Cowboys finish with 1 offense

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First time we’ve finished #1 since 1977. That year we won the SB. Two 1,000 yard WR’s, and the most for a 3rd WR ever with Cobb over 800. Zeke finished 4th in rushing. 2019 was also the most yards we have ever had in any season.

All of that for 8-8. Shouldn’t be hard to find a HC. The question, will Jerry hire the right one?
giphy.gif

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Also a reflection that we were behind in games and therefore had to focus on scoring points rather than burning clock. You can’t just look at stats in isolation and not consider why they are that way.
That was a contributing factor, but lots of teams were behind and couldn't score. The fact that that they needed to score, and did, is meaningful. They just didn't score enough sometimes. Also, they had a number of easy high scoring wins (yesterday, is one).
What Dallas was able to accomplish (and this is NOT a positive), is rare. High positive point differential, number one offense (in yds), number nine defense (in yds) sixth in points scored, 11th in points allowed, and still go 8-8...amazing.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Being labled the #1 offense is extremely misleading. if you believe this then you are looking at the wrong stat. The top 5 QB in passing yards all missed the playoffs. This offense was horrible vs good teams. We beat up a 3 win team that sat many starters but couldn't beat an eagles team who was on its last leg to guarantee a playoff birth.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If we just had an average ST play, we'd be in the playoffs. Just cutting Maher quicker would have done it.
Yeah..

If one decision ended things early for us..

it was not replacing Maher after Thanksgiving.

Stubborn along with not replacing the ST coach.

What this has to look like to the team is that those in charge are not in control.

Remember last year when the OL was struggling under Alexander?

Gone and Columbo was promoted.

Nothing like that now.

We waffled and the team had to blink.

I know we as fans blinked.

Duh.

:omg:

Flamma

Reaction score
Like someone else said, a lot of misleading stats. Dallas overwhelmed some trash teams, had a few lopsided wins against Philly and the Rams, then padded stats in garbage time. But whenever this team was challenged this offense looked like crap.

They never looked like a number one offense to me. But I guess if you just look at stats...

links18

Reaction score
Needed some of those 47 points against the Skins, a week earlier. Garrett's offenses have always been feast or famine. Usually feast against bad teams, go into a shell against anyone above .500.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
Needed some of those 47 points against the Skins, as week earlier. Garrett's offenses have always been feast or famine. Usually feast against bad teams, go into a shell against anyone above .500.

well this year that’s factual but has it always been like that?

if so then Jerry should pimp slap himself for keeping Garrett this long !

I’d like to see if that was always the case

pansophy

Reaction score
That was a contributing factor, but lots of teams were behind and couldn't score. The fact that that they needed to score, and did, is meaningful. They just didn't score enough sometimes. Also, they had a number of easy high scoring wins (yesterday, is one).
What Dallas was able to accomplish (and this is NOT a positive), is rare. High positive point differential, number one offense (in yds), number nine defense (in yds) sixth in points scored, 11th in points allowed, and still go 8-8...amazing.
This season was about inconsistency. A lot of focus on coaching, but for me it seemed like spurts of poor play by players. Where are we on dropped passes and miss tackles? Turnover differential? Dak’s shoulder is probably the difference in the season, but we weren’t going anywhere.

Xeven

Reaction score
Turn 1/5 of our FG into first downs or touchdowns and an answer you will have.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
This season was about inconsistency. A lot of focus on coaching, but for me it seemed like spurts of poor play by players. Where are we on dropped passes and miss tackles? Turnover differential? Dak’s shoulder is probably the difference in the season, but we weren’t going anywhere.
Yep, this was about as inconsistent season as you'll ever witness. And I completely agree with you on the spurts of poor play. I sometimes wondered what the hell I was watching out there!

TheHerd

Reaction score
We averaged 33 points against the East, and almost 10 less outside our putrid division. Plus we didn't get to play against our defense.

Which is also why I'm not really sold on the greatness of the Eagles final 4 game miracle finish. Those are 4 pretty embarrassing defenses the Eagles best up on.

links18

Reaction score
well this year that’s factual but has it always been like that?

if so then Jerry should pimp slap himself for keeping Garrett this long !

I’d like to see if that was always the case

Many key games over the years where Garrett's offenses failed to show up: 44-6, 34-3 season ending drubbings come to mind.

links18

Reaction score
We averaged 33 points against the East, and almost 10 less outside our putrid division. Plus we didn't get to play against our defense.

Which is also why I'm not really sold on the greatness of the Eagles final 4 game miracle finish. Those are 4 pretty embarrassing defenses the Eagles best up on.

33 point average against the East even though we managed only 9 points against the Eagles in one game?

glimmerman

Reaction score
You pushed to hard to pass the ball. Never give up on the run. When you do that it will help the red zone Offense. When you have a RB that can run it in from 20+ yards out and you have the O-Line to do it then keep slamming it. Not giving up on the run in the last egirls game would have helped more than hurt.