Cowboys face tough decisions about 2018 draft in 2022

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there is a reasonable chance that neither Cooper nor Gallup is in the team next year. Good comp pick out of Gallup and chance to cut cap dollars with Cooper, preferably in a trade.
Receivers are cheap.

Zero chance of that happening.

CWR

Reaction score
Most of our 2018 draft picks as well as WR Amari Cooper will present an interesting set of decisions for the Cowboys going into next offseason.

Why? The rookie deals for LVE, Connor Williams, Michael Gallup, Dalton Schultz, Dorance Armstrong, and Cedric Wilson will all be ending. And Amari Cooper, with his big deal signed in 2020 has a team escape hatch built in after 2021 which may make his future staying here a question between who do we want to keep going forward- Cooper or Gallup? And it appears that in this recent draft, this team has probably drafted its replacements for both LVE and cap heavy Jaylon Smith.

Anyway you look at it, the Cowboys top brass will need to make some tough cap decisions after this season about multiple players.

Let’s examine those players and whether or not they are likely to be kept in 2022:
  • LVE- the only way he’s around next year is if he has an unbelievably productive and healthy season in 2021. His neck injuries have been a problem since college so who knows if he’s ever going to be healthy again for long, but it will take a great season and great heathy to see LVE next year. Prediction: Not back in 2022
  • Connor Williams- for a second round pick who supposedly had some first round talent, Williams has been just ok at best, inconsistent at worst. Has he been good enough to start? Yeah. Good enough to keep with a bigger contract? No way. Prediction: Not back in 2022
  • Michael Gallup- I am a huge Gallup fan. He has been effective every year he’s been here, including having a 1,000 yd season in 2019, with a slight drop off last yr after Dak went down. IMO, the key will depend on whether or not Cedee Lamb develops into the stud he could be. IF SO…I think Cooper’s salary become expendable and Gallup could get signed to a deal less than Cooper. I like Coop but he has been the best WR on bad teams for a long time. Obviously having Coop is not the key to a SB. Prediction: I’m against it, but I think we keep Cooper and let Gallup go after 2021.
  • Dalton Schultz- last year, Schultz emerged as a decent TE option after Blake Jarwin went down. But the team signed Jarwin to a big deal just before the 2020 season and I think the team is committed to him. Prediction: Not back in 2022.
  • Dorrance Armstrong- the former 4th rounder from Kansas has flashed some ability but unless he surprises us in 2021, he’s gone. Prediction: Not back in 2022 or back with a cheap deal.
  • Cedric Wilson- This guy has shown flashes of brilliance followed by long amounts of nothing. He has made plays both as a receiver and as a returner on STs. If he has a good season, he could be earning a bigger deal elsewhere next year. Prediction: possibly back in 2022 if under a team friendly deal.
So looking at the 2018 draft, we could be seeing many if not all of these guys gone after this season. And I will throw in Jaylon Smith as a bonus. Unless he has a breakout great year in 2021, he’s probably gone in 2022.

How do you see it? Who will remain and who will go from the 2018 draft?

I don’t believe any of those are tough decisions. We've built in some depth and unless some of those listed players perform well beyond what we have seen the last couple seasons we will likely say goodbye. Gallup is the hardest to lose, unless we decide to part ways with Coop.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Most of our 2018 draft picks as well as WR Amari Cooper will present an interesting set of decisions for the Cowboys going into next offseason.

Why? The rookie deals for LVE, Connor Williams, Michael Gallup, Dalton Schultz, Dorance Armstrong, and Cedric Wilson will all be ending. And Amari Cooper, with his big deal signed in 2020 has a team escape hatch built in after 2021 which may make his future staying here a question between who do we want to keep going forward- Cooper or Gallup? And it appears that in this recent draft, this team has probably drafted its replacements for both LVE and cap heavy Jaylon Smith.

Anyway you look at it, the Cowboys top brass will need to make some tough cap decisions after this season about multiple players.

