Twitter: Cowboys dominated the 2014 draft

ShiningStar

Reaction score
that moment when you realize your team cant win super bowls so they start looking for victories in other areas.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Kind of sucks that Hitchens and Lawrence only turned it on in the last year of their rookie deals, but yeah, that is 3 major hits. It's hard to ***** about landing 2 All-Pros with your first 2 picks.
How do people keep figuring this?
Hitchens started 36 games before last year
and has been a good player since his rookie season.
Lawrence had 8 sacks in 2015, 7 of which
came when the season was practically over.
They didn't just come out of nowhere
last season.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
This is great until you look at 2015 and try to reconcile that the same people were making the picks.

2015 rookies - still on Cowboys team

DB Byron Jones - good, but not dominant starter (about par for a late 1st round pick)
DE Randy Gregory - disappointing, but hyper talented (jury still out on this pick)
OT Chaz Green - BAD PICK
LB Damien Wilson
- starting SAM LB, beat out fellow 4th round pick Wilber (has shown some knucklehead tendencies, but not that far behind Hitchens in overall development), consistent special teams player
TE Geoff Swaim - solid backup and special teams player, has had flashes of good plays when given the chance
OT La'el Collins - starting RT, on the rise in performance
DT David Irving - Starter, has shown flashes of brilliance
RB Rod Smith - backup RB

Day 3 picks - No longer on team
DE Ryan Russell - now a backup DE for the Buccaneers. Cut by Cowboys in 2016
LB Mark Nzeocha - claimed off waivers by the 49ers in 2017
OT Laurence Gibson - been in Training Camp or Practice Squad of 7 different teams, never made Cowboys season roster or PS.
WR Lucky Whitehead - claimed off waivers by the Jets in 2017

Don't look now, but the Cowboys have 4 starters, and several decent backup players from the 2015 rookie class. If Randy Gregory can finally get and stay drug free, this could turn into a stellar class also. Only really bad pick was Chaz Green (if you still hold out hope for Gregory, a top 5 talent that the Cowboys picked 60th in the draft.)

P.S. Don't forget to include Cowboys starting FB Keith Smith in the 2014 rookie class, along with Martin, Lawrence and Hitchens. 4 starters from the 2014 rookie class.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
2015 rookies - still on Cowboys team

DB Byron Jones - good, but not dominant starter (about par for a late 1st round pick)
DE Randy Gregory - disappointing, but hyper talented (jury still out on this pick)
OT Chaz Green - BAD PICK
LB Damien Wilson - starting SAM LB, beat out fellow 4th round pick Wilber (has shown some knucklehead tendencies, but not that far behind Hitchens in overall development), consistent special teams player
TE Geoff Swaim - solid backup and special teams player, has had flashes of good plays when given the chance
OT La'el Collins - starting RT, on the rise in performance
DT David Irving - Starter, has shown flashes of brilliance
RB Rod Smith - backup RB

No longer on team
DE Ryan Russell - now a backup DE for the Buccaneers. Cut by Cowboys in 2016
LB Mark Nzeocha - claimed off waivers by the 49ers in 2017
OT Laurence Gibson - been in Training Camp or Practice Squad of 7 different teams, never made Cowboys season roster or PS.
WR Lucky Whitehead - claimed off waivers by the Jets in 2017

Don't look now, but the Cowboys have 4 starters, and several decent backup players from the 2015 rookie class. If Randy Gregory can finally get and stay drug free, this could turn into a stellar class also. Only really bad pick was Chaz Green (if you still hold out hope for Gregory, a top 5 talent that the Cowboys picked 60th in the draft.)
It is so cute when people decide to include UDFAs as part of the draft to make up for the busts.

Undrafted free agents speak more to the team's ability to recruit, via money and other means, the remaining talent.

Everyone knows who they are once the draft is over. It just comes down to recruiting.

It also reflects very badly on the draft decision makers when you nail more UDFAs than you do actual draft picks.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
It is so cute when people decide to include UDFAs as part of the draft to make up for the busts.

