Cowboys concerned with Maher on right hash

Beaker42

Reaction score
  1. I felt Maher was very steady last season and then hit a rough patch for several weeks.
  2. One hates to see misses from short yardage, but isn’t that counteracted by his great success rate from long range? And while it’s frustrating, wouldn’t we rather see him miss from short range, giving the other team the ball with a long field, than see him miss from long range, giving the other team a short field?
  3. His kickoffs are very good. He’s a good kicker, not great at this point, entering only his second year in the NFL....shouldn’t we give him a chance to improve?
  4. Finally, I don’t think he ever missed an end of game, short FG, with the game on the line, so another optimistic side of this is that perhaps the idea that he might be a little shaky from short yardage kicks may result in Garrett taking a few more chances on fourth down when inside the 25.
He’s not a good kicker and we saw why he wasn’t already in the NFL with another team. He’s cringe worthy.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Not many players available.

The Vikings just traded a 5th for a kicker. So dan bailey will be available soon

Pass on Bailey. We got rid of him for a reason. No reason to bring him back now, especially since he will be worse. Kickers are so fickle. Once they lose it, they rarely get it back. It's so much mental.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Last season he had:
4 missed Field Goal attempts in Open Air stadiums.
2 missed Field Goal attempts in Retractable Roof or Dome stadiums.
1 blocked Field Goal attempt.

That's the entire sum of his missed Field Goal attempts from last season.
That's 7 too many according to this forum. :laugh: He isn't supposed to miss any kicks, no matter what.

fansince68

Reaction score
Not many players available.

The Vikings just traded a 5th for a kicker. So dan bailey will be available soon
The K the Vikings picked up from the Ravens got a leg for sho. He kicks for distance (up to 63 yrds), he kicks with accuracy. And he averaged 55 yards on punts. We missed a golden opportunity.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The K the Vikings picked up from the Ravens got a leg for sho. He kicks for distance (up to 63 yrds), he kicks with accuracy. And he averaged 55 yards on punts. We missed a golden opportunity.
A fifth is kind of rich. We like what we have. - Stephen Jones

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We moved on from Dan Bailey and got the same performance Bailey gave the Vikes for much less money. If they were willing to move on from Bailey then they make a move if it makes sense.

Maher wasn’t bad last year even if he wasn’t automatic.

He was tied for 28th in field goal percentage. Take out the four players who had only a handful of attempts, and he was 25th.

reddyuta

Reaction score
we cant have him miss 1 every game.i really miss Money Bailey.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I've got a feeling we might end up with Dan Bailey again when the final cuts are in.

Nevertheless, anything could happen, with or without Maher. It's a conundrum! :rolleyes:

One thing seems likely; eventually, some pretty good kickers may be up for grabs.
For cheaper than Maher! Eye for an Eye!!!

pansophy

Reaction score
He was tied for 28th in field goal percentage. Take out the four players who had only a handful of attempts, and he was 25th.
And where was Bailey? They made the right move given the circumstances, and they will make it again if better circumstances present themselves.

davidariust24

Reaction score
He scares the ---- out of me from any hash mark.
It's like since when is 80 percent from 49 or less acceptable? He needs to make all of them. In wind rain snow or whatever. It's like the kicking game has gone south all over the league. I'd hire Morten or Gary Anderson at their age and just tell him you don't ever have to tackle chase or block anyone just kick. 3 out of 4 is unacceptable when its 45 yards or less.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
It's like since when is 80 percent from 49 or less acceptable? He needs to make all of them. In wind rain snow or whatever. It's like the kicking game has gone south all over the league. I'd hire Morten or Gary Anderson at their age and just tell him you don't ever have to tackle chase or block anyone just kick. 3 out of 4 is unacceptable when its 45 yards or less.

Man are you are Preacher? Because you are Preaching!

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Does a FG kicker have to set up 7 yards behind the LOS? Perhaps Maher can drop back far enough so every kick is 50+ yards. May improve his average, or the Cowboys should just take penalties until they are in his range.