Video: Cowboys Break - Broaddus and Jerry on Play Calling

Plumfool

Reaction score
Things are so simple. Jones likes JG the head coach, and there’s an argument why he should, but Jones doesn’t like JG the OC.

Last few years, both from players and the media, the noise about the simplistic offense has grown to a deafening roar. Garrett, I suspect, continued to tell Jones to be patient. And Jones acquiescenced.

This time I believe Stephen finally spoke up and said that the offense wasn’t working and something had to be done. Jones’ remarks are basically saying KM is the OC so we (the organization) need to respect that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Without a doubt there is disfunctionality, but with very few exceptions players seem to like playing for both Jerry and Garrett.
Not so sure that is going to last, if Booger doesn't back off. That fiasco they created with the fractured locker room and reliable source drama had a bunch of football players wanting to run for cover.

Can't go by what players say, they're getting paid to be on board......while they are on board. The problem is what he says is left open to interpretation and it's better just to lay back. Don't you think there are a bunch of offensive players wondering what's going on with their coaching staff after a comment like that? Or they can chalk that up to Booger's usual "hey there's a mic, I must talk" crap.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Interesting factoid from Broaddus on The Break today. Supposedly Garrett had wanted to call the plays next year, and the front office said No. Seems to imply that Moore will be given some rope.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/cowboys-break-can-dak-win-a-title

That's consistent with some recent babbling from Jerry saying that if Moore gets any pushback from what he wants to do, he should let Jerry know and Jerry will straighten people out. Jerry says he wants innovation.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...ett-status-message-to-Kellen-Moore-128676192/
"I've said this to [Moore]: I want those new ideas," Jones said with a smile. "I want them fought for until the glass breaks. Squeal. Holler. If they're not being implemented, call me, but let's get in here and do the kinds of things we do to get the most out of a very talented roster.​
So yeah, Jerry Jones is just a figurehead.

Ignore the man behind the curtain.

Garrett might as well pack his bags now. He has no loyalty on his staff.

Fitting end considering how he got this job in the first place.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not so sure that is going to last, if Booger doesn't back off. That fiasco they created with the fractured locker room and reliable source drama had a bunch of football players wanting to run for cover.

Can't go by what players say, they're getting paid to be on board......while they are on board. The problem is what he says is left open to interpretation and it's better just to lay back. Don't you think there are a bunch of offensive players wondering what's going on with their coaching staff after a comment like that? Or they can chalk that up to Booger's usual "hey there's a mic, I must talk" crap.

It was a very odd comment, no doubt. I just don't know how to take it. It's hard to believe Jerry meant to publically suggest Moore can go over Garrett's head if he doesn't get his way, so I wonder if Jerry just stuck his foot in his mouth and it came out differently than he intended. I saw an interview with him recently at the Senior Bowl where he seemed pretty addled trying to answer questions, so maybe the man is losing it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apparently Jerry still thinks he has a chance to be a good coach, although that confidence seems to be waning.
He's on the ledger for 6M in 2019 and I do think that's a large part of this. Booger will pay players not to play because that happens to all teams and is part of what they must spend but paying coaches not to coach is not in his wheelhouse.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a very odd comment, no doubt. I just don't know how to take it. It's hard to believe Jerry meant to publically suggest Moore can go over Garrett's head if he doesn't get his way, so I wonder if Jerry just stuck his foot in his mouth and it came out differently than he intended. I saw an interview with him recently at the Senior Bowl where he seemed pretty addled trying to answer questions, so maybe the man is losing it.
What I think is that he thought he was demonstrating to the fans that he acknowledges the offensive problems and at the same time wants to send a vote of confidence for his new OC and it is HIS new OC.

I would hope that the man wouldn't in one week state Garrett would have 5 HC offers and the next say his new, brand spanking new inexperienced, OC was welcome to circumvent the chain of command if he wasn't getting cooperation from the HC.

If there ever was a better example of why HC's should hire their own staff and be left alone to sink or swim, I don't know of it. Booger, maybe unintentionally, has made it clear Moore is his guy, not Garrett's. I also don't know of a better example of why owners and GM's should stay the hell off interview shows. If you don't talk, you don't have to splain nuthin'.

nobody

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present the true GM of the Cowboys:

johnnie-walker-blue-label-scotch.jpg

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I think is that he thought he was demonstrating to the fans that he acknowledges the offensive problems and at the same time wants to send a vote of confidence for his new OC and it is HIS new OC.

I would hope that the man wouldn't in one week state Garrett would have 5 HC offers and the next say his new, brand spanking new inexperienced, OC was welcome to circumvent the chain of command if he wasn't getting cooperation from the HC.

If there ever was a better example of why HC's should hire their own staff and be left alone to sink or swim, I don't know of it. Booger, maybe unintentionally, has made it clear Moore is his guy, not Garrett's. I also don't know of a better example of why owners and GM's should stay the hell off interview shows. If you don't talk, you don't have to splain nuthin'.
I imagine you are right about what he was trying to do. I suspect in his zeal to demonstrate what you suggest he fumbled the words. Badly.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Garrett’s on the hot seat alright. I knew the FO wasn’t happy after the LA game,but this is Jerry saying I’m done with Garrett’s bullcrap offense and time for someone else to take a shot at it. Far too late,but good news.

I agree, good news. But has nothing to do with the Rams’ game. The defense lost us that one.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Don't expect any big FA signings and don't expect a Dak extension.

