Recap: Cowboys Defensive Linemen Drafted since 2010

kskboys

Reaction score
This is surprising to me because of the punishment he took being an undersized NT in the 3-4. He could have been a good DT in a 4-3 but he was definitely not a long term solution at NT.
Yeah, I remember it too. Just goes to show that you cannot let players decide.

kskboys

Reaction score
as exceptionally as he was as a pro bowl pass rushing NT, i thought Rat would have been that much more an impact 3 tech in a one gap 4-3 scheme, but I think he was on fumes
and his last legs in his last dayz while we were still in the 3-4 scheme.
He was only good for maybe 2 years, and then got worn down.

Qcard

Reaction score
I count 3 top 100 picks. I'm not sure what point is trying to be made here.
How can we be so successful as an organization in Draft but DLine draft philosophy has been below average...just a little self inventory... culmination in past 10 drafts releasing a 1st Rd pick is an indictment on the entire organization. It is a colossal failure...
Bottom teams consistently have this symptom.

kskboys

Reaction score
How can we be so successful as an organization in Draft but DLine draft philosophy has been below average...just a little self inventory... culmination in past 10 drafts releasing a 1st Rd pick is an indictment on the entire organization. It is a colossal failure...
I think we need a DL guy in the org, someone who understands the DL and what makes it work. From what I can gather, Jerry's idea is to throw one talented guy in there and fill the rest w/ JAG's.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
That is a mentality I have not quite understood.

So the idea is to continue to acquire mediocre talent so he can "coach them up"? Why not just get better players who have proven they can play?
I'm just passing on what was said by the FO. Its one of their typical "we can do things differently" type of ideas they come up with. See also the "we don't need a bell cow" and "we don't need a #1 WR" chapters for further reading. Remember Stephen often was quoting "Moneyball" in terms of roster building a few years ago and this was one of those ideas.

When this doesn't work; is when they panic and make trades, trade up, and/or reach for a pick of need. Its a clear pattern.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'm just passing on what was said by the FO. Its one of their typical "we can do things differently" type of ideas they come up with. See also the "we don't need a bell cow" and "we don't need a #1 WR" chapters for further reading. Remember Stephen often was quoting "Moneyball" in terms of roster building a few years ago and this was one of those ideas.
It has almost become an organizational crutch they use.

Oh well, we can just take this raw product because Marinelli is thought of as some DL whisperer. It is a problem that has to go away.

kskboys

Reaction score

When this doesn't work; is when they panic and make trades, trade up, and/or reach for a pick of need. Its a clear pattern.
Jerry also proclaimed that we didn't need a good OL because Romo was mobile.

Qcard

Reaction score
I think we need a DL guy in the org, someone who understands the DL and what makes it work. From what I can gather, Jerry's idea is to throw one talented guy in there and fill the rest w/ JAG's.
Something needs to change...Draft team just took a huge credibility hit... Organization should do an autopsy on this wreck...
How many DBs have we trashed when they have a symbiotic relationship with DLine

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that's what they were saying last year, ( that Marinelli was thought gone) after Rams utterly destroyed our run defense in playoffs.
But it was apparently never in question that Rod was finished. this organization loves the ole' geezer. they seem to think he's one of a kind, and I've heard the big three compliment him
in admiration several times over and how they are so lucky to have him here.
And the way he is still operating on the sidelines and camp, etc. doesn't suggest that he is close to being finished coaching here.

They gave Linehan more time than he deserved too. And they had the same glowing nonsense to say about Kiffin when he was here. Reputation takes someone only so far, and another year of watching old man River be this team's biggest liability will outweigh any of that admiration.

And if and when Garrett goes? The next guy won't be keeping Marinelli. But like I said, he'll 'retire', or more accurately be retired. But it will be more show that we get from this team instead of the truth. Wouldn't want to hurt feelings after all. Feelings are the name of the game around here.

kskboys

Reaction score
Something needs to change...Draft team just took a huge credibility hit... Organization should do an autopsy on this wreck...
How many DBs have we trashed when they have a symbiotic relationship with DLine
CB's have been good elsewhere, but not as good here, and that's been happening for a while, all the way back to TNew.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Marinelli Effect.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Oh well, we can just take this raw product because Marinelli is thought of as some DL whisperer. It is a problem that has to go away.

Hopefully it will. When he does.

Qcard

Reaction score

They are shocked a grizzly Man from the Greatest generation has a hard time coaching a Post Millennial!!!

Qcard

Reaction score

They are shocked a grizzly Man from the Greatest generation has a hard time coaching a Post Millennial!!!

quickccc

Reaction score
They gave Linehan more time than he deserved too. And they had the same glowing nonsense to say about Kiffin when he was here. Reputation takes someone only so far, and another year of watching old man River be this team's biggest liability will outweigh any of that admiration.

And if and when Garrett goes? The next guy won't be keeping Marinelli. But like I said, he'll 'retire', or more accurately be retired. But it will be more show that we get from this team instead of the truth. Wouldn't want to hurt feelings after all. Feelings are the name of the game around here.

but how would we know if the next HC would not keep Marinelli ?
what if that new HC is Kris Richard or Kellen Moore ? and you know management may likely push their Marinelli admiration and influence onto such hand picked HC's.
and we really do not know how Marinelli is reputed among peers and in corners of the NFL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but how would we know if the next HC would not keep Marinelli ?
what if that new HC is Kris Richard or Kellen Moore ? and you know management may likely push their Marinelli admiration and influence onto such hand picked HC's.
and we really do not know how Marinelli is reputed among peers and in corners of the NFL.

I can't say anything for certain of course, but I can feel confident that if the next head coach isn't Garrett he will actually judge Marinelli on what he's done lately, not 20 years ago.

jnday

Reaction score
Those guys are good players with our fan base but if we have so many good young players why is our defense so soft? My point is maybe these picks aren't as good as we fans are biased to think.
Good point. Fans overrate the talent all the time. This roster has a lot of talent, but there are some holes too, but don’t mention it or you will be attacked.

jnday

Reaction score
How dare you guys for criticizing Marinelli, who gave us the pleasure of watching the Golden Cock, Nick Hayden. No other fanbase has had the pleasure of watching the dominating play of Hayden and we can all thank the “coach ‘em up” genius coaching of Marinelli.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater but there is a philosophical issue in DLine draft strategy.

I think Will is great but this needs fixing wouldn't you agree?
Maybe? I don't have the same information Will McClay would be looking at. I don't know what the analytics might say regarding DL play. Like I've pointed out, sacks weren't a precursor to success in 2018, but that's only one stat. Neither was defensive pressure. I am comfortable saying I don't know either way. I just don't want to jump off a bridge based on the anecdotal evidence that is pervasive in these types of threads.