Cowboys face tough decisions about 2018 draft in 2022

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Most of our 2018 draft picks as well as WR Amari Cooper will present an interesting set of decisions for the Cowboys going into next offseason.

Why? The rookie deals for LVE, Connor Williams, Michael Gallup, Dalton Schultz, Dorance Armstrong, and Cedric Wilson will all be ending. And Amari Cooper, with his big deal signed in 2020 has a team escape hatch built in after 2021 which may make his future staying here a question between who do we want to keep going forward- Cooper or Gallup? And it appears that in this recent draft, this team has probably drafted its replacements for both LVE and cap heavy Jaylon Smith.

Anyway you look at it, the Cowboys top brass will need to make some tough cap decisions after this season about multiple players.

Let’s examine those players and whether or not they are likely to be kept in 2022:
  • LVE- the only way he’s around next year is if he has an unbelievably productive and healthy season in 2021. His neck injuries have been a problem since college so who knows if he’s ever going to be healthy again for long, but it will take a great season and great heathy to see LVE next year. Prediction: Not back in 2022
  • Connor Williams- for a second round pick who supposedly had some first round talent, Williams has been just ok at best, inconsistent at worst. Has he been good enough to start? Yeah. Good enough to keep with a bigger contract? No way. Prediction: Not back in 202
  • Michael Gallup- I am a huge Gallup fan. He has been effective every year he’s been here, including having a 1,000 yd season in 2019, with a slight drop off last yr after Dak went down. IMO, the key will depend on whether or not Cedee Lamb develops into the stud he could be. IF SO…I think Cooper’s salary become expendable and Gallup could get signed to a deal less than Cooper. I like Coop but he has been the best WR on bad teams for a long time. Obviously having Coop is not the key to a SB. Prediction: I’m against it, but I think we keep Cooper and let Gallup go after 2021.
  • Dalton Schultz- last year, Schultz emerged as a decent TE option after Blake Jarwin went down. But the team signed Jarwin to a big deal just before the 2020 season and I think the team is committed to him. Prediction: Not back in 2022.
  • Dorrance Armstrong- the former 4th rounder from Kansas has flashed some ability but unless he surprises us in 2021, he’s gone. Prediction: Not back in 2022 or back with a cheap deal.
  • Cedric Wilson- This guy has shown flashes of brilliance followed by long amounts of nothing. He has made plays both as a receiver and as a returner on STs. If he has a good season, he could be earning a bigger deal elsewhere next year. Prediction: possibly back in 2 C022 if under a team friendly deal.
So looking at the 2018 draft, we could be seeing many if not all of these guys gone after this season. And I will throw in Jaylon Smith as a bonus. Unless he has a breakout great year in 2021, he’s probably gone in 2022.

How do you see it? Who will remain and who will go from the 2018 draft?

If you look at those tough decisions unemotionally, they are really not that difficult. LVE is not worthy of a new higher contract based on his play and his injury that is hampering him, CWilliams has been a disappointment and can be replaced cheaper, Armstrong and Wilson can be replaced cheaper as well, nothing special. The only ones i would like to keep are Schultz and Gallup.....but sadly they may be gone due to better contracts elsewhere and the Cowboys counting on Jarwin and Cooper.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not tough decisions to me.....Gallup is the only one of substance if we're being honest. I'm sure in a contract year a few more will pop up...i'm sure LVE will all of a sudden become healthy and i'm sure Conner Williams will look like a Pro Bowler lol.

JBond

Reaction score
When you lose 40% of your draft class because you can't afford them, that indicates it was a pretty good draft.

I believe we keep LVE over Jaylon. I also believe we somehow find a way to retain Gallup. Gallup and Lamb are the future.

The real question is when can we dump our power back and not get crushed cap wise? Lots of big strong backs out there can be 4 yards and a cloud of dust for far less money. Money that can be saved should be applied to the younger core of players.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When you lose 40% of your draft class because you can't afford them, that indicates it was a pretty good draft.

I believe we keep LVE over Jaylon. I also believe we somehow find a way to retain Gallup. Gallup and Lamb are the future.

The real question is when can we dump our power back and not get crushed cap wise? Lots of big strong backs out there can be 4 yards and a cloud of dust for far less money. Money that can be saved should be applied to the younger core of players.
If its a either or then yeah I could see them keeping LVE if he's healthy. If he gets hurt again.....i'd imagine they'd still try to keep him but probably on a Sean Lee type contract.

I think they try to keep Galllup to but its going to be interesting if he struggles this year or doesn't have much success and Cooper continues what he's been doing.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll worry about all that next season.

Yep, me too, I never get caught up with who will be FA's or possible cuts in a year from now.
Too many variables as to injuries, salary cap, who plays well, who does not. Coaching changes and direction and schemes.

I understand for those that want to speculate. As I can throw out some thoughts, but then those thoughts can also be thrown out the window. :muttley:
Heck 3 players on that list may not make the roster this year. So why be concerned with 2022. :laugh:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yep, me too, I never get caught up with who will be FA's or possible cuts in a year from now.
Too many variables as to injuries, salary cap, who plays well, who does not. Coaching changes and direction and schemes.