I expect an extension for Dak, or he holds out. If I'm his agent, I tell him to hold out on his current contract. The next contract is too big, and the current too small, to take the injury risk of not seeing that next contract.

I think a year extension, at franchise price, with half of that coming this year, is a win win.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't want Garrett as a coordinator, OC or DC. That's totally reasonable.

If Jerry wants his coordinators to design and call their sides of the ball, that's reasonable too.

The HC is the one who should manage the game, and that should will impact on both sides of the ball. But that should be more clock/possession management than scheme or plays.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
I don't think that Jerry would usurp the authority of a proven coach. I just think that he's at his wit's end with Garrett coming up short and frustrating him. He gave both Garrett and Linehan even more influence and authority last season, when myself and many others believed he should have fired them both then.

And what he got for it were poor decisions and worse results. And then he had to go out and mortgage his 2019 1st round pick for Cooper to save the season, and Garrett's job by extension. Jerry knows he's built a quality roster, and now he's frustrated that Garrett still can't do much of anything with it.

He truly wants Garrett to succeed, but I think even Garrett's biggest supporter has reached the end of his patience

This is it.

One of the worst decisions was wide receiver by committee.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I agree, good news. But has nothing to do with the Rams’ game. The defense lost us that one.
I’m not talking about the Rams game. I’m talking about his post game interview. That’s all anyone needed to listen to. It’s playing out the way I heard it. But as to the offense not being a problem in LA? Yes it was. Any Dak runs called to change the coverage? Nope. Jerry loves his QB,and he wasn’t liking that. Linehan should have just packed his bags right there.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
yep... after reading on how Jj went all "exit stage right" after the butt whupping in LA, I have to agree. All reports were he was in the upper echelon's of pissed off. Clapping carrot may be a lot of things, but he has for the last 8 seasons shown, he cannot get his team game ready, watching them in the most critical games, it was as if clap had made them all put weights in the shoes for "training" purpose's.
That’s right. It was all in Stephens post game tone. That was the first time I heard that tone after a playoff loss. They’re done with business as is. They expected a divisional playoff win,and it was a hard line expectation obviously.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Amen!!! Thank you, Mr. Jerry Jones!

I love that our owner is fighting to make our Offense more creative! This Offense has to get much more creative in order to catch up to the Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Colts, Seahawks and Patriots in the playoffs.

I love how some people find a way to put a positive spin on Jerry's decisions, to the point of thanking him, despite him delivering nothing in over 20 years.

It seems to be a form of Stockholm Syndrome. Fans feel trapped by their loyalty and know the Joneses aren't going anywhere, so they embrace them.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Interesting factoid from Broaddus on The Break today. Supposedly Garrett had wanted to call the plays next year, and the front office said No. Seems to imply that Moore will be given some rope.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/cowboys-break-can-dak-win-a-title

That's consistent with some recent babbling from Jerry saying that if Moore gets any pushback from what he wants to do, he should let Jerry know and Jerry will straighten people out. Jerry says he wants innovation.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...ett-status-message-to-Kellen-Moore-128676192/
"I've said this to [Moore]: I want those new ideas," Jones said with a smile. "I want them fought for until the glass breaks. Squeal. Holler. If they're not being implemented, call me, but let's get in here and do the kinds of things we do to get the most out of a very talented roster.​

This is just a reminder of the dysfunction within the Dallas Cowboys. People who think proven NFL head coaches are lining up to be the next guy working under old Jerry's thumb are kidding themselves. Rather than fire the HC he obviously has lost faith in, Jerry chooses to micromanage in the desperate attempt to prove he made the right choice. Another example of being the reason the Cowboys win is more important to JJ than winning any other way.

It's kind of pathetic that a man so successful in business needs to feed his ego at the expense of his team. Strange, really. JJ shouldn't believe he has anything left to prove in life but he continues to act as though he feels otherwise. I'm not holding my breath that his latest decisions will lead to any more success than all of the others he's made the last 20+ years because he refuses to address the root of the problem...himself.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present the true GM of the Cowboys:

johnnie-walker-blue-label-scotch.jpg
DM, scary part is he's sober when these stupid comments are made, unless he's a morning drinker, I can only imagine what he says while drinking but I did get a little inside info on that.

One of my bud's brothers is an exec with the company that was in charge of George Strait's farewell show at the Big Top and was in Booger's suite when Peterson made that call to Booger asking him to bring him onboard. Booger was hammered and bragging about that event was the largest grossing one in the Big Top's history and in the Metroplex and then started in on how every player want s to play for him, not the Cowboys, him and used Peterson's call as an example and he crossed the line about talking about his contract, a no no in the NFL.

His brother said that a woman there, who evidently is around him a lot in the suite and was the reason for him being there, told him that Booger turns into this awful braggard when he's drinking. Everything is about money to him and he wants everyone to know. She likes him but not when he's drinking because it becomes about how much better he is than others and it all comes back to the money. It was no accident that the price of that boat was released or the Boogie Bus.

If you go back to some comments he made shortly after buying the team, his greatest fear was being poor. That was his motivator and that has always been his driving force. It is a sign of insecurity within himself that everything must be reflected through his success. In that special "Before They Were Cowboys", Jimmy even addressed Booger wanted to be a coach as badly as he did but there wasn't enough money in it so he didn't pursue it. I think that's why he's so hands on with the players and goes to the team meetings, he wants to be a HC, that desire has never left him but he missed the best opportunity when Jimmy left. He could have appointed himself HC and kept his coordinators and got his own rings and then he would have been one up on his mentor.