News: Cowboys face 4 major decisions – including one on Ezekiel Elliott

cern

Reaction score
According to whom he's taking over? Didn't see him in charge in that war room. Does anyone really think Booger is going to stay the Pres/GM and not approve of every decision and over-ride them when he wants as he did to select McGovern?
I think Stephen is the man and have said so for some time. I also find it inconceivable anyone could have come to the conclusion the war room discussion could be construed as downplaying stephen's authority. I never got that sense at all.

cern

Reaction score
Hell no. Jerry’s still Boss Hog.

Wanting to believe Stephens taking over just provides some fans more hope.
Nothing to do with hope at all. It's simply obvious. None so blind, deaf or dumb as those who will not see, hear or speak. Stephen calls the shots now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nothing to do with hope at all. It's simply obvious. None so blind, deaf or dumb as those who will not see, hear or speak. Stephen calls the shots now.
That’s a purely subjective observation without any official announcement.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think Stephen is the man and have said so for some time. I also find it inconceivable anyone could have come to the conclusion the war room discussion could be construed as downplaying stephen's authority. I never got that sense at all.
I did and so did most I’ve spoken with.

While Stephen has become more visible with the media it’s uncertain how much more if any Stephen has become with football decisions as Jerry still appears front and center on most big decisions.

There’s been much speculation but nothing officially acknowledged or confirmed from the Cowboys including Jerry who you’d think would publicly give his Son more credit if that was the case.

GMO415

Reaction score
Just give us fans a 6th SB......I could care less about the business side of this team.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I did and so did most I’ve spoken with.

While Stephen has become more visible with the media it’s uncertain how much more if any Stephen has become with football decisions as Jerry still appears front and center on most big decisions.

There’s been much speculation but nothing officially acknowledged or confirmed from the Cowboys including Jerry who you’d think would publicly give his Son more credit if that was the case.

Before the current status and directions with Stephen...could this have even been a question?

The front office of the Dallas Cowboys has made some shocking decisions in recent years. Whether it was moving on from Tony Romo, waiving Dez Bryant, or the surprise release of Dan Bailey at final roster cuts - they Cowboys don’t shy away from big moves. It doesn’t matter if you’re the team’s all time leader in touchdown passes, touchdown catches, or the most accurate kicking in franchise history. The team has proven that the only thing that matters is what lies ahead.

...Even with the cap-friendlier discount, the Lee situation is still a curious one. Most fans would agree that the old splash-making Lee that we’ve been enamored with is no more, even when he’s at full strength. Going back and watching his tape last year was disheartening. He still had his happy feet and quickly diagnosed where the play was going, but his movement was delayed. Lee appeared slow and even though his mind was quick to react, his body just wasn’t cooperating.

It should be interesting to see how Lee performs in training camp. Will they bubble wrap him to preserve him for the regular season? Or since he’s a backup now, will he have to compete to hold down the SAM linebacker spot? The team has Joe Thomas and Justin March-Lillard, who would love to have a larger role on the defense. And let’s not forget that the team used up a roster spot for last year’s rookie Chris Covington, despite him only logging one snap on defense. The team has had success with day three linebacker picks like Anthony Hitchens and Damien Wilson, so the team is hoping they can keep the trend going with solid contribution from Covington in the future.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...and-is-it-possible-he-could-be-a-surprise-cut

Help any in identifying source and directions?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If one hadn't watched Jerry circle the wagons with input from a ton of outside sources, from the point of ten years before purchase of the Cowboys and through each of the periods following the dynasty decline...then abstract could be justified by pessimism.

Now, and since Stephen has stood his ground since the Lockout, and the salary cap and roster has improved to where top players are produced from within via the draft and are now being retains....naw, Jerry has learned listening skills and Stephen has stood his ground and achieved.

Logic and applied reason isn't thrown out the window when disappointment and fanatical prove me is applied to solid grounds for observations.

Throw around as many dysfunctional labels as one wishes, but logic is still served when acknowledging the current make-up in leadership and what is being paid for on the current roster.

Over the past five seasons, the Cowboys have dominated the NFC East and does have playoff seasoning as well.

Jerry has listened to removed power from the owner, as a concept is both naïve and foolhardy. That isn't on the table as a hindrance.

Jason needs to succeed, but has a very good team to accomplish where he is able to lead. Lombardi or not, does not remove what Stephen has done and where he has influenced.

If one can't acknowledge that, then participation on this thread is an attempt to demean what has been accomplished or to ignore the significance in contribution by Stephen Jones.

Both deny the obvious improvements that have occurred...and don't rush to another Jerry or Stephen this or no Lombardi that...
No ones denying a greater influence with Jerry which has always been the case whether it was Jimmy, Bill or in this case Jason, etc.

But that doesn’t translate into Jerry isn’t still making the final decisions. Or at least taking responsibility for them or there would have been a public announcement.

