Cowboys/Dak contract impasse

Nav22

Reaction score
If he can, a lot of doubters (me included) would love to see consistency in 16 games and finish at least top 10 in passing
See his last 16 games. Top 10.

See his first 16 NFL games. Top 10.

What else do you need to see exactly???

He struggled over a stretch in games between 2017-18 but has been VERY good in the rest of his young career, INCLUDING his most recent stretch of play with our new #1 WR.

Oh, and he was an absolute MONSTER on Sunday.

You should just be honest and say, “I don’t like him and I won’t change my mind regardless of how he plays.”

Stop pretending like there’s some level he hasn’t reached that will get you to say, “I was wrong, Dak’s awesome!” He could win MVP, the Super Bowl etc. and you’d give full credit to the entire supporting cast, but not Dak.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Well I would think it would be easy for them to agree to more money in years five through seven because they could simply just cut him if they don't want him for that long or don't want to pay that money whatever but that would probably raise the guaranteed money to? There's a lot of variables to this probably ones we have never heard of and wil never hear of, we will get the details of a final contract but we won't get all the information that was going on in negotiations any where's near the truth anyway

It's not just that. The salary numbers in the early years are low because of the signing bonus. And Dak will want the outer year salaries to be market rate after the initial signing bonus is accounted for.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
See his last 16 games. Top 10.

See his first 16 NFL games. Top 10.

What else do you need to see exactly???

He struggled over a stretch in games between 2017-18 but has been VERY good in the rest of his young career, INCLUDING his most recent stretch of play with our new #1 WR.

Oh, and he was an absolute MONSTER on Sunday.

You should just be honest and say, “I don’t like him and I won’t change my mind regardless of how he plays.”

Stop pretending like there’s some level he hasn’t reached that will get you to say, “I was wrong, Dak’s awesome!” He could win MVP, the Super Bowl etc. and you’d give full credit to the entire supporting cast, but not Dak.

There are a lot of elite QB's who had a sophmore slump. It's too early to label Dak elite, but having a sophmore slump is not disqualifying.

visionary

Reaction score
Well, I don't really see it as a good guy/bad guy thing. All I know is this, as an athlete, I never really cared about the wins but I have never forgotten the losses. You measure yourself against the best. Why else play the game? My point is, is it money or is it the game? Those are the two measuring sticks in question. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't have to be money, by which the measure is taken. It can be measured in terms of the game.

That is exactly why though I dislike NE I respect Brady

Even after multiple SBs the guy is intense and a perfectionist on the field. You can see he hates to lose and this is what Aikman always said that motivated him

The money will come if you chase excellence

Excellence will not come if you chase money

BatteryPowered

Reaction score

Even after multiple SBs the guy is intense and a perfectionist on the field. You can see he hates to lose and this is what Aikman always said that motivated him

To paraphrase the late Zig Ziglar; "Be extremely good at what you do and eventually someone will pay you extremely well to do it."

leeblair

Reaction score
I will say this- Dak made some impressive throws on Sunday, and I have always loved his athleticism. He is the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and is the best man for the job at this point.
How far they go with him at the helmet remains to be seen. So far, not even Wade Phillips or Tony Romo have been able to overcome Jason Garrett.
We'll see if Kellen Moore can.

Flamma

Reaction score
All this crap is crazy to me. Who cares if it's 4 years, 7 years, 23 years? If you're getting a contract to pay you 200 million, does it matter?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, thanks. So that $237.975M / $110M guaranteed is the guarantee at signing but there could be more guarantees gleaned like the extra $37M Wilson can get beyond his $70M guaranteed at signing. Got it. I thought he meant total guarantees.
For a comprehensive look at any pro sports contract, check out the Sportrac site:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/quarterback/
This links to the page on QB contracts.
I tried to take parts of the table to show the percentage of guarantees in the contracts, but it was not adequate in explanation.

For instance, Russell Wilson's contract:
4 years
total dollars = $140M
76.43% of his contract is guaranteed = $107M
with $70M guaranteed at signing
the yearly average of his contract is about $35M

Russell Wilson signed a 4 year, $140M new money extension with the Seattle Seahawks on April 15, 2019 that included a $65M signing bonus, $107M of total guarantees, and an average annual salary of $35M. At the time of signing this deal was the highest average paid contract, most total guarantees, and biggest signing bonus in NFL history.

Contract Notes:
$70M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2019 salary)
Full No Trade Clause
$35M of signing bonus deferred to 2020
$18M 2020 salary fully guarantees the 5th waiver day of 2020 (injury now)
$19M 2021 salary fully guarantees the 5th waiver day of 2021 (injury now)
$6M base escalator availabe in 2023 based on 2020, 2021, 2022 performance
2022 Roster Bonus: $5M (5th day of the 2022 league year)
2023 Roster Bonus: $5M (5th day of the 2023 league year)