I understand for those that want to speculate. As I can throw out some thoughts, but then those thoughts can also be thrown out the window. :muttley:
Heck 3 players on that list may not make the roster this year. So why be concerned with 2022. :laugh:
Yeah and at the end of the day if they all perform well its a good problem to have. But we don't know if those guys either get traded or cut like you said......

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The problem is “reasonable” is not realistic. IMO, All athletes at this level should be paid market value just like anyone else in the marketplace. Expecting an athlete to take less money is actually unfair imo. Do we ask owners to take less so fans can better afford to go to games?

How is that possible to keep all 4 Rock?

I think Coop is gone after 2021. He is due mega millions starting in 2022.

if Collins doesnt work out, they can use his base to pay CWilliams.

Gallup will get some of Coops money.

TSchultz gets a pay raise.

LVE is solid.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think Coop is gone after 2021. He is due mega millions starting in 2022.

That's what I thought too. We'll have to wait and see if they extend Gallup. If not, I think Coop is staying. I'm also pretty sure Cooper is getting mega millions starting this year.

quickccc

Reaction score
Most of our 2018 draft picks as well as WR Amari Cooper will present an interesting set of decisions for the Cowboys going into next offseason.

Why? The rookie deals for LVE, Connor Williams, Michael Gallup, Dalton Schultz, Dorance Armstrong, and Cedric Wilson will all be ending. And Amari Cooper, with his big deal signed in 2020 has a team escape hatch built in after 2021 which may make his future staying here a question between who do we want to keep going forward- Cooper or Gallup? And it appears that in this recent draft, this team has probably drafted its replacements for both LVE and cap heavy Jaylon Smith.

Anyway you look at it, the Cowboys top brass will need to make some tough cap decisions after this season about multiple players.

Let’s examine those players and whether or not they are likely to be kept in 2022:
  • LVE- the only way he’s around next year is if he has an unbelievably productive and healthy season in 2021. His neck injuries have been a problem since college so who knows if he’s ever going to be healthy again for long, but it will take a great season and great heathy to see LVE next year. Prediction: Not back in 2022
  • Connor Williams- for a second round pick who supposedly had some first round talent, Williams has been just ok at best, inconsistent at worst. Has he been good enough to start? Yeah. Good enough to keep with a bigger contract? No way. Prediction: Not back in 2022
  • Michael Gallup- I am a huge Gallup fan. He has been effective every year he’s been here, including having a 1,000 yd season in 2019, with a slight drop off last yr after Dak went down. IMO, the key will depend on whether or not Cedee Lamb develops into the stud he could be. IF SO…I think Cooper’s salary become expendable and Gallup could get signed to a deal less than Cooper. I like Coop but he has been the best WR on bad teams for a long time. Obviously having Coop is not the key to a SB. Prediction: I’m against it, but I think we keep Cooper and let Gallup go after 2021.
  • Dalton Schultz- last year, Schultz emerged as a decent TE option after Blake Jarwin went down. But the team signed Jarwin to a big deal just before the 2020 season and I think the team is committed to him. Prediction: Not back in 2022.
  • Dorrance Armstrong- the former 4th rounder from Kansas has flashed some ability but unless he surprises us in 2021, he’s gone. Prediction: Not back in 2022 or back with a cheap deal.
  • Cedric Wilson- This guy has shown flashes of brilliance followed by long amounts of nothing. He has made plays both as a receiver and as a returner on STs. If he has a good season, he could be earning a bigger deal elsewhere next year. Prediction: possibly back in 2022 if under a team friendly deal.
So looking at the 2018 draft, we could be seeing many if not all of these guys gone after this season. And I will throw in Jaylon Smith as a bonus. Unless he has a breakout great year in 2021, he’s probably gone in 2022.

How do you see it? Who will remain and who will go from the 2018 draft?

- Jarwin's deal is cheap, so they may evaluate his future as he is recovering .. if the recovery is strong and looks promising, Blakes' future and potential looks bright.
Me? i have my concerns about his overall durability both short and long term ,.. that's why i think it's impervious that we have a capable injury replacement TE "when" Jarwin is injured again, (ala Schultz)

- I would not want Dorrace back- if he's not gonna get any better than what he is now after 3 years, why would we not move on..? Draft another guy who could break thru, instead of Armstong whose JAG

- i don't see anything superlative about Cedrick Wilson, ..those flashes vs Seattle were more a result of blown Seattle pass coverages (not one but several) ..note how Wilson wasn't heard from since
and as a punt returner, he's just a Beasley fair catch guy type.

- LVE's future simply is gonna depend how he plays out in this 2021 year. - if he stays relatively healthy this year and really stands out in Quinn's system (ala rookie year in 2018) then he immediately raises his stock and enforces negotiation powers - either Cowboys bring the big re-sign contract or he markets himself to highest bidder in FA.

