Video: Cowboys Break - Broaddus and Jerry on Play Calling

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're saying that, if Jason won in the way, say, Jimmy Johnson did, he could tell Jerry to shut up and Jerry would listen? Interesting idea. Not sure I agree with it, but it's an interesting idea.

It's not accurate to say JG has done nothing, btw. He hasn't done enough, but he's had some accomplishments. I'd argue the things in the way of taking the next step have more to do with the organization than the coach, but I know you disagree.
Too many have addressed the organization for this not to be the root of the problem. Any strong willed HC is going to upset the organization. The first requirement is the ability to co-exist with the owner and/or GM. That's pretty much with every team as we saw with Miami but with the Cowboys, it is the most unusual.

I do not underestimate the effect of what has transpired, since the season ended, on the desire of coaching candidates to become the DC HC and Booger is supposed to like Garrett. At least he waited until Parcells was gone and he was drunk to trash him. I have never seen any owner/GM/AD publicly embarrass his coach like that.

Tell ya one thing, if the money is even and I am a FA, I am avoiding this cluster because I have a feeling this is going to just get worse.

817Gill

Reaction score
It is a circus and this is why we'll never win another SB with Jerry as GM.

If he's telling the OC to bypass the HC and go directly to him, then what's the point of having a HC?

Equally, when eventually Jerry looks for a new HC, what HC worth his salt is going to take the job if he knows Jerry will usurp his authority at the drop of a hat?
Drop of a hat? It’s been 9 years what do you mean. We all want Jerry to make the necessary coaching moves to make the O more creative, he literally emphasizes it and says he’ll stop JG from holding it back, and we get mad? Makes 0 sense

817Gill

Reaction score
If that's the case he should have fired Garrett but he hasn't.
Which just shows Jerry is a poor GM.
You either have confidence in the HC and let him get on with the job or get rid!
This offseason might have been one of the worst coaching markets in recent history. Who did you want, John DeFilippo? Matt Lafluer? Mike Mccarthy?

None of the available HC’s provided a clear upgrade over Garrett, so you obviously let him play out the last year of his deal while not wasting your talent by employing the same exact scheme we’ve had the past 3 years, hence Kellen Moore.

This has been played pretty well by the FO. Don’t be fooled by the name JJ’s handling this correctly.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too many have addressed the organization for this not to be the root of the problem. Any strong willed HC is going to upset the organization. The first requirement is the ability to co-exist with the owner and/or GM. That's pretty much with every team as we saw with Miami but with the Cowboys, it is the most unusual.

I do not underestimate the effect of what has transpired, since the season ended, on the desire of coaching candidates to become the DC HC and Booger is supposed to like Garrett. At least he waited until Parcells was gone and he was drunk to trash him. I have never seen any owner/GM/AD publicly embarrass his coach like that.

Tell ya one thing, if the money is even and I am a FA, I am avoiding this cluster because I have a feeling this is going to just get worse.

Jerry does a lot right as an owner, but be fair to him, but his open-door policy with the players and the way he publicly throws his coaches under the bus is a huge liability. It's maddening to watch it happen, too.

I think there are a lot of players who'd be ok coming here because he pays well and takes care of his guys. The list of coaches with other good options who'd want to work under Jerry is probably a lot shorter. Now, there will still be guys who'd jump at the job, but there's no doubt Jerry makes things a lot more difficult than they need to be.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Drop of a hat? It’s been 9 years what do you mean. We all want Jerry to make the necessary coaching moves to make the O more creative, he literally emphasizes it and says he’ll stop JG from holding it back, and we get mad? Makes 0 sense
How does undermining the HC make the coaching better?
If you don't like what your HCs doing you fire him, not go to one of his subordinates and say "come to me if you don't get what you want".
One of the many reasons we've only won 4 playoff games in 23 years under Jerry.
Again no HC worth his salt would work for Jerry.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
This offseason might have been one of the worst coaching markets in recent history. Who did you want, John DeFilippo? Matt Lafluer? Mike Mccarthy?

None of the available HC’s provided a clear upgrade over Garrett, so you obviously let him play out the last year of his deal while not wasting your talent by employing the same exact scheme we’ve had the past 3 years, hence Kellen Moore.

This has been played pretty well by the FO. Don’t be fooled by the name JJ’s handling this correctly.
So we have a lame duck HC waiting for the chop and Kellen Moore will save the day?
Tell me what great HC will come here next year?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know what makes 0 sense? The guy with 0 experience coordinating a NFL offense to openly tell the guy with 0 experience coordinating a NFL offense to bypass the guy, supposedly his boss, with the experience coordinating a NFL offense and has had top 5 O's in the past, so was he holding those back? Garrett has had the top rusher in 3 of the last 5 years, that doesn't look like holding back to me? So, in all of his vast experience with NFL coaching, how in the hell is Booger going to fix anything?

Is Garrett holding the offense back? Was he holding Linehan back? Why?

Of course, there could be another explanation because Garrett with another QB1 was far more aggressive as was Linehan in DET. Might there be some other issues on the offense besides conservative coaching?