Stephen has the same title and basically has the same role he’s had with the exception of more media exposure.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Please explain why Jerry isn't publicly giving his son more credit for turning over football operations if that’s truly the case?

Does he really have to give credit to an important person in his organization? What about his daughter and other son?

Rest assured, he's proud...and an element of authority, it can't be delegated.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No ones denying a greater influence with Jerry which has always been the case whether it was Jimmy, Bill or in this case Jason, etc.

But that doesn’t translate into Jerry isn’t still making the final decisions. Or at least taking responsibility for them or there would have been a public announcement.

Stephen has the same title and basically has the same role he’s had with the exception of more media exposure.

micro managing influences...there is a strong team working in the Dallas Franchise. Stephen negotiating contracts now, or is Jerry? Jerry negotiated when Jimmy Johnson was around.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Before the current status and directions with Stephen...could this have even been a question?

The front office of the Dallas Cowboys has made some shocking decisions in recent years. Whether it was moving on from Tony Romo, waiving Dez Bryant, or the surprise release of Dan Bailey at final roster cuts - they Cowboys don’t shy away from big moves. It doesn’t matter if you’re the team’s all time leader in touchdown passes, touchdown catches, or the most accurate kicking in franchise history. The team has proven that the only thing that matters is what lies ahead.

...Even with the cap-friendlier discount, the Lee situation is still a curious one. Most fans would agree that the old splash-making Lee that we’ve been enamored with is no more, even when he’s at full strength. Going back and watching his tape last year was disheartening. He still had his happy feet and quickly diagnosed where the play was going, but his movement was delayed. Lee appeared slow and even though his mind was quick to react, his body just wasn’t cooperating.

It should be interesting to see how Lee performs in training camp. Will they bubble wrap him to preserve him for the regular season? Or since he’s a backup now, will he have to compete to hold down the SAM linebacker spot? The team has Joe Thomas and Justin March-Lillard, who would love to have a larger role on the defense. And let’s not forget that the team used up a roster spot for last year’s rookie Chris Covington, despite him only logging one snap on defense. The team has had success with day three linebacker picks like Anthony Hitchens and Damien Wilson, so the team is hoping they can keep the trend going with solid contribution from Covington in the future.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...and-is-it-possible-he-could-be-a-surprise-cut

Help any in identifying source and directions?
Blogging the boys isn’t an official Cowboys site. It’s an opinion driven entity.

You’re assuming Jerry isn’t capable of listening to the influence around him as he has before winning 3 championships.

Again I’ll ask, why is Jerry not giving his Son more credit publicly if he’s taking a bigger role and making more of the final decisions?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
micro managing influences...there is a strong team working in the Dallas Franchise. Stephen negotiating contracts now, or is Jerry? Jerry negotiated when Jimmy Johnson was around.
Stephen has always been a part of negotiating contracts as VP of Personnel. His role and title haven’t changed. He’s been there every step of the way just like Jerry.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Does he really have to give credit to an important person in his organization? What about his daughter and other son?

Rest assured, he's proud...and an element of authority, it can't be delegated.
So, he’s intentionally not giving more credit to his Son while we have some fans and media which are? Interesting... wonder why?

On the other hand he has given much praise to Char and Jerry Jr for their accomplishments and roles.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Blogging the boys isn’t an official Cowboys site. It’s an opinion driven entity.

You’re assuming Jerry isn’t capable of listening to the influence around him as he has before winning 3 championships.

Again I’ll ask, why is Jerry not giving his Son more credit publicly if he’s taking a bigger role and making more of the final decisions?

Credit, smedit...this is a well run organization that holds all parts accountable for what is done. That needs no Academy Award or Inaugural Speech as well.

I haven't denied any ability on perspective involving Jerry Jones...on the contrary, on several posts I have complimented his objectivity, despite having to learn a lot along the way. Similar to much of the NFL. But to the point now, the Cowboys are handling business and both Jerry and Stephen are currently doing well at it. We shall see how this measures in the changing NFL.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Common sense requires no official announcement. That's why it's called common sense.
That’s subjective opinions. Nothing more.

When an official announcement or acknowledgement by Jerry is made then I’ll accept. Otherwise it’s noise. Hope it makes you feel better.

CCBoy

Reaction score
So, he’s intentionally not giving more credit to his Son while we have some fans and media which are? Interesting... wonder why?

On the other hand he has given much praise to Char and Jerry Jr for their accomplishments and roles.

Oh for sure, throw a monkey wrench in team essential negotiations that will affect the current Cowboys for the next five years....you betcha.

cern

Reaction score
That’s subjective opinions. Nothing more.

When an official announcement or acknowledgement by Jerry is made then I’ll accept. Otherwise it’s noise. Hope it makes you feel better.
It's common sense to me. Obviousness requires no explanation.