Cowboys got lucky by not drafting Paxton Lynch

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure how much effort we made in pursuing Lynch? We defintely expressed some interest but we didn’t step up to offer the picks necessary to move up to be a serious consideration.

My take is Jerry feeling the pressure of drafting Romo’s heir apparent wanting to portray a perception he was actively pursuing flirted with Lynch as a consideration.

We had several opportunities to draft a QB higher than 4th round if we were serious about drafting Romo’s future replacement but I don’t believe Jerry was looking for it.

I still think Jerry was all in on Romo and didn’t want to put any additional pressure on making that decision by using a high draft pick. Basically Jerry didn’t want to bring Romo’s replacement until Romo was officially done not wanting a QB controversy.

If you recall Jerry’s comments when all the rumors were swirling around Manziel , he strongly dismissed on draft day morning we weren’t looking for Romo’s heir apparent.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Denver wants to win now! They are willing to cut ties with players that they invested a lot into. Sometimes I wish Jerry would do that!

John813

Reaction score
I’m not sure how much effort we made in pursuing Lynch? We defintely expressed some interest but we didn’t step up to offer the picks necessary to move up to be a serious consideration.

My take is Jerry feeling the pressure of drafting Romo’s heir apparent wanting to portray a perception he was actively pursuing flirted with Lynch as a consideration.

We had several opportunities to draft a QB higher than 4th round if we were serious about drafting Romo’s future replacement but I don’t believe Jerry was looking for it.

I still think Jerry was all in on Romo and didn’t want to put any additional pressure on making that decision by using a high draft pick. Basically Jerry didn’t want to bring Romo’s replacement until Romo was officially done not wanting a QB controversy.

If you recall Jerry’s comments when all the rumors were swirling around Manziel , he strongly dismissed on draft day morning we weren’t looking for Romo’s heir apparent.

Jerry was distraught from missing out on Lynch.
Admitted the next day he wished he upped the ante.
Back then it made some sense as Lynch was seen as a QB with high potential but needed time to adjust to pro game. Could groom him behind Romo for a bit

There's an article from Todd Archer that goes into depth about the 2016 draft

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As far as Lynch poor performance thus far it’s hard for me without further evidence to determine if he was in a better offense if his performance could be enhanced.

Much like we saw Daks performance last year struggle missing some key pieces on our offense.

These young QB’s , especially the high drafted ones often go to poor offenses and teams which makes it tougher unless they’re surrounded quickly with more support.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry was distraught from missing out on Lynch. Thought he was that got away.
Admitted the next day he wished he upped the ante.
Back then it made some sense as Lynch was seen as a QB with high potential but needed time to adjust to pro game. Could groom him behind Romo for a bit

There's an article from Todd Archer that goes into depth about the 2016 draft
Yes, I’ve read that article but I never bought in that Jerry seriously pursued Lynch.

Again, I believe Jerry dangled that out there to portray a perception we were looking for Romo’s heir apparent to stifle critics.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We tried to trade up multiple times before picking dak. We tried trading up for lynch connor cook and I believe someone else

Crazy how it all works out.

The league saved us from ourselves.
:omg:

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
There is a world of difference in being trained under Tony Romo than Trevor Simien.

Lynch would be much better if he were here. Romo would still be playing. No Dak. It would have been crazy to see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is a world of difference in being trained under Tony Romo than Trevor Simien.

Lynch would be much better if he were here. Romo would still be playing. No Dak. It would have been crazy to see.
Of course Lynch would be better here behind this OL and w/ running game.

And I would have been good with still drafting Dak who should be the backup QB we were always looking for.

Pants

Reaction score
Who cares who Jerry wants any more, it has become obvious that they just stick him in front of the camera and let him make the first call (again, on camera) to the draftees...that is enough to fill his cup of narcissism...the McClay & company make our picks any more and thank God for that! (raises mug)

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yes, I’ve read that article but I never bought in that Jerry seriously pursued Lynch.

Again, I believe Jerry dangled that out there to portray a perception we were looking for Romo’s heir apparent to stifle critics.
You were relentless in your criticism of Jerry for not getting Lynch.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Correct. I argued he didn’t make enough effort only dangling the notion to soften the criticism we weren’t pursuing Romo’s heir apparent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would add I was more critical of Jerry not pursuing a QB early in the draft like Lynch than I was supporting any particular QB.

In other words my criticism was centered around Jerry’s perception if he was truly serious about drafting Romo’s heir not in actual support of Lynch or any of the QB in draft.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Please refresh my memory Weren't the cowboys looking to draft Lynch until the Broncos jumped ahead of them. From what I've seen tonight & last year. Thank you John Elway.
I was a Lynch fan, so Ill play devils advocate a bit here. Lynch was the most talented passer in that draft, even more so then Wentz. At that prospect stage, he was able to do something very few can do and is throw with touch effectively for someone with a cannon arm.

His draft spot is a red flag. QB's with his talent rarely go outside the top 5, let alone the late first round. There were reports his interviews werent great, but it must have been much worse. And he is showing us how much of the position is mental.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who cares who Jerry wants any more, it has become obvious that they just stick him in front of the camera and let him make the first call (again, on camera) to the draftees...that is enough to fill his cup of narcissism...the McClay & company make our picks any more and thank God for that! (raises mug)
There are still enough questionable decisions being made to support Jerry is still calling the shots. What’s changed is he’s recieving better influence.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was a Lynch fan, so Ill play devils advocate a bit here. Lynch was the most talented passer in that draft, even more so then Wentz. At that prospect stage, he was able to do something very few can do and is throw with touch effectively for someone with a cannon arm.

His draft spot is a red flag. QB's with his talent rarely go outside the top 5, let alone the late first round. There were reports his interviews werent great, but it must have been much worse. And he is showing us how much of the position is mental.
Wentz and Goff were by far at least IMO far and above the best 2 QB in draft. Lynch went late in 1st round for a reason. Honestly with the 4th pick in the draft I would have liked to see us pursue one of them.

I was actually bigger on Goff as I’d followed and watched him more in his career. I’d never seen Lynch play until the Bowl game and he wasn’t overly impressive. I liked Conner Cook or the kid from Penn St ( Christian..) as much. Mostly I wanted us to use a higher pick , at least a 2nd rounder and we could have still drafted Dak.

With Romo’s injuries drafting 2 QB’s would have been a sound move.

Sinister

Reaction score
Wentz and Goff were by far at least IMO far and above the best 2 QB in draft. Lynch went late in 1st round for a reason. Honestly with the 4th pick in the draft I would have liked to see us pursue one of them.

I was actually bigger on Goff as I’d followed and watched him more in his career. I’d never seen Lynch play until the Bowl game and he wasn’t overly impressive. I liked Conner Cook or the kid from Penn St ( Christian..) as much. Mostly I wanted us to use a higher pick , at least a 2nd rounder and we could have still drafted Dak.

With Romo’s injuries drafting 2 QB’s would have been a sound move.

Looking back Paxton Lynch was overrated coming out. I don't fault anyone for overrating him, but come on Jerry was visibly upset that Lynch went to the Broncos. Not only did he look upset he confirmed that he wanted Lynch at the press conference later that day.

I think he was less upset about Cook, but he wanted Lynch there is no doubt about it.

Also, I think it is a horrrible idea to draft two rookie qb's in any draft. There is just not enough balls to go around.