In 2017 Jones actually played as the box Safety most of the season with Heath as the deep Safety when they played single-high. Later in the season, they started pulling Jones out of the game when they expected run and replacing him with Frazier.

The way they played Brown in 2017 was terrible. They had him playing primarily outside leverage which means he requires help on in-breaking routes; however, the help was often very late or non-existent.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
It is name dropping in the hopes to impress the masses. To backpedal and say that it isn't is completely dishonest.

No, it's not name dropping to impress the masses. What happens is those who evaluate NFL players look around the NFL at good players, and say, "I need to find someone like that guy," whoever that guy might be. Then they look for college players who have traits that are similar to that guy.

To be really simple, here is an example: I have red hair. If someone says, I need to find a redhead like that guy, and then drafts a red head, no one is claiming that the guy they drafted is me, simply because they have red hair. But it was a "trait" they looked for.

When a scout or player personnel guy says, "this guy has some Kam Chancellor type traits," it simply means he has SOME traits that are similar. It doesn't mean he claiming the college guy is a clone of Kam Chancellor. But ALL scouts and personnel guys are going to look for young players who have "traits" of current or previous great players. The reason you look for those traits is because the great players have already proven that those traits are valuable.

If I say that a running back reminds me of the way Emmitt Smith cuts in the hole, it doesn't mean I'm claiming that the young guy is the reincarnation of Emmitt Smitth. Smith had much more than just an ability to make a cut in a hole. He had 1) incredible will power, 2) the ability to play through injuries, 3) long-term durability, 4) toughness, 5) a low center of gravity, 6) deceptive speed, 7) the ability to break tackles, 8) incredible balance, 9) uncommon vision, 10) great ball security AND the 11) ability to make good cuts in the hole, plus maybe a few more I haven't named. As a scout, I would look for RB's with those types of traits. And saying a young player has traits similar to Emmitt doesn't imply that the young guy is the same as Emmitt. It just means I think he has some traits that are comparable.

It is beyond tiresome for "superfans" to repeatedly admonish other fans and professionals for making comparisons to former or current great players, as if trying to find another great player is done in a vacuum, without any comparison to other players. Of course, scouts are looking for strong safety candidates with traits similar to Chancellor. And them saying that a young guy has similar traits is a good thing. It helps us understand why they like a guy - even if he never becomes the type of player that Chancellor was in his prime. It assists us in understanding their thinking. "Oh, the reason the Cowboys like him was because he has some similar things to a player on another team who was really, really good. I hope they're right, and that he can develop into a really good player too."

If the Cowboys DON'T think like that about the players they select, then they shouldn't be drafting them or signing them at all. The fact that it is currently just a HOPE that hasn't yet been realized doesn't mean they should shut up, and not share their rationale for taking a chance on the guy with us fans.

I despise the holier-than-thou atttitude of some fans who are so constantly critical. Doesn't being right all the time get old? I'll be honest. I wasn't impressed with the player the Cowboys picked at safety in the 6th round. But I am glad the Cowboys saw some things in him that I don't yet see, and I hope they're right. And if he has traits that remind a scout of another great player, all the better. Chancellor himself was a 5th round pick that people didn't think that highly of during the draft, just like I don't think highly of the Cowboys current draft pick. If Wilson can prove me wrong, like Chancellor did his doubters, I think that's AWESOME!

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Take a guess where LVE and Gallup were picked
Take a guess if Kamara and Chancellor were picked by the same team in the same draft

Yes, it's a stretch

What does that matter?

Dallas picked Zeke, Jaylon, Collins, Brown and of course Dak in the same draft.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Actually preferred Chancelor to ET. Dude was a hitter and one of the reasons the "legion of boom" really boomed

I think that payment for a completion on the Cowboys' side of play, is a real element coming to the table upon the carpet...

visionary

Reaction score
What does that matter?

Dallas picked Zeke, Jaylon, Collins, Brown and of course Dak in the same draft.

Errrrr.....
You are the one who brought up which rounds they were picked in
Now that argument is refuted so you're changing your tune
Just stop it

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Errrrr.....
You are the one who brought up which rounds they were picked in
Now that argument is refuted so you're changing your tune
Just stop it

I have zero idea what your original point was. Cowboys like both players, they think they have traits similar to Kamara and Kam. I trust Richard when he says he sees similar traits to his former safety.