Cowboys fans have short memories about RBs

Jkyle

Reaction score
There are a lot of Cowboys fans on this forum and elsewhere that seem to have short memories about the RB position. Particularly when it comes to the criticism of paying Zeke the contract he signed.
There is some validity to the RB position is expendable and that most wear down before the contract is up.
But, I think Zeke is a special RB and is a mold-breaker, much like Emmitt was.
Emmitt played for over a decade at a high level. Zeke looks to be the type of RB who will excel longer than the average time frame for RBs. He has no history of getting hurt and seems to have the build/athleticism to endure at a high level for multiple years. Now, could he suffer an injury and affect his longevity but that's the nature of the beast.
His contract is basically a 3 year deal, starting this season, for the guarantees and I think he should have no problem justifying the pay given his performance and importance to the team. Many RBs that sign big deals get them out of luck due to having a breakout season and then they either get injured or revert back to their true selves and reveal themselves as average RBs who can be replaced.
Zeke is an exceptional RB specimen and if healthy, he should be the bell cow for more than 3 years and justify his contract.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There are a lot of Cowboys fans on this forum and elsewhere that seem to have short memories about the RB position. Particularly when it comes to the criticism of paying Zeke the contract he signed.
There is some validity to the RB position is expendable and that most wear down before the contract is up.
But, I think Zeke is a special RB and is a mold-breaker, much like Emmitt was.
Emmitt played for over a decade at a high level. Zeke looks to be the type of RB who will excel longer than the average time frame for RBs. He has no history of getting hurt and seems to have the build/athleticism to endure at a high level for multiple years. Now, could he suffer an injury and affect his longevity but that's the nature of the beast.
His contract is basically a 3 year deal, starting this season, for the guarantees and I think he should have no problem justifying the pay given his performance and importance to the team. Many RBs that sign big deals get them out of luck due to having a breakout season and then they either get injured or revert back to their true selves and reveal themselves as average RBs who can be replaced.
Zeke is an exceptional RB specimen and if healthy, he should be the bell cow for more than 3 years and justify his contract.

What do you base this opinion, about Zeke being like Emmitt on?

Jkyle

Reaction score
I think Zeke is a better RB than Emmitt physically gifted wise.
As for his conditioning issues, I think a lot of that was due to his off field issues affecting that. In 2017 he was dealing with the suspension issues and last year his holdout affected him by missing Training camp.
Hopefully he will be able to dedicate to the offseason conditioning and a full TC which should help his conditioning issues. It seems Zeke has always been trying to play himself into condition after the season starts.
If you remember, Emmitt also had conditioning issues. He really dedicated himself to conditioning and addressing his hamstring issues after the 94 season.
Barring anymore suspension issues, I think we will see the best of Zeke.
As for how/why I think Zeke is like Emmitt, I was referring mainly to the fact that it is possible for a RB to play at a high level for beyond the avg RB career.

ultron

Reaction score
I think Zeke is a better RB than Emmitt physically gifted wise.
As for his conditioning issues, I think a lot of that was due to his off field issues affecting that. In 2017 he was dealing with the suspension issues and last year his holdout affected him by missing Training camp.
Hopefully he will be able to dedicate to the offseason conditioning and a full TC which should help his conditioning issues. It seems Zeke has always been trying to play himself into condition after the season starts.
If you remember, Emmitt also had conditioning issues. He really dedicated himself to conditioning and addressing his hamstring issues after the 94 season.
Barring anymore suspension issues, I think we will see the best of Zeke.

lol Emmitt is the most underrated and disrespected football player in the history of the nfl, I’m disappointed that a Dallas Cowboy fan would actually say Zeke is a better running back than Emmitt. I think people forget just how good Emmitt was, people bring up that OLine but Emmitt rarely went down after 1st contact, dude was an absolute machine and is historically great.

In addition, he’s actually a good person - I’ve met both and Zeke is an absolute tool. The things you read about him in the media match his personality to a T.

