Video: Cowboys Break - Broaddus and Jerry on Play Calling

Sydla

Reaction score
I will say this.. I doubt not letting Garrett be the playcaller was solely his decision.

If they are smart enough to draft the way they draft then surely they are smart enough to see that these coaches offer them nothing on Sunday.

I don't think the two are connected. There is an issue of loyalty and emotion in the coaching decisions IMO that doesn't show on draft day. The draft is kids they barely know, so there is no emotional attachment or loyalty there.

But Garrett? He's Jerry's link to the glory days of his ownership run. Jerry will do absolutely everything and anything to provide cover for Garrett.

HungryLion

Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff that pisses me off.

If Jerry really feels that way, the right thing to do is FIRE the head coach and put somebody else in place.

This is the kind of stuff that happens when he lets emotion and the fact he likes Jason, play a factor in his decisions.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Amen!!! Thank you, Mr. Jerry Jones!

I love that our owner is fighting to make our Offense more creative! This Offense has to get much more creative in order to catch up to the Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Colts, Seahawks and Patriots in the playoffs.
I agree but the owner shouldn't have to. The owner should fire the HC that doesn't want the same thing and bring one in that does. It's sad that the owner is telling the coaches don't listen to the HC and come to me if there is a problem.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ladies and Gentlemen: I present the real issue with the direction of the Dallas Cowboys. I read this earlier and just cringed. Darren Woodson said years ago that this open-door policyand undermining the coach was the real issue in Dallas. It’s pretty hard to look at dysfunction like this and say he’s not right.

Sydla

Reaction score
I haven't forgotten at all. People can change with time, especially when they feel they don't have much time left.

If Jerry truly changed............. they would have purged the entire staff.

But he's not changed. He's still in protection mode for Garrett and thinks that maybe he can salvage him by surrounding him with new coaches.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen: I present the real issue with the direction of the Dallas Cowboys. I read this earlier and just cringed. Darren Woodson said years ago that this open-door policyand undermining the coach was the real issue in Dallas. It’s pretty hard to look at dysfunction like this and say he’s not right.
This is likely very true. In most instances, this can be very destructive. Today, it seems it can be a good thing since I believe we all agree our Offense definitely has to get much more creative.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff that pisses me off.

If Jerry really feels that way, the right thing to do is FIRE the head coach and put somebody else in place.

This is the kind of stuff that happens when he lets emotion and the fact he likes Jason, play a factor in his decisions.
if that is truly the way he feels then fire the head coach and move on

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If Jerry truly changed............. they would have purged the entire staff.

But he's not changed. He's still in protection mode for Garrett and thinks that maybe he can salvage him by surrounding him with new coaches.
Very likely so over the years. But by Jerry refusing to even consider talking to Garrett about an extension, it might be a sign of him telling Garrett this is his last chance to accomplish something with this team?

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Garrett’s on the hot seat alright. I knew the FO wasn’t happy after the LA game,but this is Jerry saying I’m done with Garrett’s bullcrap offense and time for someone else to take a shot at it. Far too late,but good news.

yep... after reading on how Jj went all "exit stage right" after the butt whupping in LA, I have to agree. All reports were he was in the upper echelon's of pissed off. Clapping carrot may be a lot of things, but he has for the last 8 seasons shown, he cannot get his team game ready, watching them in the most critical games, it was as if clap had made them all put weights in the shoes for "training" purpose's.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
why didn't they just go ahead and fire the head coach if this is true he has no power like I said for garrett to keep his job he will have to do something he has never done make the playoffs two years in a row and then win more than one playoff game this is just another wasted year in the next two years lots of this team will be taken apart by free agency you cant sign them all

One reason might be that there is no replacement available right now that JJ feels good about. Some are convinced that JJ is after Peyton, others feel it might be a college coach. Either way, keeping Garrett one more season provides time to let those options emerge. It also provides a season to see how Moore does at OC, and Richard does at DC, or whatever, etc.

Little Jr

Reaction score
That's Garrett's fault for sticking with Linehan this time last year. Garrett stood up for Linehan, Linehan didn't come through, now Garrett is rightfully on the hot seat while being forced to carry a rookie inexperienced new playcaller. I don't feel sorry for Garrett.
From all reported jg didn't want to keep Linehan. Even if that's not true, how much say does he have in who his oc is if the owner hand picked his new one and told him to come to him if he had problems?

Once again, I don't want jg to have any control over the offense but I also don't like the fact our owner is cutting off the hc testicles. If the owner doesn't want the HC to have any say then he needs to get a new HC which I think is also a good idea. He did it in 2013 by stripping play calling from him, then again in 2014 by hiring a new OC. At least then he had say in who it was and got to keep his playbook. Now he has no say and is gettting his play book taking away. Again, I love that but it's just not a good look and I question what exactly is jg doing now?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I see a lot folks are of the opinion that Jerry shouldn't have said this. Normally, I'd agree, but look at what happened last season when Jerry lit a fire under Garrett's butt. Maybe he's doing that again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If/when Garrett is let go the line of coaches waiting to interview for this job will consist of a cactus and a tumbleweed. Garrett may or may not be a good coach but Jerry sure isn't doing him any favors either way.

Sydla

Reaction score
Very likely so over the years. But by Jerry refusing to even consider talking to Garrett about an extension, it might be a sign of him telling Garrett this is his last chance to accomplish something with this team?

Except he did the same thing with Garrett in 2014. Garrett originally signed a 4 year contract that took him through the 2014 season. Garrett coached 2014 on the last year of his deal and didn't get a new one until 2015.

So Jerry letting Garrett coach out the season on the last year of his deal isn't unique.

But I do agree that this could be the swan song for Garrett. If they don't do anything in 2019, he's likely gone.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Of course he is right. When you hire puppets like Garrett then Jerry will play this game.

It always been a problem.

If Garrett had actually won something then maybe he could tell Garrett to shut up but Jerry has given him every resource imaginable and Garrett does nothing with it so of course Jerry is going to get involved because the coach has the perception from the fans, media, and some players that he is not good at scheming.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So this is a public statement. Why? It didn't need to be. JJ could've pulled them both in his office and said this privately.

IMO, Jerry has two reasons for saying this publicly:

1) He's Jerry, the attention *****.
2) He wants the fans to feel some sense of satisfaction that things will be different.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So this is a public statement. Why? It didn't need to be. JJ could've pulled them both in his office and said this privately.

IMO, Jerry has two reasons for saying this publicly:

1) He's Jerry, the attention *****.
2) He wants the fans to feel some sense of satisfaction that things will be different.

Because JJ has nothing to sell the fan base.

He did the same thing a year ago with Linehan and many bought it so of course he's going to come back and try to sell it again.