And let's look at this from the new OC's viewpoint. He's just been told, publicly, that he has an open path to the GM over the HC. So, what happens if the offense isn't improved? Is it the new OC's fault or his fault for not going to the GM, who is going to do exactly what to fix it? This is a terrible position to put a first time OC in, not to mention the players on the offense. Why is Beasley wasting time tweeting about his targets, go to Booger.

One thing that must be considered with any OC on this team, the QB. They see him make all the throws, yet they try to keep the passing within control and run the ball, why? Are they poor judges of QB's? Maybe with this QB, they adhere to the Darrell Royal philosophy of passing, three things can happen and two are bad.

I don't know but I am not laying all of this at the feet of coaching and I am not a Garrett fan. These people are trying to be successful, they are not trying to hold anybody back. Maybe they're trying to keep them out of trouble?

CapnCook

Reaction score
Undermining the head coach by telling his subordinates to bypass the coach. I'm not mad if this helps us win but boy 2019 is already taking shape
Yes, the chances for success have really been propped up, haven't they? Sheesh.

CapnCook

Reaction score
So we have a lame duck HC waiting for the chop and Kellen Moore will save the day?
Tell me what great HC will come here next year?
I think either of the Ryan's lack the self esteem needed to work under Jerry.

erod

Reaction score
So mutiny is fine with Jerry.

Man, what head coach wouldn't want to be here?

Dre11

Reaction score
That's Garrett's fault for sticking with Linehan this time last year. Garrett stood up for Linehan, Linehan didn't come through, now Garrett is rightfully on the hot seat while being forced to carry a rookie inexperienced new playcaller. I don't feel sorry for Garrett.

He wanted to fire him last season

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So mutiny is fine with Jerry.

Man, what head coach wouldn't want to be here?
Absolutely but the best part is if Moore were to come running to him, what would he do? Spank Garrett? Give him a time out? Ground him from technology (my son's fav for my grandkids)?

There is a simple solution. Fire Garrett and appoint himself Interim HC, all coaches report to the one that can really fire them. He can install a large t shirt cannon in the suite, because I don't think they allow drinking on the sideline, and shoot big red flags down to the field for challenges and when he's upset with the refs, point to the Boogertron, have them put the camera on him, full face only, and yell at the refs. That would be scary as hell, those underage might be scarred for life. And underage is <90.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Could it be that the main reason that Garrett is still the HC is because Booger would have to pay him anyway not to coach? Then, he would have to pay another coach on top of that and anyone who thinks just because he's a rich man, 6M doesn't matter hasn't spent any time around the really rich. You would be very surprised what really matters to them.

What other owner or GM have you ever heard publicly undermine his HC like this? This after making him crawfish on the Linehan statement. I am beginning to think I was way off base on Garrett being family. Hell, why openly emasculate your HC? Who in the hell does this? No one except this flaming awesome person.

And that comment about the talent? That's all ego and blame deflection, not my fault.
This is the reason and it's also the reason why he went cheap with Kellen Moore

visionary

Reaction score
Interesting factoid from Broaddus on The Break today. Supposedly Garrett had wanted to call the plays next year, and the front office said No. Seems to imply that Moore will be given some rope.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/cowboys-break-can-dak-win-a-title

That's consistent with some recent babbling from Jerry saying that if Moore gets any pushback from what he wants to do, he should let Jerry know and Jerry will straighten people out. Jerry says he wants innovation.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...ett-status-message-to-Kellen-Moore-128676192/
"I've said this to [Moore]: I want those new ideas," Jones said with a smile. "I want them fought for until the glass breaks. Squeal. Holler. If they're not being implemented, call me, but let's get in here and do the kinds of things we do to get the most out of a very talented roster.​

The OC going to the owner behind the back of the HC

An incompetent HC

A juvenile, learning-on-the-job OC

And we wonder why we are mired in mediocrity

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The OC going to the owner behind the back of the HC

An incompetent HC

A juvenile, learning-on-the-job OC

And we wonder why we are mired in mediocrity
Not exactly behind the back of the HC, it's pretty much out in the open. If Garrett does something Moore doesn't like, he's going to tell Garrett "I'm going to tell Booger on you". "Uncle Booger, make Jason stop looking at me".

Jeez, just when I thought I'd already heard the dumbest thing to come out of that clown's mouth.

I am not a Garrett fan but I've got to wonder if he wouldn't just be happy to get the hell out of that mess. Every HC gets the support of his owner until the day he doesn't. Garrett doesn't seem to be getting that after Booger said he'd have a HC offers from 5 teams, he seems to be openly turning on him. If this new offense doesn't cut it, it's Garrett holding it back? Could it possibly be that the OC is on a learning curve?

Hell, they've sold Moore as the guy that got Hawking's brain when he died so couldn't be that there could be some smarter DC's in the NFL?

Dre11

Reaction score
But why didn't he? Was he talked out of it? Linehan have pics of him at the petting zoo?

IIRC, I think it was said during the Sex release, Stephen backed Linenhan, and he was gaining power from the front office.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Without a doubt there is disfunctionality, but with very few exceptions players seem to like playing for both Jerry and Garrett.