Cowboys got 15 players from their draftable board

ShiningStar

Reaction score
It that board is good indeed.

1) Our board is out of step with how the league actually drafted.

That's an established fact.

Is the league out of step with their own boards, so that we're just drafting BPA more consistently than they are?
Is our board out of step with the league?

2) We successfully got draftable guys we wanted among the UDFAs.

Could be that we're more generous or more persuasive, to UDFAs, and so win bidding wars. Jerry did stomp the league in the La'ell Collins Sweepstakes.
Or that Dallas is one of the more attractive place for NFL players to work.
I'd expect both of these to be true.

Given that we think the UDFAs we got were draftable, you'd *expect* us to offer more for them than other teams.

It would be interesting to see how many draftable players we got according to *other* teams' draft boards. I think we've been pretty good with UDFAs for a long time. Hard to say without comparing to other teams.

no matter how great our drafts are, no matter what we do, the results are the same.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not that it matters if the players work out, but how do we know our board was out of step with the boards of other teams (vs mock drafts of analysts)?

We don't know that we're out of step with their boards, although that is a possibility.

But we are clearly out of step with how they actually drafted.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frazier helps himself quite a bit by being such a special teams ace. Be surprised if he's cut

I will actually be surprised if he is still here in 2019. If he couldn't unseat Jeff Heath by now, his chances of being a starter here look to be near zero. Add that to an expiring contract next year and he looks like a prime candidate to be replaced.

igtmfo

Reaction score
Saw this somewhere on this board, retweeted. So you figure Knight and Gifford were among those with draftable grades, if they got partial guaranteed salaries. That's kind of a new thing right? - to circumvent the limits on bonuses ...

Aaron Wilson‏ @AaronWilson_NFL Apr 27
Dallas Cowboys' undrafted deals: Chris Westry ($90K base gtd, $10K bonus); Brandon Knight ($50K base gtd, $5K signing bonus); Luke Gifford ($50K base gtd, $5,000 signing bonus)

Last year was first year we didn't have tryout guys in for rookie camp? ... I wonder if the same thing this year ... Signs that the team is confident in their talent base.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frazier has improved each year he's been here. Gets more reps each year. I expect bigger production from him this year...and yes...I would love to see him play a weakside linebacker role in certain packages. He can really lay the lumber in run support. He's been durable as well.

Frazier played less in 2018 than in 2017.

He played the 1st two games of 2018 because Woods missed those games; however in the final 14 he played a total of 50 snaps on defense.

In 2017 for the 15 games both Starting Safeties played (Heath and Jones), Frazier played 211 snaps. He often replaced Jones and played in the box when they expected the offense to run the ball.

From my study of the Safeties in 2018, it seemed obvious that Kris Richard didn't want Frazier on the field.

Even when Heath injured his wrist late in the season, and was playing with 1 arm, they didn't sub in Frazier on run downs.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
What about Luke Gifford and the other linebackers?
Those were the disappointing ones. They loaded up on both lines with Wise, Hyatt, Knight, Allen, Puni and Walker but missed it with the four they got. Was hoping for Hanks, but Miami got him. I am not all that confident in March-Lillard and Covington even as part time LBers.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Saw this somewhere on this board, retweeted. So you figure Knight and Gifford were among those with draftable grades, if they got partial guaranteed salaries. That's kind of a new thing right? - to circumvent the limits on bonuses ...

Aaron Wilson‏ @AaronWilson_NFL Apr 27
Dallas Cowboys' undrafted deals: Chris Westry ($90K base gtd, $10K bonus); Brandon Knight ($50K base gtd, $5K signing bonus); Luke Gifford ($50K base gtd, $5,000 signing bonus)

Last year was first year we didn't have tryout guys in for rookie camp? ... I wonder if the same thing this year ... Signs that the team is confident in their talent base.
They definitely need a few tryout kickers.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McClay on the Draft Show said that Frazier dealt with some injury/injuries last season and did not play as well.

Yes, I heard him say that; however, Frazier played between 13 and 23 snaps on Special Teams in all games last season.

Here is the info I found about Frazier's health including my search of the weekly 2018 injury reports.

Frazier started the 1st two games because Woods was out and that's when he was on the injury report.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Yeah, I watched the draft show w/ Will on there. I really like what he said about Kavon because this whole draft talk about Safeties has been box Safety..box Saftey..box Saftey.

Kavon is a box Safety and an enforcer moreso than any SS Richard can throw out there. Will talked as if Kavon will get a shot at the starting role... we'll see.

I wonder what's changed because#35 was available last season and they needed a box Saftey then too. I wonder what Richard was thinking? Considering they already have a prototype box SS, in house.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah, I watched the draft show w/ Will on there. I really like what he said about Kavon because this whole draft talk about Safeties has been box Safety..box Saftey..box Saftey.

Kavon is a box Safety and an enforcer moreso than any SS Richard can throw out there. Will talked as if Kavon will get a shot at the starting role... we'll see.

I wonder what's changed because#35 was available last season and they needed a box Saftey then too. I wonder what Richard was thinking? Considering they already have a prototype box SS, in house.

They gave Frazier the chance to take that box SS role in 2017, and they preferred Heath, even though it's his worst role and it put him at a zillion snaps per game. The most for defensive players.

From the point of view of the team, Frazier is basically a free agent on a 1 year contract. He has a slight edge over Iloka in that cutting Iloka helps with comp picks a smidgen relative to cutting Frazier. They'll much prefer playing Wilson for box SS snaps if he can handle it.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
McClay on the Draft Show said that Frazier dealt with some injury/injuries last season and did not play as well.

Remember when Witten was "dealing with" a lacerated spleen? He played fine that year lol