Emmitt’s heart is the size of Zeke’s fat belly.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Only time will tell if Elliott has the durability and stamina that Emmitt had. Does he have exceptional talent and ability?...Yes. Will he still have it 3 years from now?......Nobody knows.

Jkyle

Reaction score
lol Emmitt is the most underrated and disrespected football player in the history of the nfl, I’m disappointed that a Dallas Cowboy fan would actually say Zeke is a better running back than Emmitt. I think people forget just how good Emmitt was, people bring up that OLine but Emmitt rarely went down after 1st contact, dude was an absolute machine and is historically great.

In addition, he’s actually a good person - I’ve met both and Zeke is an absolute tool. The things you read about him in the media match his personality to a T.

Zeke isn't a better RB than Emmitt, but physically he does have the tools to be better. He has the potential to be one of the greats. I just think he has the ability to play for many years at a high level.
As for Zeke's heart, I've never questioned it. He has always given his all. Now there are times he has gotten frustrated and seem to check out but I think that was due to the many instances where his Oline was blocking like garbage and getting him killed shortly after getting the handoff. Getting stonewalled like that multiple times a game would cause any RB to get frustrated.

Loso86

Reaction score
At this point we have to wait until his career is over to judge this basis. If social media existed like this when 22 was in his 5th year many of cowboy fans would hVe complained about his hold out and said hes not as good as 33 was. Theres really no win here. But I do think Zeke had the opportunity to be better when it's all said and done. That's when we should judge

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did Emmitt ever have conditioning issues? Were there ever moments where you questioned his heart on the field?

Emmitt had tight hamstring issues. But then he hired a personal trainer to help him with that. No one ever questioned his heart to play.

Only people that question Zeke are the fans that do not like him. But to listen to the staff and teammates, they do not question his heart or desire to play hard, ever.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Emmitt’s heart is the size of Zeke’s fat belly.
I doubt Zeke or any other player in the NFL, not just RB, would play in a game with a separated shoulder... There was a time when this game had true heros, that time has passed.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Explain. Right now no. But in not a fan of comparing different generational players
Player tangibles...

Zeke: bigger, faster, has more athletic potential

Emmitt: quicker, more jukes, more determination especially in short yardage or at the goal line, more heart.

Zeke can leap over DBs once in the open field...but refuses to dive over the pile for certain crucial 3rd/4th and 1s or goal line attempts. Emmitt would dive over those piles and convert them every time even though he was smaller and not as fast.

Emmitt always showed up. Zeke not so much.

One is physically more gifted than the other, but the other by far had more heart and determination. The results showed on the field.

Zeke is no Emmitt.

bewp7

Reaction score
zeke is probably a special talent, but his production still will never justify his contract. everything about the nfl goes against devoting so many resources (high draft picks...salary cap space) to the position. has nothing to do with zeke. it is just too easy to find running back production compared to other positons.

Jkyle

Reaction score
Player tangibles...

Emmitt: quicker, more jukes, more determination especially in short yardage or at the goal line, more heart.

Zeke can leap over DBs once in the open field...but refuses to dive over the pile for certain crucial 3rd/4th and 1s or goal line attempts. Emmitt would dive over those piles and convert them every time even though he was smaller and not as fast.

One is physically more gifted than the other, but the other by far had more heart and determination. The results showed on the field.

Zeke is no Emmitt.

How did Emmitt's heart and determination work out on that 4th and 1 at Philly?
Think of the 4th and 1's Zeke has converted strictly out of his strength and determination overcoming his Oline getting pushed back but still managing to reach the ball out to get the 1st.
No RB can thrive without their Oline contributing. Zeke's heart/desire is not something I question.
As for Zeke not diving over the pile, it's just not his style. He isn't built for short yardage jumps, he needs to build up some steam. Criticizing him for that is like criticizing Emmitt for not being able to truck over defenders. It just wasn't his style. Each RB has different skill sets.

Loso86

Reaction score
Player tangibles...

Zeke is no Emmitt.
As I said they both have there ways and nays. I'll wait until his career is over and look back over the ENTIRE body of work before I say either way