Twitter: Cowboys deep passes since 2000

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I wonder what were the stats for how many 20+ yard completions per season during the Aikman-SB winning 90s?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll be greatly interested to see if Dak might be able to extend his average yards per pass this year. It should conceivably come either by taking advantage of improved WR separation or otherwise, by way of his managing improved longball accuracy. Hopefully, our young WRs and TEs should help produce more aerial success by increasing the offense's average YACs.

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Interesting information. Just putting it out there for discussion amigos. Have fun and keep it within the rulezzzz. Laterz

People who do these things always forget that 20+ yard passes includes 1 yard throws that went for 20+ yards and those are NOT deep passes or 20+ yard completions, but rather just 20+ yard pass plays and that's it.

For this chart to ever be relevant, they need to only count passes that were completed in the air 20+ yards.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
People who do these things always forget that 20+ yard passes includes 1 yard throws that went for 20+ yards and those are NOT deep passes or 20+ yard completions, but rather just 20+ yard pass plays and that's it.

For this chart to ever be relevant, they need to only count passes that were completed in the air 20+ yards.
You often hear this point of reference in regard to how Dak never throws deep. It doesn't really mean a ton if you have burners for WR's. For example, when we had TO on the roster he extended plays, was excellent creating separation and was a legit elite WR. I wonder how many yards he helped our QB pile up. Same with Dez in his prime.
That was one of things Dez was elite at, yards after. The guy would risk a leg getting ripped off for more yards. 2011-2014 Dez was very good-great.
I invite the idea that while Dak DOES NEED TO IMPROVE, he also hasn't been given the same elite WR in his arsenal. I'm not taking anything away from past QBs like Romo, who made some of his WR's much better than they would be or were with other QBs, such as Robinson. He was par at best on other teams. But truly elite WR's like TO balled out at a very high level where ever he played.
That's what we're lacking in my opinion. I also think the play calling needs to improve.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If meaningful at all, the interpretation should be less about the QB and more about the top targets.

Dez and Witten both slowed considerably over the last few years. Shorter routes and fewer yards after the catch.