News: Cowboys expected to waive Taco Charlton, barring last-minute trade

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by stiletto, Sep 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

55,860 Messages
    57,181 Likes Received
    I must have missed those. They weren't in your responses to me. All I got were attempted excuses.

2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

12,390 Messages
    5,777 Likes Received
    I do think there's more to this than what we see. He had 3 sacks his rookie year and had success in the preseason this year. I'm not saying he's going to become a pro-bowl player, but I can see him haviing a longer career than LaFleur and Felix Jones.

charron likes this.
  3. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

14,497 Messages
    14,407 Likes Received
    He was productive when given minutes. He get's pressure. The waste is coaches refusel to use him.

charron likes this.
  4. stasheroo

55,860 Messages
    57,181 Likes Received
    Link?

silvrNblue likes this.
  5. silvrNblue

silvrNblue Well-Known Member

1,674 Messages
    1,302 Likes Received
    Well, who didn't see THIS fiasco coming. Hey, maybe he can go some place and actually be something other then a "taco", say water boy, or maybe even the towel guy in an NFL locker room. What a waste...worst part, we get nothing for him. That right there pretty much sums it all up.

stasheroo likes this.
  6. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

6,638 Messages
    3,834 Likes Received
    I don't get it another Joseph Randle situation. He did something we don't know about

PJTHEDOORS likes this.
  7. alicetooljam

alicetooljam Well-Known Member

1,552 Messages
    1,073 Likes Received
    "Half the board" started with the original post so I countered with the same words on 4 players that turned out waaaaay better than anyone could have imagined and considered us to be way ahead lately...There was recently a statistic about how Dallas had more drafted players still on their roster (and contributing in a large way) from the last few years than any other team in the league. I never thought any of my original claim was BOLD by any means or would be argued to the point its being.

Zack-I dont think anyone doubted the talent of Martin, but wanted other areas addressed, and questioned if we really needed that many first rounders spent on the O-line. I would say there were just as many that wanted something else as much as Martin. Exactly as you said, unexciting pick.

Dak- I would say it is very safe to say more than half the board never thought be would ever become "the guy" especially as quickly as it transpired. The way people tell it here there are still many "haters". I dont think the pick was greatly debated (because it was a 4th), but most wanted something else after the first 2 rounds came and went with all the other big QB prospects off the board...gee thanks Jerry for giving us a real chance to replace Romo if he goes down again....I would say the consensus at the time was too little, too late.

Jaylon- A lot hated the pick...even a year and more later...was tired of Jerry's wildcatting ways and immediately called it a wasted pick, that he would never play or be half of what he was in college ever again.

Frederick- we agreed.

All those things agreeable? What there is debatable? "Half the board"? Fine...half the ones that regularly voice a strong opinion....in other words, the board gets it wrong a lot. I dont need linked proof for that. If I said the word "many" would this have sparked as much flack? Semantics, guys... :cool:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  8. ColoCowboy

ColoCowboy Well-Known Member

1,504 Messages
    3,379 Likes Received
    Well, as my late father would say, "one aw-s&&& wipes out a lot of attaboys".

To be fair, the Cowboys have enjoyed a pretty darned good draft record. It is not entirely surprising that they have an occasional miss.

It is not so much the "miss" that bothers me as the way it has played out like a Greek tragedy. Both Taco and the FO should be ashamed.

9. Keithfansince5

Keithfansince5 Well-Known Member

3,797 Messages
    3,780 Likes Received
    Till now, thanks man......Shate Freaking Carver....

JW82 likes this.
  10. Manwiththeplan

12,390 Messages
    5,777 Likes Received
    Interesting fact: He lead the team with 6 sacks in 1997

Keithfansince5 and JW82 like this.
  11. ChuckA1

ChuckA1 Zone Supporter

546 Messages
    667 Likes Received
    Especially considering they could have drafted TJ Watt. I was screaming when I saw he was still available as the commissioner walked up to the mic with our selection. With the many great picks the FO has made, this one was a TERRIBLE miss!

12. Manwiththeplan

12,390 Messages
    5,777 Likes Received
    Fwiw, I'm not saying he isn't about be cut, but I assume most if not all of the speculation is based on him not practicing. Once you think about it, him not practicing only means they are attempting to trade him. His salary is guaranteed, so even if he's hurt, you just IR him and it cost you the same.

13. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

17,079 Messages
    28,543 Likes Received
    Depends on the questions they asked in that 15 minute interview. Manziel's was all about off the field.

These high potential picks are schooled by their agents on what not to say and if a player is not a moron, he should come off OK unless there's something in his background. Guy from the Dolphins asked Bryant if his mother was a prostitute. I don't know his answer but they passed on him.

And what exactly was the team's culture? Bringing in a DE that beat his girlfriend up and bought her off? A WR that was suspended his senior season for being stupid and lying to the NCAA? A guy falling out of the 1st because he had to have a little toke the week of the draft?

A NFL team doesn't know how a player is going to handle not being a star until he isn't. Bennett copped an attitude and Charleton came from being a BMOC to a backup. The ego can be a powerful enemy.

Alexander, I spent many years interviewing prospective employees and spent a lot more than 15 minutes trying to find reasons not to hire them and I still got fooled many a time. Some people are very good professional interviewees and masters at telling you what you want to hear.

14. Corso

Corso Offseason mode... sleepy time

20,726 Messages
    35,181 Likes Received
    Could be that. Could be they just don't even want him around the team any longer at all.

15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

10,058 Messages
    5,116 Likes Received
    He retired to a cushion job.

16. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

14,901 Messages
    12,642 Likes Received
    TO and Dez was productive as well but were cancers in the locker room. Players and coaches do not want slackers around.

17. stasheroo

55,860 Messages
    57,181 Likes Received
    No,’excuses’, guy.

But the truth of what you wanted to say finally came out. You wanted to blame the board for “getting it wrong” rather than the Cowboys.

I have to wonder, do the same people who so clearly struggle with accountability for the Cowboys also struggle with it themselves?

jnday likes this.
  18. stasheroo

55,860 Messages
    57,181 Likes Received
    Yes. Especially with Gregory’s ongoing issues and not having a viable, reliable option otherwise.

19. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

22,010 Messages
    57,125 Likes Received
    If Taco is accused of sexual assault, he might end up with NE.

Walker likes this.
  20. Walker

Walker Texas Ranger

1,298 Messages
    817 Likes Received
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.