News: Cowboys Draft: The best round to find a WR

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys Draft: The best round to find a WR
https://sportdfw.com/2018/04/15/cowboys-draft-the-best-round-to-find-a-wr/

...The Third Round

As I aptly titled it in the heading, one round figures to offer tremendous value for those seeking pass-catchers: the third round.

No, you aren’t going to find your pick of the litter here. You’re going to find quite the opposite actually – you’re going to find the leftovers. But as the saying goes, “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”, so too can the Cowboys find treasure as they sift through the leftovers.

And in a class with no consensus receiver ranking and widely differing opinions as to how the Day 2 talent stacks, a treasure could easily fall into their laps. This year the draft isn’t offering any clear-cut elite receivers. But it has a metric crap load of receivers that fall just a notch below...

I still think that the best plan is:

1. Offensive lineman
2. Linebacker
3. Wide receiver

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If the Cowboys trade down in the first from #19 into the late 20s, they could possibly pick up an extra late 3rd or early 4th rounder. With that said, they could do something very similar to what you professed except switch the 2nd and 3rd rounds positions and get something like this...

Round 1: OT/OG Connor Williams
Round 2: WR DJ Chark
Round 3: LB Malik Jefferson

You get more bang for the buck with these 3 players in each respective round, plus they fill in immediate positional needs.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If the Cowboys trade down in the first from #19 into the late 20s, they could possibly pick up an extra late 3rd or early 4th rounder. With that said, they could do something very similar to what you professed except switch the 2nd and 3rd rounds positions and get something like this...

You get more bang for the buck with these 3 players in each respective round, plus they fill in immediate positional needs.
I'd so sign off on that very draft...

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Man,I hate this!
with #'19& 88 jerseys vacant, one of those 10 draft picks will likely be allocated for a receiver( I'd figured it would've been on a late Rd.T.E. ) in a realistic view of what's needing drafted to compete in 2018
1) L.B.
2) offensive line man or 1 tech
3) what wasn't taken in Rd.2
4) L.B.
4) this is traded to Seattle with another similar rd. pick of the 2019 draft.

* that's the extent of my primary concerns of 'wants' thru the first 4 draft wants of 2018, if a wide-out absolutely must be taken it can happen in these latter RDS.,,, we might run with what we've already got signed to the wide-out positions.

NassauCowboy

Reaction score

You should finish your draft with the extra pick, I really like this idea. OG, DJ Chark, ILB to start.

John813

Reaction score
Way I see it, unless Hurns goes down, doubtful any WR drafted this year will see a significant portion of the snaps.
Maybe Ridley could be ready day 1, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Get someone round 2-4 who needs a year to solidify his game. someone that at least has traits of good route running and separation. Should be plenty of those guys on Friday.

Sydla

Reaction score

Jefferson is the only pick I like. Williams, I guess I could live with in a trade down scenario. I think Chark is being overrated given his combine results.

DanA

Reaction score
To me value is:
Rd 1: OG - Wynn, Hernandez, Daniels
Rd 2: WR - Miller, Sutton, Chark
Rd 3: LB - Warner, Jewell, Griffen
Rd 4: LB - Cichy, Sam, S.Moore

If we got Wynn, Miller, Warner, Cichy I'd be very happy with the haul.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Cowboys Draft: The best round to find a WR
https://sportdfw.com/2018/04/15/cowboys-draft-the-best-round-to-find-a-wr/

...The Third Round

As I aptly titled it in the heading, one round figures to offer tremendous value for those seeking pass-catchers: the third round.

No, you aren’t going to find your pick of the litter here. You’re going to find quite the opposite actually – you’re going to find the leftovers. But as the saying goes, “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”, so too can the Cowboys find treasure as they sift through the leftovers.

And in a class with no consensus receiver ranking and widely differing opinions as to how the Day 2 talent stacks, a treasure could easily fall into their laps. This year the draft isn’t offering any clear-cut elite receivers. But it has a metric crap load of receivers that fall just a notch below...