Let’s examine those players and whether or not they are likely to be kept in 2022:
  • LVE- the only way he’s around next year is if he has an unbelievably productive and healthy season in 2021. His neck injuries have been a problem since college so who knows if he’s ever going to be healthy again for long, but it will take a great season and great heathy to see LVE next year. Prediction: Not back in 2022
  • Connor Williams- for a second round pick who supposedly had some first round talent, Williams has been just ok at best, inconsistent at worst. Has he been good enough to start? Yeah. Good enough to keep with a bigger contract? No way. Prediction: Not back in 2022
  • Michael Gallup- I am a huge Gallup fan. He has been effective every year he’s been here, including having a 1,000 yd season in 2019, with a slight drop off last yr after Dak went down. IMO, the key will depend on whether or not Cedee Lamb develops into the stud he could be. IF SO…I think Cooper’s salary become expendable and Gallup could get signed to a deal less than Cooper. I like Coop but he has been the best WR on bad teams for a long time. Obviously having Coop is not the key to a SB. Prediction: I’m against it, but I think we keep Cooper and let Gallup go after 2021.
  • Dalton Schultz- last year, Schultz emerged as a decent TE option after Blake Jarwin went down. But the team signed Jarwin to a big deal just before the 2020 season and I think the team is committed to him. Prediction: Not back in 2022.
  • Dorrance Armstrong- the former 4th rounder from Kansas has flashed some ability but unless he surprises us in 2021, he’s gone. Prediction: Not back in 2022 or back with a cheap deal.
  • Cedric Wilson- This guy has shown flashes of brilliance followed by long amounts of nothing. He has made plays both as a receiver and as a returner on STs. If he has a good season, he could be earning a bigger deal elsewhere next year. Prediction: possibly back in 2022 if under a team friendly deal.
So looking at the 2018 draft, we could be seeing many if not all of these guys gone after this season. And I will throw in Jaylon Smith as a bonus. Unless he has a breakout great year in 2021, he’s probably gone in 2022.

Schultz, Armstrong, Wilson all hit free agency and only come back if no one wants them. Possible Schultz or Wilson get extended to a starter/backup tweener contract this offseason if management really likes them and they'll take it.

quickccc

Reaction score
i think if he hits the market...teams will line up a city block long to sign him.
especially those teams with young QBs...chicago,jets,chargers,jaguars.
and teams in need of receivers like seattle,new england,green bay,indy etc....

he won't wait long.
helluva good young player.

and if those team do not have a cap issue ..and see him as a lead WR.

i've thought it over and over as to if theres a chance the Cowbobys will really re-sign and
find a way to keep the dynamic three.

if Lamb becomes the real deal holyfield as this team's true lead WR, not only will he be in line for his own record breaking 2nd contract, but at some point he's not gonna be the primary slot guy, h'es gonna be primary outside guy..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I’ve looked ahead at this team’s 2022 cap situation and they’re already over next year’s projected $208 million salary cap by over $20 million.

To me, that says not only will they not re-sign many of these players, but they’ll have to make a few big cuts as well. The two deals they can get out of and save the most money are Cooper and Smith. I think both are gone next year.
  • LVE- Prediction: Not back in 2022. Can’t afford the price or the injury risk.
  • Connor Williams - Prediction: Not back in 2022. His next contract will shock many fans.
  • Michael Gallup- Prediction: I think we let both Cooper and Gallup go after 2021.
  • Dalton Schultz- Prediction: Not back in 2022. Too good to be anyone’s backup.
  • Dorrance Armstrong- Prediction: Not back in 2022. He may not even make this year’s roster.
  • Cedric Wilson- Prediction: Not back in 2022. They drafted Fehoko and signed several other young receivers in anticipation of significant turnover next year.

stiletto

Reaction score
I’m with you on Cooper. He’s a great receiver but he’s too expensive and disappears at some of the most critical moments of games. And I’m a big fan of Gallup. He’s proven so far to be the best pick of the 2018 draft.

I don’t know what kind of dollar range Gallup will fall within after this season. Much of it will depend on what kind of season he has. If he has another 1,000 yd season (like 2019) with over 6 tds, he’s going to garner big money FA offers. It will be a nice problem to face. But I would think he would cost less than Cooper but the market is a year to year thing.

Gallup has it all in front of him if he wants to be seen as a big time receiver in this league.

No team would fear Gallup if he was the #1 receiver....they Fear Cooper+Gallup+CeeDee. If Gallup were smart, he'd realize that his real value is as a #2 or #3 receiver but I wouldn't blame him for getting that $$.. A man has to take care of his family and those type paydays don't come around often. Alvin Harper Part II (without any Super Bowl glory). LOL

I remember Laurant Robinson getting paid for ONE good year. He went to another team and had a very short rest of his career. BUT he got paid..

ghst187

Reaction score
I could see a team like KC having an injury at WR and making us an offer we can’t refuse for Gallup…
I think LVE and Williams could be back if they play well but if I were them I wouldn’t be buying a house either