News: Cowboys expected to waive Taco Charlton, barring last-minute trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I called it a fiasco, a disaster and an implosion in this thread. If you don't see that as criticism, its because you are too busy potbanging.

I must have missed those. They weren't in your responses to me. All I got were attempted excuses.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Sure they were not very good. But they weren't that annoying and/or untalented that the team was willing to eat the bust pick and get rid of them after just two years.

I do think there's more to this than what we see. He had 3 sacks his rookie year and had success in the preseason this year. I'm not saying he's going to become a pro-bowl player, but I can see him haviing a longer career than LaFleur and Felix Jones.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Well, who didn't see THIS fiasco coming. Hey, maybe he can go some place and actually be something other then a "taco", say water boy, or maybe even the towel guy in an NFL locker room. What a waste...worst part, we get nothing for him. That right there pretty much sums it all up.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
You exaggerated your comments.

For example, half the board was not against the Martin pick to my knowledge. Most thought it was a solid, smart but maybe unexciting draft pick. He was the best OG in the draft and we had a clear need along the OL to grab someone to pair with Frederick and Smith.

And frankly, Dak was a 4th round pick and I don't think this board really has a lot of posters worrying about if they made the right late round pick. In fact, I think more people were worried we might take Connor Cook more than anything there in the 4th round. Thank goodness for the Raiders.

Smith? Well yeah, there seems to have been a real split there but that was largely due to taking a guy with a severe leg injury. I was for the pick but I can absolutely see why people were against it and their reasoning was valid.

Frederick is the one case where people probably jumped the gun. There were definitely many naysayers of that pick.

"Half the board" started with the original post so I countered with the same words on 4 players that turned out waaaaay better than anyone could have imagined and considered us to be way ahead lately...There was recently a statistic about how Dallas had more drafted players still on their roster (and contributing in a large way) from the last few years than any other team in the league. I never thought any of my original claim was BOLD by any means or would be argued to the point its being.

Zack-I dont think anyone doubted the talent of Martin, but wanted other areas addressed, and questioned if we really needed that many first rounders spent on the O-line. I would say there were just as many that wanted something else as much as Martin. Exactly as you said, unexciting pick.

Dak- I would say it is very safe to say more than half the board never thought be would ever become "the guy" especially as quickly as it transpired. The way people tell it here there are still many "haters". I dont think the pick was greatly debated (because it was a 4th), but most wanted something else after the first 2 rounds came and went with all the other big QB prospects off the board...gee thanks Jerry for giving us a real chance to replace Romo if he goes down again....I would say the consensus at the time was too little, too late.

Jaylon- A lot hated the pick...even a year and more later...was tired of Jerry's wildcatting ways and immediately called it a wasted pick, that he would never play or be half of what he was in college ever again.

Frederick- we agreed.

All those things agreeable? What there is debatable? "Half the board"? Fine...half the ones that regularly voice a strong opinion....in other words, the board gets it wrong a lot. I dont need linked proof for that. If I said the word "many" would this have sparked as much flack? Semantics, guys... :cool:

Last edited:

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, as my late father would say, "one aw-s&&& wipes out a lot of attaboys".

To be fair, the Cowboys have enjoyed a pretty darned good draft record. It is not entirely surprising that they have an occasional miss.

It is not so much the "miss" that bothers me as the way it has played out like a Greek tragedy. Both Taco and the FO should be ashamed.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, as my late father would say, "one aw-s&&& wipes out a lot of attaboys".

To be fair, the Cowboys have enjoyed a pretty darned good draft record. It is not entirely surprising that they have an occasional miss.

It is not so much the "miss" that bothers me as the way it has played out like a Greek tragedy. Both Taco and the FO should be ashamed.

Especially considering they could have drafted TJ Watt. I was screaming when I saw he was still available as the commissioner walked up to the mic with our selection. With the many great picks the FO has made, this one was a TERRIBLE miss!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Fwiw, I'm not saying he isn't about be cut, but I assume most if not all of the speculation is based on him not practicing. Once you think about it, him not practicing only means they are attempting to trade him. His salary is guaranteed, so even if he's hurt, you just IR him and it cost you the same.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question everyone should be asking but most aren't, is how exactly did this player make it through the interview process and nobody caught the fact that he did not fit the team's culture?
Depends on the questions they asked in that 15 minute interview. Manziel's was all about off the field.

These high potential picks are schooled by their agents on what not to say and if a player is not a moron, he should come off OK unless there's something in his background. Guy from the Dolphins asked Bryant if his mother was a prostitute. I don't know his answer but they passed on him.

And what exactly was the team's culture? Bringing in a DE that beat his girlfriend up and bought her off? A WR that was suspended his senior season for being stupid and lying to the NCAA? A guy falling out of the 1st because he had to have a little toke the week of the draft?

A NFL team doesn't know how a player is going to handle not being a star until he isn't. Bennett copped an attitude and Charleton came from being a BMOC to a backup. The ego can be a powerful enemy.

Alexander, I spent many years interviewing prospective employees and spent a lot more than 15 minutes trying to find reasons not to hire them and I still got fooled many a time. Some people are very good professional interviewees and masters at telling you what you want to hear.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Fwiw, I'm not saying he isn't about be cut, but I assume most if not all of the speculation is based on him not practicing. Once you think about it, him not practicing only means they are attempting to trade him. His salary is guaranteed, so even if he's hurt, you just IR him and it cost you the same.
Could be that. Could be they just don't even want him around the team any longer at all.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He was productive when given minutes. He get's pressure. The waste is coaches refusel to use him.
TO and Dez was productive as well but were cancers in the locker room. Players and coaches do not want slackers around.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Half the board" started with the original post so I countered with the same words on 4 players that turned out waaaaay better than anyone could have imagined and considered us to be way ahead lately...There was recently a statistic about how Dallas had more drafted players still on their roster (and contributing in a large way) from the last few years than any other team in the league. I never thought any of my original claim was BOLD by any means or would be argued to the point its being.

Zack-I dont think anyone doubted the talent of Martin, but wanted other areas addressed, and questioned if we really needed that many first rounders spent on the O-line. I would say there were just as many that wanted something else as much as Martin. Exactly as you said, unexciting pick.

Dak- I would say it is very safe to say more than half the board never thought be would ever become "the guy" especially as quickly as it transpired. The way people tell it here there are still many "haters".

Jaylon- A lot hated the pick...even a year and more later...was tired of Jerry's wildcatting ways and immediately called it a wasted pick, that he would never play or be half of what he was in college ever again.

Frederick- we agreed.

All those things agreeable? What there is debatable? "Half the board"? Fine...half the ones that regularly voice a strong opinion....in other words, the board gets it wrong a lot. I dont need linked proof for that. If I said the word "many" would this have sparked as much flack? Semantics, guys... :cool:

No,’excuses’, guy.

But the truth of what you wanted to say finally came out. You wanted to blame the board for “getting it wrong” rather than the Cowboys.

I have to wonder, do the same people who so clearly struggle with accountability for the Cowboys also struggle with it themselves?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Especially considering they could have drafted TJ Watt. I was screaming when I saw he was still available as the commissioner walked up to the mic with our selection. With the many great picks the FO has made, this one was a TERRIBLE miss!

Yes. Especially with Gregory’s ongoing issues and not having a viable, reliable option otherwise.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...aive-taco-charlton-barring-last-minute-trade/

Officially a Soft Taco Supreme.

22111_soft_taco_supreme_269x269.jpg
Supreme? More like a plain empty filled lonely taco.

Status
Not open for further replies.