I still think that the best plan is:

1. Offensive lineman
2. Linebacker
3. Wide receiver

I'd flip the first two, assuming there's a bona fide milddle linebacker at #19, Cowboys picked up Fleming, Martin and Maher, plus they re-signed Looney. Now a #19 OT or OG is very possibly better than Fleming, et al, but Joe Thomas at 6-1/227 is certainly not a mlb candidate, and with really only J. Smith suited for Mike, there's a much bigger need for a linebacker. At #19 it's not really a question of drafting the bpa rather than for need, as anybody rated as high as #19 is bound to be a very good athlete...

Sydla

Reaction score
To me value is:

I don't see value in taking an OG at 19. With what they have on the OL already, they shouldn't need to use yet another first round pick to finally get a good OL going again. In 2014 and 2016, they had dominant OLs with Free and Leary at RT and LG. There's no need to have to use the 19th pick on another OG. To me, that's the exact opposite of getting value at that spot.

I also think Chark in the 2nd is a reach. And I like Chark but not at 50. I think his combine has inflated his actual value.

DanA

Reaction score
I don't see value in taking an OG at 19. With what they have on the OL already, they shouldn't need to use yet another first round pick to finally get a good OL going again. In 2014 and 2016, they had dominant OLs with Free and Leary at RT and LG. There's no need to have to use the 19th pick on another OG. To me, that's the exact opposite of getting value at that spot.

I also think Chark in the 2nd is a reach. And I like Chark but not at 50. I think his combine has inflated his actual value.

I probably agree with the Chark bit but don't with respect to a guard.

A guard is going to play 100% of snaps so I don't agree with the "lack of value" argument. It's also probably the position with the lowest 1st round bust rate. Why draft a guy that might only be a backup when you can get a more talented, more sure thing as a starter at Guard?

And it's not like linebacker or 1T's are high-value positions, I could get on board if it was a CB, FS or DE we needed but it's not.

Sydla

Reaction score
I probably agree with the Chark bit but don't with respect to a guard.

A guard is going to play 100% of snaps so I don't agree with the "lack of value" argument. It's also probably the position with the lowest 1st round bust rate. Why draft a guy that might only be a backup when you can get a more talented, more sure thing as a starter at Guard?

And it's not like linebacker or 1T's are high-value positions, I could get on board if it was a CB, FS or DE we needed but it's not.

Lack of value in the sense that you have already have invested a ton in the OL and this idea that the 19th pick has to go to an OG to "complete" the OL. It's overkill.

The only way an OG at 19 makes sense is if there is a strategy that involves them possibly not resigning Martin.

DanA

Reaction score
Lack of value in the sense that you have already have invested a ton in the OL and this idea that the 19th pick has to go to an OG to "complete" the OL. It's overkill.

The only way an OG at 19 makes sense is if there is a strategy that involves them possibly not resigning Martin.

I can respect that. Personally, I don't think there's a maximum amount you can spend on the O-line (within reason). WR maybe, or RB but O-line and D-line to me are positions that increase the value of others.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think you'd have a point if the value wasn't there and Hernandez and Wynn were considered a reach at #19. But I don't think anyone would consider it a reach.

Value lining up with need is a sound investment.

cmoney23

Reaction score
Calvin Ridley in the first is a must now.

From what I've read, it seems like we (Dallas) really like him too. Ridley and Hurns would be a nice duo for a Young QB.

You have to remember, we have a very young QB. Helping him develop and giving him weapons is more important than anything else, at this point.

garyv

Reaction score
To me value is:

In my view this is the best way to go: OL WR LB LB/Safety

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Ridley? So you're replacing a 6-2, 220 lb receiver with a 6-0, 189 guy? Dez's strengths were just that - his size. Ridley comes up a bit short in that regard. Had a slightly faster 40 - 4.43 to 4.52, but to me that's not enough to take him in the first.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think you'd have a point if the value wasn't there and Hernandez and Wynn were considered a reach at #19. But I don't think anyone would consider it a reach.

Value lining up with need is a sound investment.

I don't think at 19 there will be a scenario where Wynn or Hernandez are clearly the best prospect on the board. So weigh that with the fact that the team has invested a crap ton in the OL already.

Add that up, an OG at 19 is questionable value IMO.