Video: Cowboys Break - Broaddus and Jerry on Play Calling

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by buybuydandavis, Feb 7, 2019.

1. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

6,071 Messages
    3,037 Likes Received
    talk about getting neutered twice

cowboyblue22 likes this.
  2. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

36,188 Messages
    51,484 Likes Received
    I don't think the two are connected. There is an issue of loyalty and emotion in the coaching decisions IMO that doesn't show on draft day. The draft is kids they barely know, so there is no emotional attachment or loyalty there.

But Garrett? He's Jerry's link to the glory days of his ownership run. Jerry will do absolutely everything and anything to provide cover for Garrett.

DakPresgoat likes this.
  3. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

9,077 Messages
    18,808 Likes Received
    This is the kind of stuff that pisses me off.

If Jerry really feels that way, the right thing to do is FIRE the head coach and put somebody else in place.

This is the kind of stuff that happens when he lets emotion and the fact he likes Jason, play a factor in his decisions.

408Cowboy, cowboyblue22 and Idgit like this.
  4. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

4,626 Messages
    2,074 Likes Received
    I agree but the owner shouldn't have to. The owner should fire the HC that doesn't want the same thing and bring one in that does. It's sad that the owner is telling the coaches don't listen to the HC and come to me if there is a problem.

Portnoy1, Iago33 and America's Cowboy like this.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

56,292 Messages
    55,874 Likes Received
    Ladies and Gentlemen: I present the real issue with the direction of the Dallas Cowboys. I read this earlier and just cringed. Darren Woodson said years ago that this open-door policyand undermining the coach was the real issue in Dallas. It’s pretty hard to look at dysfunction like this and say he’s not right.

Corso, Iago33, DeathMonkey and 2 others like this.
  6. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Well-Known Member

7,107 Messages
    10,409 Likes Received
    I haven't forgotten at all. People can change with time, especially when they feel they don't have much time left.

7. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

36,188 Messages
    51,484 Likes Received
    If Jerry truly changed............. they would have purged the entire staff.

But he's not changed. He's still in protection mode for Garrett and thinks that maybe he can salvage him by surrounding him with new coaches.

cowboyblue22 likes this.
  8. America's Cowboy

7,107 Messages
    10,409 Likes Received
    This is likely very true. In most instances, this can be very destructive. Today, it seems it can be a good thing since I believe we all agree our Offense definitely has to get much more creative.

9. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Well-Known Member

7,033 Messages
    5,840 Likes Received
    if that is truly the way he feels then fire the head coach and move on

DakPresgoat likes this.
  10. America's Cowboy

7,107 Messages
    10,409 Likes Received
    Very likely so over the years. But by Jerry refusing to even consider talking to Garrett about an extension, it might be a sign of him telling Garrett this is his last chance to accomplish something with this team?

silvrNblue likes this.
  11. silvrNblue

silvrNblue Well-Known Member

1,533 Messages
    1,143 Likes Received
    yep... after reading on how Jj went all "exit stage right" after the butt whupping in LA, I have to agree. All reports were he was in the upper echelon's of pissed off. Clapping carrot may be a lot of things, but he has for the last 8 seasons shown, he cannot get his team game ready, watching them in the most critical games, it was as if clap had made them all put weights in the shoes for "training" purpose's.

12. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Active Member

116 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    One reason might be that there is no replacement available right now that JJ feels good about. Some are convinced that JJ is after Peyton, others feel it might be a college coach. Either way, keeping Garrett one more season provides time to let those options emerge. It also provides a season to see how Moore does at OC, and Richard does at DC, or whatever, etc.

America's Cowboy likes this.
  13. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

4,626 Messages
    2,074 Likes Received
    From all reported jg didn't want to keep Linehan. Even if that's not true, how much say does he have in who his oc is if the owner hand picked his new one and told him to come to him if he had problems?

Once again, I don't want jg to have any control over the offense but I also don't like the fact our owner is cutting off the hc testicles. If the owner doesn't want the HC to have any say then he needs to get a new HC which I think is also a good idea. He did it in 2013 by stripping play calling from him, then again in 2014 by hiring a new OC. At least then he had say in who it was and got to keep his playbook. Now he has no say and is gettting his play book taking away. Again, I love that but it's just not a good look and I question what exactly is jg doing now?

14. Runwildboys

Runwildboys Well-Known Member

17,090 Messages
    32,845 Likes Received
    I see a lot folks are of the opinion that Jerry shouldn't have said this. Normally, I'd agree, but look at what happened last season when Jerry lit a fire under Garrett's butt. Maybe he's doing that again.

JohnBoy likes this.
  15. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

55,291 Messages
    55,657 Likes Received

16. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

36,188 Messages
    51,484 Likes Received
    Except he did the same thing with Garrett in 2014. Garrett originally signed a 4 year contract that took him through the 2014 season. Garrett coached 2014 on the last year of his deal and didn't get a new one until 2015.

So Jerry letting Garrett coach out the season on the last year of his deal isn't unique.

But I do agree that this could be the swan song for Garrett. If they don't do anything in 2019, he's likely gone.

America's Cowboy likes this.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

47,182 Messages
    38,355 Likes Received
    Of course he is right. When you hire puppets like Garrett then Jerry will play this game.

It always been a problem.

If Garrett had actually won something then maybe he could tell Garrett to shut up but Jerry has given him every resource imaginable and Garrett does nothing with it so of course Jerry is going to get involved because the coach has the perception from the fans, media, and some players that he is not good at scheming.

Chocolate Lab and dreghorn2 like this.
  18. slick325

slick325 Well-Known Member

5,676 Messages
    3,959 Likes Received
    Jerry, Jerry, Jerry...smh.

19. Runwildboys

Runwildboys Well-Known Member

17,090 Messages
    32,845 Likes Received
    So this is a public statement. Why? It didn't need to be. JJ could've pulled them both in his office and said this privately.

IMO, Jerry has two reasons for saying this publicly:

1) He's Jerry, the attention whore.
    2) He wants the fans to feel some sense of satisfaction that things will be different.

20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

47,182 Messages
    38,355 Likes Received

Because JJ has nothing to sell the fan base.

He did the same thing a year ago with Linehan and many bought it so of course he's going to come back and try to sell it again.

Chocolate Lab and 408Cowboy like this.