Twitter: Cowboys could move Collins back to guard

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It's hilarious how ridiculously unrealistic and fickle fans are.

Last season was Collins first year playing OT at the NFL level. There's going to be growing pains. Apparently, to some fans you either play like a future HOFer or you suck; there's no in between or reasonable time to develop.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
[
Fleming is a swing tackle candidate to me, not a replacement for Collins. He is more of Tyron insurance.
That's exactly what he is it says...but a good one. I'm of the order that this offense benefits more with a power LG,in an all athletic line though.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He isn't very good at guard or tackle. I got crucified for criticizing his extension that made him one of the highest paid right tackles in the league. People still view him by where he was going in mock drafts instead of his play. Hopefully he'll be better than Cooper because he was a downgrade from undrafted Leary.
Leary I must admit,we missed badly.

kumizi

Reaction score

Last season was Collins first year playing OT at the NFL level. There's going to be growing pains. Apparently, to some fans you either play like a future HOFer or you suck; there's no in between or reasonable time to develop.
I dont care if he takes time to develop. But paying him like he's already a Pro Bowler is a problem.

It's the same reason Dez gets criticism. He doesn't suck. But his production doesn't match his salary.

Kaiser

Reaction score
This is typically funny thread, but not for the reasons most posters think.

This is a great move, bring in a starting caliber swing tackle by overpaying a veteran to cover what was a crying need last year. But the original tweet throws out some clickbaity spectulation and everyone goes nuts.

A swing tackle is a good thing people, calm down.

Aven8

Reaction score
People tend to forget that once Collins went down and Leary came in the Oline improved immensely. I thought he was a better tackle than Guard myself.

sbark

Reaction score
People tend to forget that once Collins went down and Leary came in the Oline improved immensely. I thought he was a better tackle than Guard myself.
by the last half of the year, with some on the job training against top level DE's.........he was, he grew into the position pretty dang good.

I'd say looking at ave. pay levels between G and T ............doubt Lael would want to change, in fact didnt he mention it early spring as a reason he jumped at making the switch.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Collins went against some of the best pass rushers in the game last year, held his own and consistently improved over the course of the season. Lael Collins is the least of our worries.

kumizi

Reaction score
Collins went against some of the best pass rushers in the game last year, held his own and consistently improved over the course of the season. Lael Collins is the least of our worries.
Lael Collins rated out as a way below average offensive tackle last year. His footwork in space is abysmal. Glad to see you're not worried about it though.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If this keeps the Cowboys away from having to draft a guard/offensive lineman with an early pick, I am all for it.

jujoboys

Reaction score
These coaches are ridiculous, *Throws Up Hands*
The OLine coach that moved Collins to RT is now with Cincy. Give the new OLine coach a break. Maybe he is just trying to fix the prior OLine coach's mistake.

jujoboys

Reaction score
If this keeps the Cowboys away from having to draft a guard/offensive lineman with an early pick, I am all for it.
I have a feeling that Jerry wants to make a splash with that 1st round pick with the draft being in Dallas.I think OLine is in play for the 2nd round pick but I really think he is looking at WR or DLine with that 1st round pick. Maybe LBer or Safety if a good one is there. I just hope he doesn't try to get cute and trade up.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
People complaining about position flex. Never get that. If Collins at LG gives us the best 5 lineman then let's do it.
Because position flex has hurt multiple players on this team !
Jones, Collins, Collins, Awusie, Woods, Crawford, Irving Etc. Etc. Etc.
Especially when they do it to rookies and 2nd year players. Can understand it for Vetrans such as Scandrick and others, but when they stunt rookies from learning their own positions first - its a detrement to their career and the team.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The OLine coach that moved Collins to RT is now with Cincy. Give the new OLine coach a break. Maybe he is just trying to fix the prior OLine coach's mistake.

Sure, if you want to apply common sense. But that isn't SOP, on this site we see one speculative tweet and completely melt down. Next stop, cannibalism!!!

blindzebra

Reaction score
It is all jumping to conclusions.

We have interest in Hernandez and Miller in the draft, we are bringing in a G/C and OT in FA. Last I checked we need a starter at LG, a back up inside, and a swing tackle. Bringing in Fleming does not mean we are moving Collins or not drafting Hernandez or Miller at 19 or with a trade down. They will probably do what they have in the past, get the best five out there and we will have no idea who those five are until after the draft, FA, and camp.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Because position flex has hurt multiple players on this team !
Jones, Collins, Collins, Awusie, Woods, Crawford, Irving Etc. Etc. Etc.
Especially when they do it to rookies and 2nd year players. Can understand it for Vetrans such as Scandrick and others, but when they stunt rookies from learning their own positions first - its a detrement to their career and the team.
What a load of crap. Irving has excelled by moving inside. Crawford had his best year going out to DE. Just when have they moved Awusie around? Woods has played FS and slot corner in college. Most people had Jones as a safety coming out of college. Collins was an OT and we had Free as the leader of the OL when we signed him.

Fans hate the coaches and the front office, so they create crap to complain about. Position flex is just like the clapping, it is a non-issue and complete nonsense.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Sure, if you want to apply common sense. But that isn't SOP, on this site we see one speculative tweet and completely melt down. Next stop, cannibalism!!!
The tweet about moving Collins back to LG has me optimistic. I never understood why we moved him to begin with. 1) Move Collins back to LG. 2) Sign Jonathan Cooper as a back up guard. 3) Sign Cameron Fleming to start at RT, 4) Draft a swing tackle. OLine is fixed.

Sheffielder74UK

Reaction score
Two ways to go here for me. Draft o-line high and either...

Draft a tackle and move Collins inside. In a few years I am guessing the new RT could be moved to flex for smith if his injuries don’t hold out.

Draft a guard, keep Collins at tackle and let him swing over to replace smith in a few years.

Picking up someone in free agency to start doesn’t help the pain we could feel down the line