Twitter: Cowboys Coaching Staff meets with the Dallas media - 01/27/2020

Gaede

Reaction score
Real ****
eQNKtUT.gif

Will never get old

quickccc

Reaction score

I asked #Cowboys OC Kellen Moore about him and McCarthy playbook/playcalling, etc. 'A work in progress .. We see the game a lot the same way
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kellen Moore said he was appreciative that Mike McCarthy kept him as the playcaller on offense but said the process will be collaborative as the Cowboys put together the offense in the offseason and the game plans in-season. “We’re a 2020 Dallas Cowboys

I loved the way Kellen pushed the ball downfield vertically, I love how he believed in taking over the top shots, I love how the offense got in and out of the huddle quickly, set a quick tempo, and
The read progressions was such that Dak continued the process of making quick decisions and getting the ball out of his throwing hand quickly.

- The pass route designs were much better schemed under KM, than the previous years under Linehan/Garrett. Dak for most of the year had a 8.1 yrd per att. Which was 2nd in the entire league.
The Cowboys pass game was aimed to get chunk yards in the vertical pass game and that’s exactly what it did, to the term of leading the league in total yardages.
Even over the likes of other offensive powered teams like Niners, Chiefs, GB, Saints, etc. that speaks volume of significant improvement of the team, of the OC and most importantly ..Dak Prescott.

- Kudos to new HC McCarthy, in that he keeps Kellen on as OC, as not just a play-caller, not just maintaining a newer, fresher, expanding-creative young innovative mind and 2nd hand help, but this
also keeps Dak from totally having to re-learn and totally re-adjusting to a totally different system, throwing mechanics and yet another different OC. He retains a foundation.
And whatever McCarthy brings, he adds to it and/or re-vamp a certain area rather than tear down entire thing down from what’s there.

- I liked that Kellen was dedicated to revamping the offense to give it different looks and formations (pre-snap motion offense – RPO’s etc.) to the opposing defense, more so the way
he was determined to use zeke’s running inside the 10 yd line and near the goal line, instead of going pass happy the way Linehan did.

- But Moore was not without his faults and flaws, sometimes he got to fancy and cute for his own good, sometimes he actually seemed to go more conservative on the road than he does at home.
There was an obvious tendency to abandon the run – especially in too many 2nd half of the games vs better competition.
Frankly I think the run game design was very simplistic and limited.
And we still did not always make the adjustments which has been a huge setback flaw that led to losing for years.

- But we have to keep in mind that this was a rookie novice as a first time OC.
And there is question whether he had proper game managing help from his own HC, Garrett, - whether that be the wrong mentoring and direction in his ear, or none at all.
This should be completely different ..and much better under McCarthy, rather than Garrett.

Gaede

Reaction score
I find it extremely interesting how evasive they're being about Moore and McCarthy calling plays.

They're going out of their way not to say who's actually calling plays on game days, which is odd. If Moore was calling plays, they'd just say it. Seems to me that McCarthy is going to try Moore out and see how he does in the offseason, and will decide afterwards. Doesn't want to say he will or won't at this point because of what it would look like if he had to go back on his word later.

JBS

Reaction score
I find it extremely interesting how evasive they're being about Moore and McCarthy calling plays.

They're going out of their way not to say who's actually calling plays on game days, which is odd. If Moore was calling plays, they'd just say it. Seems to me that McCarthy is going to try Moore out and see how he does in the offseason, and will decide afterwards. Doesn't want to say he will or won't at this point because of what it would look like if he had to go back on his word later.

Where are you coming up with this? It's been well documented that Moore is calling plays.

Gaede

Reaction score
Where are you coming up with this? It's been well documented that Moore is calling plays.
Look at all of their responses since the media said Moore would be calling plays (which, IIRC, had no direct quote to support it).

McCarthy and Moore are constantly talking about a collective effort, rather than one playcaller.

JBS

Reaction score
Look at all of their responses since the media said Moore would be calling plays (which, IIRC, had no direct quote to support it).

McCarthy and Moore are constantly talking about a collective effort, rather than one playcaller.

There is definitely a direct quote stating Moore will call plays.

Daillest88

Reaction score
I’m so excited for this offense. Kellen in his second year learning and working with mike, I’m sure he will get to use more of his style he wants to put in too and I’m sure we will mix it up with some west coast which I think Dak would Gm thrive in. The one guy I really want to keep is Cobb. He had some bad luck with drops but also had some big plays called back and still he over 800 yards., and he’s Mikes boy. Defense has potential tone great but we need to get the right pieces. Our offense with Cobb , amari and gallup who I’m sure will keep getting better will be scary with this offense , hopefully Connor takes another step foward too and Travis will be be back to his all pro form I’m sure of not. Can’t wait

817Gill

Reaction score

This Nolan quote is amazing, literally is telling us we are running a hybrid scheme as we go on in this coaching tenure, as the 3-4/4-3 will just be the spacing alignment decided by the personnel, not some predetermined stubborness.

willia451

Reaction score

He's got his work cut out for him. I'm excited for the rest of the staff. And especially with Garrett gone. But to me at least, given all the other changes, this is the guy that has to turn it around the most. We have got to do a lot better on ST.

ST cost us at least 1-2 games last season. And that is unacceptable.

And he's right. It really is 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. With ST being one of those 3. If it stinks, you'll struggle to win games. As we have seen.

Good luck, John.