Recap: Cowboys fail to make deal with Murray 2nd time

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ok partly making this to see how the prefix looks lol.
But I find it odd the Cowboys talked to the eagles,and I guess Murray for a week,
and they could not make a deal.
Did the cowboys think they could get him cheaper now, we know Murray
renegotiated his contract with Tenn, with incentives he can still make the 8 mil a year,
but otherwise is making 6 mil a year.
only 12 mil total guaranteed.

Cowboys also passed on Lamar Miller, didnt want to pay there either, so
they think any back will do.
This makes me think they will not choose zeke or henry in the draft, unless they can get them in 2nd
round.

I think it is stupid to not want to pay for a good RB, but yet pay some other players, that much or more
and they are not as important as a RB.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We made the right decision on Murray. In glad we didn't cave in a season later. At least with Miller we wouldn't have been paying age or mileage. But we can get production from a mid round pick. That's the smarter route to go.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys didn't fail...Philadelphia wanted too much from the price they over paid last season...still good management and sticking to the smart money side of things.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The Cowboys didn't fail...Philadelphia wanted too much from the price they over paid last season...still good management and sticking to the smart money side of things.

The smart is debatable, but they did fail to get either RB, to not fail is to succeed? and they didnt succeed.

What they should have done is send Jerry up there in person, and let him lay some "jerry speak" on them
and they would be so confused, they could have got murray for 2 mil a year, and we give them a 6th round pick for their
5th round pick!

CCBoy

Reaction score
The smart is debatable, but they did fail to get either RB, to not fail is to succeed? and they didnt succeed.

What they should have done is send Jerry up there in person, and let him lay some "jerry speak" on them
and they would be so confused, they could have got murray for 2 mil a year, and we give them a 6th round pick for their
5th round pick!

:)

DandyDon52

Reaction score
did I leave you speechless CC ?? : )
I posted this on another thread but will put it here too.

the whole situation was geared for Murray to take the deal. I dont think any player would turn it down
The phil offer was deceptive, 5 for 40 is also 4 for 32 and cowboys offered 4 for 24.
but the big difference was 12G to 20G That is 8 mil more than Dallas Guaranteed.

It now turns out That G money was important. They almost G as much as dallas total offer.

some bad things that led to Murray going.
1.Murray had his best and record breaking year in contract year
2. Bryants contract was also up at same time, and he would require a large sum to keep even if franchised
3. The GB fumble
4.It had to pump up his ego, then jones dont offer much, so he was insulted.
5.murray had been playing for 3rd round paycheck for 4 years so was really wanting the big payday.
6.Bradford goes to philly, and he calls Murray and says they will pay more than dallas and they can
play together again and go to SB. lol
7. Cowboys think they can do fine with any RB and the OL is all they need.
So all that and maybe more played into Murray not staying here and taking the phil deal.

Only time will tell who made the bigger mistake, Murray or the jones boys.
Could be they both made a mistake, and last year both paid the price and neither did good.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think now I would like cowboys to draft zeke, since he is supposed to be the man, and is about murrays size.
He looks smaller in the HL film, but would just like to see them get another top back who can string some 100 yd games together.

I will root for Murray in tenn, this season, no harm in that. Just happy he got away from the eagles.

CCBoy

Reaction score
did I leave you speechless CC ?? : )
I posted this on another thread but will put it here too.

the whole situation was geared for Murray to take the deal. I dont think any player would turn it down
The phil offer was deceptive, 5 for 40 is also 4 for 32 and cowboys offered 4 for 24.
but the big difference was 12G to 20G That is 8 mil more than Dallas Guaranteed.

It now turns out That G money was important. They almost G as much as dallas total offer.

some bad things that led to Murray going.
1.Murray had his best and record breaking year in contract year
2. Bryants contract was also up at same time, and he would require a large sum to keep even if franchised
3. The GB fumble
4.It had to pump up his ego, then jones dont offer much, so he was insulted.
5.murray had been playing for 3rd round paycheck for 4 years so was really wanting the big payday.
6.Bradford goes to philly, and he calls Murray and says they will pay more than dallas and they can
play together again and go to SB. lol
7. Cowboys think they can do fine with any RB and the OL is all they need.
So all that and maybe more played into Murray not staying here and taking the phil deal.

Only time will tell who made the bigger mistake, Murray or the jones boys.
Could be they both made a mistake, and last year both paid the price and neither did good.

That is abstract listing...what led to his being passed by the Cowboys, was over pricing his job description beyond what Dallas was willing to pay. Period.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Ok partly making this to see how the prefix looks lol.
But I find it odd the Cowboys talked to the eagles,and I guess Murray for a week,
and they could not make a deal.
Did the cowboys think they could get him cheaper now, we know Murray
renegotiated his contract with Tenn, with incentives he can still make the 8 mil a year,
but otherwise is making 6 mil a year.
only 12 mil total guaranteed.

Cowboys also passed on Lamar Miller, didnt want to pay there either, so
they think any back will do.
This makes me think they will not choose zeke or henry in the draft, unless they can get them in 2nd
round.

I think it is stupid to not want to pay for a good RB, but yet pay some other players, that much or more
and they are not as important as a RB.

McFadden got over 1,000 yards starting only 10 games and playing on an offense without Romo and Dez. Why pay 6 million to Murray or draft a RB in the 1st round? I agree with Idgit ; pick one in the middle rounds.

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
I for one am glad we didn't take the bait and resign him, Murray is a 1 hit wonder and could have
never guaranteed a 1845 performance for a second time last season. So by Tennessee taking him
he's done us a great favor be thankful

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Murray did 3 things no other NFL or Cowboy back has ever done, so it is amazing that people say he is a one shot wonder,
or mediocre or not worth the money he got.
People say it was the OL but every back that sets records or has a good year had a good OL or they would not
have a good year.

I guess maybe we will see what murray can do in Tenn, they got 1 OL in FA I think, and they may draft one, which should help
their run game and Mariotta.
Murray in phil was a no win situation, and is why he wanted out.

The cowboys are going to get a RB in the draft, only question is who they get and how good will they be?

jnday

Reaction score
We made the right decision on Murray. In glad we didn't cave in a season later. At least with Miller we wouldn't have been paying age or mileage. But we can get production from a mid round pick. That's the smarter route to go.

It has worked out just great so far.. Any RB can run behind this line .

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It has worked out just great so far.. Any RB can run behind this line .

You say that like it didn't, but it actually worked out fine. And that's with us getting caught by surprise at RB in the draft last year and with Randle contracting hydrophobia or whatever happened there. We ran the ball fine into rush defense fronts all year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You say that like it didn't, but it actually worked out fine. And that's with us getting caught by surprise at RB in the draft last year and with Randle contracting hydrophobia or whatever happened there. We ran the ball fine into rush defense fronts all year.

Look at us today. Even better.

jnday

Reaction score

Really,? I saw no comparison and the impact of the running game was a joke. Compare the number of rushing TDs.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really,? I saw no comparison and the impact of the running game was a joke. Compare the number of rushing TDs.

Yeah, it wasn't the problem.
Re: the rushing TDs...do you remember us getting stonewalled at the goal line a lot last season? The games I remember us running the ball in the most were early in the season when the passing game was also working. Namely, the ATL game early and the NO game where Randle got himself in hot water with the risky TD run from the 1 yard line. Once the passing game broke down, we really weren't in position to sniff the end zone all that often either running or throwing it, unless I"m remembering it differently. But that had more to dow with the QB play, again, than it had anything to do with running the ball in from the 1.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Murray without Romo...fail. Even harder while on the bench.

Running game without Romo...fail.