Twitter: Cowboys Free Agency Spending Ranking last 5 years

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s almost like we use veteran free agency to fill holes with low cost veterans so that we can draft and develop the better players on our roster.

Almost makes me fill silly for being so sure we were going to change thinks up and blow our wad the first week of free agency this year.

jay94

Reaction score
McFadden has been a top 3 FA the last 5 years for this team, is our FO failing, I think the answer is pretty clear.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Does the list include our own FAs?
It does not.

Terrance Williams
I think there have been others we let hit free agency then brought back when the market wasn't thrilled, but I think Williams is the most prominent.

Dre11

Reaction score
Now compile a list of all free agents across the league. They generally don't pan out on average.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We have.

Because we have made errors in evaluating personnel in the past, we are now completely adverse to the process.

The whole issue is not the process.

The issue is that we are horrible at pro personnel evaluation and have been for a very long time.

That is a side of talent acquisition that most people discount.

This idea of raising the draft onto a pedestal is not all that intelligent. It just means we ignore that part of the process.
Don’t you ever give up on the hate? Do you really enjoy complaining so much? Time after time, thread after thread, post after post? Is it that enjoyable for you?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It’s almost like we use veteran free agency to fill holes with low cost veterans so that we can draft and develop the better players on our roster.

Almost makes me fill silly for being so sure we were going to change thinks up and blow our wad the first week of free agency this year.
How dare the Cowboys not overspend in free agency. That’s the going fad.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Acquisition and retention are two different things.

If you would like to start a thread explaining how awesome Dallas is at keeping their own, feel free.

This was specifically about free agency, yet you were compelled to change the subject, like it mattered.

It does matter, in the respect that you can't go hog wild in free agency when you've spent your cap extending your own average players.

Do you know what else matters? 25 year old free agents don't even remember the Cowboys ever playing in a Super Bowl. Free agents don't always just want money. Sometimes, they want a chance to compete for rings.

Aven8

Reaction score
Here are those signings:

Year - Rank - Signings

2013 - 32nd - OLB Justin Durant, S Will Allen

2014 - 25th - QB Brandon Weeden, G Uche Nwaneri, DE Jeremy Mincey, DT Henry Melton, DT Terrell McClain, ILB Rolando McClain, ILB Will Herring, S Danny McCray

2015 - 27th - RB Darren McFadden, FB Jed Collins, DE Greg Hardy, OLB Keith Rivers, ILB Jasper Brinkley, ILB Andrew Gachkar

2016 - 18th - RB Alfred Morris, DE Benson Mayowa, DT Cedric Thornton

2017 - 25th - DE Damontre Moore, DT Stephen Paea, CB Nolan Carroll

Rolondo was the best of the bunch and he left for the purple drink!

kskboys

Reaction score
That is not exactly what the original post was about.
Related!!! We haven't spent in FA due to not having the salary cap room due to previous poor signings, kicking the can down the road, poor evaluations. For instance, we paid a CB w/ #2 CB skills 10 mil/season. That signing restricted us from signing others. And we haven't had the cap room to sign some very significant difference makers due to those very same reasons. Malik Jackson, Calais Campbell, Olivier Vernon, difference makers like that. Instead, we've been using our limited cap room and/or kicking the can further down the road signing subpar players. And players such as Byron Bell and Nolan Carroll have always been bad players.

Stuff that defies logic.

kskboys

Reaction score
And still pressed against the cap. How??
Brandon Carr, Romo's can kicking extensions, TWill, Dez, Thornton, and I'm not sure how many contracts we're still paying on of players who aren't here. Overall, just poor cap mgmt.