If LVE has yet another injury riddled and underwhelming year; he loses market, and will still go to highest bidder in FA,
without the resounding huge contract - either way Cowboys get a compensation pick.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Pretty sure they will all be MVP candidates and resign on long term team friendly deals.

quickccc

Reaction score
Conner Williams will not be back, imo - departure per FA,
There will be another NFL team that will bid for him than any " minimal offer" the Cowboys would offer - if they even offer him.
Per Stephen- they don't believe in offering big dollar contract ("good money" )to average player (though same doesn't hold for Crawford, Lewis and Brown)

- If Williams had become an Pro Bowler, a Newton, Ron Stone, a guy they can comfortably match vs top DTs and shut them down, then it'd be different direction and long term commitment to him.
But he hasn't progressed into that kind of top notch OG.
They may likely seek if they can get better than just serviceable.

- Either that's McGovern ..or go right back into the NFL draft with another high drafted OG in very early rounds.
But at the same time i dunno what McGovern's future will be either.
While McGovern was McClay's guy at draft time, , i dunno if OL coach Phillibin is a
fan of McGovern as well.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The cowboys have paid players at the top positions for huge contracts. All these guys will most likely be gone unless they sign for league minimum.

It is an assumption that gregory will have a big year, but I think he will. His contract is up after this year. As much as I like Gallup, I would rather have gregory. If they can pay both, than I am all for it.

League minimum and draft young guys is a good formula

quickccc

Reaction score

With Mike Gallup:
i heard McCarthy claiming that Gallup is a No.1 lead WR, dunno if that's just the usual coach speak, but observing Gallup
looks like he's more of a No.2 complementary than a No. 1 lead WR,

- i think he can make certain plays in certain spots of a game, but i don't think hes' clutch in the deciding minutes of a game
he's not game to game lead type guy production.
i don't think he has that kind of regularity consistency, mentality and pure top separation of a featured lead guy.

- He can make the occasional jump ball contested catch vs tight coverage, he can be a jump ball weapon
in close goal line situation;
He plays a tough and physical type of game, Like a power WR, he's developed a nice feel for pass game, and rapport with Dak,
he can be tough over the middle, and has some run after catch skills,
But he isn't the most smoothest, consistent route runner, like the rest of our WRs, he'll have drops.
He's quite not the Issac Bruce to Torry Holt,...or Reggie Wayne to Marvin Harrison.

- But Gallup will/would be a terrific No.2 to whatever lead feature WR we'll have from either Lamb or Cooper.

- Cowboys re-signed Cooper as the 2nd highest paid WR (at that time) but i still have my reserves about him.
Can he be a lead WR that can match up vs best shut elite CBs ? It's a reason why you pay him so vastly high dollar$$

- And a lot is gonna depend upon what Amari does this year - and Cowboys have an escape out in his contract
after this year, but given that the team not only as given up a 1st round pick for Cooper but they felt suffice to
give him such a record breaking high WR contract , but the Cooper/Lamb talk can be another time.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The way I see it...

LVE: The Parsons pick sealed his fate. Good as gone.

Connor Williams: He's an above average starter at a cheap position. I think he's a good building block to lock in for 4 years/$20M or so.

Gallup: He'll be commanding some real money if he plays like I think he'll play with Dak. We already have CeeDee to replace him. Good as gone.

Dorance Armstrong: Bottom of the roster guy. He'll either stick around for like 1 yr/$2M if a coach likes him or go look for work among the NFL's special teams floatsam.

Schultz: I like Schultz, he's just an assignment sound dude. Whether he is offered another deal will depend 100% on how Jarwin does, because Jarwin kinda got our TE money first.

Cedrick Wilson: would love to keep him, but he's like a #5 here. He'll probably go to a wideout-thin team that will give him more opportunity for the same money.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm hoping they sign Gallup and Gregory to extensions now. Gregory shouldn't cost that much. Gallup is another story. No way the Dallas Cowboys are a better team without those two players in 2022. They're not easily replaced.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think there's a very real chance the Cowboys decide to move on from Cooper and keep Gallup. Lamb's your alpha 1. If Gallup plays well but not too well that teams may view him as a 1 and he becomes too expensive, I think it will make sense to the Cowboys financially to pay Gallup to compliment Lamb long term.

It will just all depend on what happens this year.

If you're sad that this is the last year of the WR trio blame Prescott. He needed 40 million cause he's a selfless team leader and stuff.
I think there is a reasonable chance that neither Cooper nor Gallup is in the team next year. Good comp pick out of Gallup and chance to cut cap dollars with Cooper, preferably in a trade.
Receivers are cheap.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Gallup pops this year and he can write his check, he is exactly what teams will be trying to sign, just like Curtis Samuel going to WFT this season.
i think if he hits the market...teams will line up a city block long to sign him.
especially those teams with young QBs...chicago,jets,chargers,jaguars.
and teams in need of receivers like seattle,new england,green bay,indy etc....

he won't wait long.
helluva good young player.