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep consistency esp against tougher defenses would go a long way for Dak to get that expensive Franchise contract.
Destroying the Giants annually isn't top ten money for any QB......
I'm hoping of eating the crow BIG TIME......serve it Dak????
I don't mind eating crow if a player, team, etc., proves it beyond doubt. I'm glad he shows the ability to play well enough in an expanded scheme with a quality roster, but I want to see more - especially against the quality teams!
A couple of fingers of Crown with the crow is an good recipe. :muttley:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sticking point has to be matching the guaranteed money for Goff and Wentz. Both of those guys already were on the hook with much larger guarantees from the back ends of their rookie deals. Dak doesn't have that since his back end is a 4 year deal (no 5th year option) and a deal for a late 4th, in the first place. The team is probably willing to guarantee the same percentage of the new money that the Rams and Eagles did, but the overall guarantee will be lower because there aren't the guarantees for the current deal to fold into the package. Dak's team is probably saying the guaranteed money should match the other two, overall. Dallas has already benefited hugely because of Dak's draft status, so Dak shouldn't be effectively penalized in terms of overall guarantees for an extension. The team thinks the missing guarantees are part of the benefit they got from the original pick and that they shouldn't have to match what the Eagles and Rams had to give the #1 and #2 overall picks on their extensions.

It's a tough one to work around, IMNSHO.
Wonder how long Dak's agent holds the line before they get nervous about injury?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Some of why some players ball out during their first contract years, and then disappear after the $$$ extensions?

skinsscalper

Reaction score
People (including Dak's representatives) are basing a lot of these numbers on Goff's deal. The argument from a lot of the detractors is that Goff has led his team to a Super Bowl and Dak hasn't. Here's a little tidbit about Goff that a lot of people are ignoring:

Goff has thrown 7 TDs in his last 8 games (yes that includes the playoffs and Super Bowl) clearly demonstrating that Goff needs just as many (if not more) playmakers than Dak does to succeed (which has been a huge criticism of Dak by the steadfast mouthbreathers).

I haven't been a Dak backer or a Dak basher throughout any of this process. Have I had my doubts? Absolutely. My stance from the begin has been "prove it". I looked past his phenomenal rookie season as a bit a fluke, to be honest, and I've evaluated more on what he's done since then.

His second season was NOT encouraging, to be honest. He led this team to a string of quarters of offensive ineptitude that had never been seen in the history of this franchise. The beginning of last season was more of the same (and all the Zeke slobberers looked silly becasue Zeke made ZERO difference in a horrible start to the season).

Then he was given a legitimate weapon and (it would be a major understatement to say) things started to click. All this under the vanilla like, predictable guise of Linehan's turd play calling. Dak's performance against Seattle (especially that clutch run to get a first down) is the stuff that legends are made of. The Rams (plus the ineptitude of the defense and Linehan's inability to adjust when Zeke was shut down) killed a pretty special season for, not only the team and the fan base but, a QB that was on a roll. And a damned good one.

I'm no longer on the fence about Prescott. The Giants game didn't tip the scales, per se, but it did confirm (to me) that my leanings toward Prescott being the guy are correct. Get the deal done. This kid is the genuine article.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I wouldn’t give him a contract right now anyways

I wanna see if he can keep this up all year

You want to see if he can keep up having a perfect passer rating the whole year? Lmao. Awesome expectations y'all have. The first off game he has (and he will, every QB does), the army will be out in full force telling us how trash he is. Just wait.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I HAVE watched the last 4 seasons. From being shielded by the best o-line in the NFL, to having Zeke to draw the attention of the defenses, Dak has steadily played well but not able to lead the Cowboys through the tough times.
Hence the losses each year that keep the Cowboys from being elite.
But at this point he should be the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. He's been there for 4 years and has not cost them games. He knows the system and protects the ball. He is a momentum driven player that plays well when the Cowboys have the momentum.
And Kellen Moore will keep his vision simple, so that he can excel.
But when times get tough- like against the Patriots, for example- will he have the mental toughness to stare down Belichick's defense and co tune to any well?
You are completely wrong. First off Dak has only 3 seasons completed not 4. Second even the biggest Dak critics will tell you his best attributes is toughness and playing big in clutch situations.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Dak hasn't proven he's the kind of a player with an excellent work ethic, I don't know who has. Expecting him to equal what he did vs. the Giants would be an absurd requirement. He'll likely have a less than lofty performance now and then, although, his improvement is there for anyone with an open mind to see and appreciate.

C'mon, you guys! Let's not renew the same hand-wringing episodes we had over Zeke lately, OK? Dak's contract will be agreed upon, regardless of how anyone on this website feels about it. Dak's agent and our FO will come to terms whenever a new deal suits them. Count on it.

Last edited:

garyo1954

Reaction score
I don't mind eating crow if a player, team, etc., proves it beyond doubt. I'm glad he shows the ability to play well enough in an expanded scheme with a quality roster, but I want to see more - especially against the quality teams!
A couple of fingers of Crown with the crow is an good recipe. :muttley:

I'll have some crow as well. Thing is you can't keep resetting the market every time somebody comes up for contract talks. At some point you get to $0 and have to cut, release, or trade people you want to keep.

You gotta have room to bring in talented players or you're putting someone else's retreads on your Lambro. Safe bet is these long term high dollar deals are Jerry's immediate pursuit of a ring. By 2021 he'll have new toys he wants to keep and wheel and deal to dump the old ones.