CFZ Cowboys Edge Rushers

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are 2 basic types of Edge Rushers & some that played both styles.
Speed Rusher: ex. Von Miller
Leverage Rusher: DLaw
Both: Lawrence Taylor

Obviously there is more to Von Miller than just speed rushing.
- However, he is in that category because a very high percentage of his pass rush wins are from just blowing past OTs with speed.

Leverage Rusher could also be called Technique Rusher.
- DLaw developed an array of pass rush moves based on technique over speed.
- At at 251 pounds pre-draft, DLaw didn't have great speed (4.8 forty, 1.68 ten yard).

Football media have started using the term 'Euro Step' which is taken from Basketball jargon.

Sam Williams, despite being a 4.46 forty guy, had a high percentage of his success as a leverage type rusher.

Quick note on Dante Fowler:
- In 2020 with Atlanta in Dan Quinn's defense, he played more of the leverage/technique style than before or after being with Quinn. After Quinn departed Atlanta, Fowler played as a 3-4 OLB in 2021.

Dan Quinn obviously likes the leverage style.
- UDFA Mika Tafua's style is like a DLaw clone.
- Tafua might not have the athletic ability to make it in the NFL, but he had great technique in college.
- It took DLaw 2 or 3 years in the NFL to develop the same type of pass rush techniques.

I don't have cut-ups of DLaw or Sam Williams; therefore, I'm going to use some of Mika Tafua for discussion purposes.

Again, this is not about Mika Tafua per se. My goal is to demonstrate pass rush techniques.

This is a textbook DLaw pass rush move.
- Notice how he has that jump-step and it puts him on a straight line path to the QB.
- The hands and feet have to be in precise sync; otherwise, this move will be a big fail.
- DLaw does it will a bit more of a power move into the OT before the jump-step, but it's the same concept.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1st clip: Variation of the previous move.
- Notice the jump-step is earlier in the pass rush set.
- He then 'powers thru' turning the corner.
- Watch how his cleats are firmly planted on his steps.
- He has just enough lean (bend) to make this work really well.
- Any push from the OT ends up as pressure through his body to his feet and into the ground.
- In contrast, we've all seen many college speed rushers that are easily pushed wide if the OT breaths on them.
- The common theme with DLaw, Sam Willliams and this UDFA that over-achieved his physical ability, is that they can 'power thru' turning the corner. It is not easy to push them wide past the QB.

2nd clip: Not really a long move per se. He does flash a long arm but does not really use it.
- Notice how he has both hands on the OTs outside arm.
- It is a just a very subtle move to restrict the OTs arm/hand movement just slightly.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Outside pass rush moves also set them up for inside cut-backs which is a go-to move for both SW and DLaw.
1st clip: This spin is Mika Tafua's inside cut-back move.
- The key to this is the inside cut-back, not the spin move.
- The inside cut-back was setup by the previous outside moves to get the OT on his outside foot.

2nd clip: Notice in this wide alignment how his path to the QB is almost a straight line.
- Pure speed rushers, even on wide alignments tend to loop deeper and come back to the QB.
- Dan Quinn prefers to have pass rushers avoid looping deep because is takes them out of position against the run and it gives QBs a path to roll outside to escape other pass rushers.

JayFord

Reaction score
what i like most about Dlaw is the fact he sets the edge on run plays forcing the RB to cut back inside to the LB.....or he stalemates the blocker which keeps the LB free to make a play

his pass rushing imo isnt the best but its not a big deal either i honestly see him as a set up guy more than anything and sacks are something if he gets cool if he doesnt he had his hand in the play that made the sack

Williams ive looked at his tape he's fast his technique needs work but once he puts it together at the pro level hes going to be a good one because you wont be able to double team any edge rusher and then you have to worry about Parsons possibly coming on a blitz

fivetwos

Reaction score
Why no mention of the most overpaid guy on the team....or did I answer my own question?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Just a FREAK - lightning fast AND powerful.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Give me a big edge rusher that can stand up against the run for 17 games a year. Most of our guys either can't do that or they get hurt trying. Give me a couple of Reggie White clones.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Outside pass rush moves also set them up for inside cut-backs which is a go-to move for both SW and DLaw.
1st clip: This spin is Mika Tafua's inside cut-back move.
- The key to this is the inside cut-back, not the spin move.
- The inside cut-back was setup by the previous outside moves to get the OT on his outside foot.

2nd clip: Notice in this wide alignment how his path to the QB is almost a straight line.
- Pure speed rushers, even on wide alignments tend to loop deeper and come back to the QB.
- Dan Quinn prefers to have pass rushers avoid looping deep because is takes them out of position against the run and it gives QBs a path to roll outside to escape other pass rushers.

trying to figure out what your intent of the post are you just described the pros and cons of those type of players and ours but never really made a point.

Like me saying Horses can run real fast..

ok but...

that horse running fast can get time to place quicker then walking..ahh thats a point...