Undrafted free agents speak more to the team's ability to recruit, via money and other means, the remaining talent.

Everyone knows who they are once the draft is over. It just comes down to recruiting.

It also reflects very badly on the draft decision makers when you nail more UDFAs than you do actual draft picks.

The point of player acquisition when it comes to each rookie class is how many rookies become starters, not if they were drafted or "recruited", or what round in which they were drafted. (The Patriots are very happy with 6th round pick Tom Brady, and don't care one whit that he's out-performed all those players drafted in previous rounds by the Patriots in 2000.) You are hung up on "draft value". I care about career value of each rookie class overall, and don't get hung up on whether a 3rd round pick outshines a 1st round pick, or if a college free agent outplays a drafted player.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The point of player acquisition when it comes to each rookie class is how many rookies become starters, not if they were drafted or "recruited", or what round in which they were drafted. (The Patriots are very happy with 6th round pick Tom Brady, and don't care one whit that he's out-performed all those players drafted in previous rounds by the Patriots in 2000.) You are hung up on "draft value". I care about career value of each rookie class overall, and don't get hung up on whether a 3rd round pick outshines a 1st round pick, or if a college free agent outplays a drafted player.
There is the draft, where the idea is, a team is able to acquire the best talent with a limited competition base.

You pick the player, you own the decision.

Undrafted free agency is nothing like that.

Career value from the way you are describing it simply explains that over the past 20 years, this franchise has benefitted more when the "decision makers" were out of the process and other factors, like identification and focused recruiting, paid off.

It got this franchise it's last QB.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
How do people keep figuring this?
Hitchens started 36 games before last year
and has been a good player since his rookie season.
Lawrence had 8 sacks in 2015, 7 of which
came when the season was practically over.
They didn't just come out of nowhere
last season.

Hitchens took a step forward in his third year, and a big one this last year. It's good to see him keep improving, but he wasn't always the guy he is now.

I knew the talent was there with D-Law as soon as he put up something like 8 sacks over 7 different games in 2015, but 2014 and '16 were basically lost seasons.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The sad part is I think Hitchens will walk in FA, hopefully the Cowboys will recoup a 4th round pick or so down the line.

Hitchens is solid, but he is the text book Cowboys player. Solid but lacks play making ability. Not a pro bowl type talent.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I guess a fans work is never done. Not only do I have to hope for a killer draft, I have to hope for an epiphany by the coaching staff or GM or both. I can remember when being a Cowboys fan wasn't so frustrating. Those were the days:(

Baffling to me how little a priority Jones put on the head coaching position.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
then you need glasses

I think you need your diaper changed. Maybe some tissues. :lmao2:

Gotta love the stiff arms and the way he escapes pressure and picks up first downs and those TD's. Hell of a great young QB.

starcity214

Reaction score
Great stuff. Amazing young QB.

Pfftt!!

I mean, even Tyrod Taylor has a 6 minute highlight reel from last season and he got benched for a no name QB...

If Dak played like those highlights in the Seahawks game , we wouldn't be having these discussions..

Even mediocre players can have a few good moments here and there. Heck, even Chaz Green looked good in a couple games...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pfftt!!

I mean, even Tyrod Taylor has a 6 minute highlight reel from last season and he got benched for a no name QB...

If Dak played like those highlights in the Seahawks game , we wouldn't be having these discussions..

Even mediocre players can have a few good moments here and there. Heck, even Chaz Green looked good in a couple games...

Yah, just pure luck I guess. Hes really just a second year bust. LOL

Look buddy, if you want to hate on Dak by all means enjoy. I think the kid is one hell of a great young QB. Couldnt be happier with the future I see going forward with him.

T-RO

Reaction score
Doesn't matter, 8-8. 9-7 still the outcome

Say what? How about....
12-4
13-3
That's the pattern when this team isn't blown up

-Romo out in '15
-Zeke, TSmith, Lee etc missing lots of '17

8-8? I don't even know what that is.